Learning to Ride a Motorbike Safely

Cochrane

9 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Not only that, but also, the OP is talking about Pattaya (party central). Although he is attempting to do the responsible thing, how many foreigners are going to be out there recklessly driving drunk at all hours of the day.  Just that scenario is one that would keep me resigned to baht busses and walking wherever I need to go.

Drunk drivers are the scariest thought for sure.  One of my accidents was the result of a drunk driver pulling out of a bar parking lot at night and running me off the road into a ditch.  There was nothing I could do to avoid it.  He didn't even stop to see if I was hurt.  A week later I put my bike up for sale and haven't ridden a motorbike since.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I used to ride a motorbike in Chiang Mai about 6 years ago before the traffic got to be overwhelming.  Now, I wouldn’t even chance it and there is no way that you would catch me on a motorbike in Pattaya or any other major cities/tourist centers.  It’s not so much my own skills and awareness that concerns me but the lack of awareness in the other riders/drivers.

Funny thing. with all the heavy traffic and constant traffic jams here in Chiang Mai, I find that I seem to get around much quicker on a bicycle!  Not only that, but I feel MUCH safer since my speed over ground is slower giving me more time to react, and I have more maneuverability.  Plus, other drivers do seem to show more courtesy and caution around a cyclist than they do among themselves!

Edited by Kohsamida

8 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Drunk drivers are the scariest thought for sure.  One of my accidents was the result of a drunk driver pulling out of a bar parking lot at night and running me off the road into a ditch.  There was nothing I could do to avoid it.  He didn't even stop to see if I was hurt.  A week later I put my bike up for sale and haven't ridden a motorbike since.

I bought a 2nd hand scooter in BKK, rode it around my Asoke neighborhood for half an hour, and it scared the crap out of me.  It's been under tarp for 5 years now...  And I feel no sense of embarrassment to admit it. 

According to studies done in Aus and the USA, scooters are 20-40 times as dangerous per km driven as a 4 wheel vehicle.  Wear the helmet, sure.  Get the training, absolutely.  But you cross the safety Rubicon when you climb on a scooter instead of into a 4 wheeled vehicle. 

I do it every day using motosai taxis, because the time they save me balances out with the statistical odds of getting killed in the 1 km to my local BTS stop.  But that Fino is going to stay under the tarp until I break down and sell it.  I'd give it to friends, but couldn't live with the consequences if they killed themselves on it.

• Like 2

Take the bike to a road with NO traffic and get familiar with the brakes, switching gears, etc...but always wear a full face helmet. A leather jacket, gloves, jeans/leather pants, and boots are helpful as well.

Make brake tests and see what happens when you pull both brakes doing 30 km/h.

Try to understand that a front disc brake has got more power than the rear brake shoes. Never pull the front brake alone with full power, it will kick you off, especially when it rains.

Try some slalom exercises, easy to do with plastic bottles, then please try to drive around without crashing, then set the bottles closer and try it again.

Never drive with a pillow driver, in the beginning, understand that not all people know that their weight is very important when driving into a curve. The wrong action of a pillow driver can kill you.

Once you can handle all situations, including night rides, try your skills on a road with not too much traffic. Get used to thousand bikes at a traffic light and all wanna be first right before the light turns green. 

Have always safe trips!!!

http://yohoyoho.club/en/motoschool/

Don't Be an Idiot With Your Own Safety

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I bought a 2nd hand scooter in BKK, rode it around my Asoke neighborhood for half an hour, and it scared the crap out of me.  It's been under tarp for 5 years now...  And I feel no sense of embarrassment to admit it. 

According to studies done in Aus and the USA, scooters are 20-40 times as dangerous per km driven as a 4 wheel vehicle.  Wear the helmet, sure.  Get the training, absolutely.  But you cross the safety Rubicon when you climb on a scooter instead of into a 4 wheeled vehicle. 

I do it every day using motosai taxis, because the time they save me balances out with the statistical odds of getting killed in the 1 km to my local BTS stop.  But that Fino is going to stay under the tarp until I break down and sell it.  I'd give it to friends, but couldn't live with the consequences if they killed themselves on it.

LOL...I am constantly looking at motor scooters zip by and thinking how nice it would be to have one.  Some of them are really quite nice looking, and it honestly does look like fun to ride one around here in Chiang Mai, zip up Doi Suthep whenever you felt the urge, or just explore the countryside on one.  Then, I see someone do something really stupid on one in traffic, or see someone almost hit an unsuspecting bike rider, and I come to my senses!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

LOL...I am constantly looking at motor scooters zip by and thinking how nice it would be to have one.  Some of them are really quite nice looking, and it honestly does look like fun to ride one around here in Chiang Mai, zip up Doi Suthep whenever you felt the urge, or just explore the countryside on one.  Then, I see someone do something really stupid on one in traffic, or see someone almost hit an unsuspecting bike rider, and I come to my senses!

If you are scared of driving, you'll have problems. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies. I will have another look a the Honda and Yamaha Safety Courses. I have never been to Chang Mai so a break up there to do the Honda Course might be a good option ...

But still no local choices in or around Pattaya with regard to a recommended Driving School?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I rode big bikes in the States for ten years.  I'm not scared of driving; I'm scared of OTHER drivers on the road and their complete unpredictability (and often their incredible stupidity and lack of concern for others).  I'm also a licensed pilot.  When flying I have very little fear about air traffic because I know that everyone else up there is practicing the same due diligence for safety that I am.  That's not the case at all when it comes to drivers on the ground.

I totally agree with you. Most drivers here do not have any sort of training whatsoever. It's more like an instinct, but not a good one. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

How about some lessons with Noi? But you'll have to sit right behind her for a few hours. I hope that it/she doesn't irritate you.....

Drive instrutor.jpg

Well, I have to say that sure is one nice, ummm... bike.

Edited by Kohsamida

23 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I'm not anti-scooter, just like I'm not anti zip lining, or rock climbing, or scuba diving, or general aviation, or any of the activities that require riders on a life insurance policy.   Some of the fun things in life carry increased risk.   In my mind, exploring the countryside on a scooter would be worth the added risk.  If only I lived near a countryside.

It's still a lot less than one in 10 million odds of getting creamed per km driven.  But, over the years, the odds accumulate and I'm not willing to adopt a scooter as my primary mode of transport while I'm living in town.  (On an aside, I even hate driving a 4 wheeler from my home in Asoke, because I know the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes -or more- of every trip are going to be through a soul crushing traffic jam.)  If I lived in the boondocks, the calculation changes.  It may well be worth the risk for the added mobility, the adventure and the wind whistling through my bald head.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not anti-scooter, just like I'm not anti zip lining, or rock climbing, or scuba diving, or general aviation, or any of the activities that require riders on a life insurance policy.   Some of the fun things in life carry increased risk.   In my mind, exploring the countryside on a scooter would be worth the added risk.  If only I lived near a countryside.

It's still a lot less than one in 10 million odds of getting creamed per km driven.  But, over the years, the odds accumulate and I'm not willing to adopt a scooter as my primary mode of transport while I'm living in town.  (On an aside, I even hate driving a 4 wheeler from my home in Asoke, because I know the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes -or more- of every trip are going to be through a soul crushing traffic jam.)  If I lived in the boondocks, the calculation changes.  It may well be worth the risk for the added mobility, the adventure and the wind whistling through my bald head.

I would tend to agree except all three of my accidents occurred out on country roads ? Unfortunately it only takes ONE bad driver to do you in, and they are everywhere.  I have no problem at all with high-risk adventuring.  I love the rush of high speed!  It's just that if I'm gonna end up on the wrong side of things, I'd prefer that I was in control of the situation. and not someone else.

There are some good books on safety riding.  Other than practicing in quiet areas to learn to handle the bike, that's the absolute top priority.  They really help you become more aware of potentially dangerous situations that you might otherwise learn the hard way.  Things like the kind of maneuvers other drivers might pull on you, recognizing hazardous road conditions, etc.  

If you insist on riding in Thailand (I wouldn't), go for a big bike.  You'll be more visible, get more respect, and the right ones are also much more stable (much longer wheel base, bigger wheels, fatter tyres, lower center of gravity if you pick the right one).  Also, on a big bike you can get ABS, which I'm not sure is available on smaller bikes.  

I never had an accident in about 8 years of daily riding in Singapore, but something I learned the hard way quickly is how slippery wet roads can be, especially (but not exclusively) on painted street signs.  After that, I always avoided riding on wet roads, inconvenient or not.  When I see idiots racing on wet roads at high speed I just shake my head.  When they get into a bad crash and they survive, they'll blame it on "fate" I'm sure.

Anyway, in Thailand, just not worth it.  With a motorcycle you have no margin of error, roads are bad, and the roads are full of selfish jerks and idiots.   

Edited by ChidlomDweller

11 minutes ago, Cochrane said:

I have contacted the ABS and Yohoyoho Driving Schools and await their reply.

Also checking out the Bike Hire link.

Thanks everyone, all other ideas welcome :-)

I really admire your determination to find a school and wish you luck.  To just go out and start riding a motorbike in Pattaya would be the very definition of "trial by fire" LOL!  When I was visiting there I actually brought my bicycle to ride.  Rode it into Pattaya from Jomtien once, and the rest of my stay the bike stayed in my hotel room except for trips to the countryside!  The Baht Bus was just as exciting but a lot safer (I think)...hahaha!

Just a thought, but have you looked for a school or riding park specifically in Jomtien or another outlying area to Pattaya?  At least the traffic would be a lot calmer there.  Good Luck. 

Edited by Kohsamida

In Singapore there are two (IIRC) government-licensed riding schools.  You need 20+ 90-minute lessons of circuit training.  (I forgot, but it's about 8 levels each of which takes 2-3 tries to pass.)  Even though I was able to convert a license from my home country, I went and it was not only fun but also incredibly useful.  Anyway, try to get a good program here with circuit training if it exists at all.  I believe in the US there are also short, intense training camps for safe riding, so maybe during a visit to your home country you may find one.

one last bit of advice: always wear gloves and a biker (mesh) jacket for when that accident inevitably comes, and buy a quality FULL face helmet like from Shoei or Arai.  Google some pics of people who didn't and landed on their chin. 

Edited by ChidlomDweller