Is it a Van Gogh? fingers crossed

webfact

50 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If it turns out to be genuine will there be a loud cry of Ear Ear ?

Anyway if it is good luck to her. I don't understand the value placed on these paintings etc beautiful as they may be. I think most of the values are just investment risks by some who have more money than they know what to do with, and no, it's not jealousy it's entirely their choice.

Prefer something original and old in the engineering field like steam engines etc etc. Beam engines that you can see touch hear, now that's worth looking after, real history worth taking care of.

Edit.

I have one old relic at home I enjoy looking after but for Chr-ts sake don't tell her I said that.

That's interesting, SWMBO said the very same thing.... 

52 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If it turns out to be genuine will there be a loud cry of Ear Ear ?

Anyway if it is good luck to her. I don't understand the value placed on these paintings etc beautiful as they may be. I think most of the values are just investment risks by some who have more money than they know what to do with, and no, it's not jealousy it's entirely their choice.

Prefer something original and old in the engineering field like steam engines etc etc. Beam engines that you can see touch hear, now that's worth looking after, real history worth taking care of.

Edit.

I have one old relic at home I enjoy looking after but for Chr-ts sake don't tell her I said that.

Now you're talking, any old steam driven equipment, beam engine, steam engine, steam-roller, or even early internal combustion engines. 

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Now you're talking, any old steam driven equipment, beam engine, steam engine, steam-roller, or even early internal combustion engines. 

Just watched a documentary on Diesel ( the man ) who was found drowned, suspected suicide, from a ferry in the North Sea?

They reckon he topped himself because the diesel engine was used to power so many war vehicles when his whole idea was to improve agricultural machinery and manufacturing etc etc. Steam powered took hours to get up to pressure so the diesel engine was instant, in comparrison 1minute to get going and twice as efficient as gasoline so half the cost to run.

They showed the original machine he made and it fired up first time and is still looking like it was made just a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

Where is the provenance? Without that paperwork, the painting is worthless, can it be reliably traced back to when it was painted, through a line of owners? The scientific work done on it sounds dubious. It's well known that Gogh painted with oil paints from tubes in bright colours, particularly yellow, which he was obsessed with to the point of eating it. Van Gogh died penniless, this women probably will too.

This makes little sense.  If there is a known original, which I presume is the one in color, how in the world would she realistically expect the black and white "copy" to also have been done by the man?  Was he known for painting different types of copies of his own work?  If the pigment and fiber dating holds true (which I doubt without knowing the chain of custody of the samples) then it seems plausible I guess that somebody could have painted a copy a hundred or more years ago.