British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

webfact

26 minutes ago, BB1955 said:

My first trip to Thailand from the states on the ride home I took two sleeping pills . Slept most of the flight . Midway to the US I felt like I had a cramp in my leg.. Ask the stewardess for ice . By the time I got home the pain was pretty bad . Next morning I went to work hardly able to walk . Went to my doctor they sent me for a ultra sound . They said no clot seen . I took the device from the tech and put it over the spot . Then they saw it . Stubborn and stupid I refused to be admitted . Finally doctor agreed to give me a script for heparin and I promised to stay immobile.  Nurse came everyday check my blood . 2 weeks on the couch being waited on . I was very lucky . Now I m on warfarin daily . Never had an issue since . But I was very lucky . Now if I fly I get up every hour and walk and drink lots of water . DVT is a silent killer .

Wow. Do you think the sleeping pill caused it or was their early symptom? Or was it a side-effect of lack of movement due to the sleeping pill?  I always considered some metaloin or valerian a better trade off than being annoyed about a nutter (https://bit.ly/2sgSJ3M) or asshat next to me, maybe time to rethink that plan.

Edited by mekko

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, a lot more tourists in Thailand suffer from bus-riding related blood clots than are injured on motorcycles...

Bus is how most Thais get around. Ask how a girl goes back to Issan. Even my friend who has a masters and works for the government doing research in a lab would take a bus from BKK to CM to visit her friend.

45 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

So many posts about strokes and dvt.

This one thing is important to know:

If you have symptoms which could be  a stroke (for instance weakness of one side of the body, problems speaking, loss of vision, problems to walk - I am not talking of being drunk ?

hurry  (or let you take quickly ) to the next good standard hospital (with a CT Scanner and  with a stroke unit if possible)

Why?

There is a so called 4 hour window. If a stroke is treated within these 4 hours there is a good chance for full and swift recovery by dissolving the clot.

If you are late you might not recover or it will take much longer. May be that woman got that kind of treatment.

Who is at risk? Among others people   who are  bedridden because of an injury or operation. People with arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) Women on the pill. 

DVT is not a risk for a stroke (if there isn't) that persisting whole in the heart - which is rare.

But DVT is a risk for a deadly pulmonary embolism. 

Acute headache and vomiting also a potential symptom of an impending stroke.

Who is at risk? Anyone.

Important to monitor and control blood pressure. High blood pressure is a silent killer and millions of people are unaware they have high blood pressure until it's too late.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

10 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's bad luck at such an early age.

Sad thing is, after one stroke, they often happen again with greater frequency and more serious effects.

Probably the end of her getting holiday insurance.

I am sure that cheered her up no end, you miserable Sod !  ?

1 minute ago, Acemaker said:

I am sure that cheered her up no end, you miserable Sod !  ?

Let be honest I don't think the girl effected is reading this somewhat miserable forum or at 22 gives two flying sh1ts what some expats think. Discussion has played out  more for the benefits of everyone else that hadn't considered stroke and DVT, long bus rides etc.. 

My mom had a stroke and while she recovered at a hospital, I've seen many kids who had strokes.

All buses stop for a few minutes and walking around a bit would have helped a lot. Even some exercises on the bus would have helped.

Then dehydrated, and of course does nobody take any sorts of drugs. 

But it's always better to blame somebody, or something else. Blaming the bus ride is really cheap.

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Acute headache and vomiting also a potential symptom of an impending stroke.

Who is at risk? Anyone.

Important to monitor and control blood pressure. High blood pressure is a silent killer and millions of people are unaware they have high blood pressure until it's too late.

Especially when you are dehydrated. 

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

My mom had a stroke and while she recovered at a hospital, I've seen many kids who had strokes.

All buses stop for a few minutes and walking around a bit would have helped a lot. Even some exercises on the bus would have helped.

Then dehydrated, and of course does nobody take any sorts of drugs. 

But it's always better to blame somebody, or something else. Blaming the bus ride is really cheap.

Horrible when one's mother has a stroke: I know too well.

In what circumstances, have you seen 'many kids who had strokes' ?

It has a very low incidence in children.....

32 minutes ago, faraday said:

Horrible when one's mother has a stroke: I know too well.

In what circumstances, have you seen 'many kids who had strokes' ?

It has a very low incidence in children.....

At a rehabilitation center in Western Germany. What I saw was something I'll never forget in my life. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

A British woman was left paralysed after a suffering stroke while sitting on a cramped bus for 14 hours in Thailand.

She was not in a bus in Thailand for 14 hours, she presumably, (given the 14 hour ride), caught a bus from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, so she caught a Cambodian bus, in Cambodia and spent a greater percentage of the ride in Cambodia - so why is Thailand even mentioned?

Being diagnosed here does not mean Thailand had anything to do with the ladies condition.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I've seen many kids who had strokes.

You must travel far and wide to see these "many kids"

"Pediatric stroke affects 25 in 100,000 newborns and 12 in 100,000 children under 18 years of age."

3 hours ago, NetJunkie said:

She was not in a bus in Thailand for 14 hours, she presumably, (given the 14 hour ride), caught a bus from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, so she caught a Cambodian bus, in Cambodia and spent a greater percentage of the ride in Cambodia - so why is Thailand even mentioned?

Being diagnosed here does not mean Thailand had anything to do with the ladies condition.

Irrelevant semantics - She was sat on a bus for 14 hours.....  

This topic is not about how much time the lady spent on the bus in Thailand or Cambodia - Thailand doesnt need defending from whatever blame you perceive people or the article itself may be proportioning towards Thailand..... 

The take-away from this article is that someone spend 14 hours on a bus and had a stroke. 

The is is that 14 hours sat, without movement anywhere will place you at risk of a DVT or Pulmonary Embolism which in itself places you at far greater risk of stroke or heart attack. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Irrelevant semantics - She was sat on a bus for 14 hours.....  

This topic is not about how much time the lady spent on the bus in Thailand or Cambodia - Thailand doesnt need defending from whatever blame you perceive people or the article itself may be proportioning towards Thailand..... 

The take-away from this article is that someone spend 14 hours on a bus and had a stroke. 

The is is that 14 hours sat, without movement anywhere will place you at risk of a DVT or Pulmonary Embolism which in itself places you at far greater risk of stroke or heart attack. 

Sorry but the title of the thread quite clearly states "

British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand"

News should be about the facts.

Edited by NetJunkie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

Sorry buy the title of the thread quite clearly states "

British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand"

Nope. Read it again.

18 hours ago, mogandave said:

I bought two pair of “Miracle Copper” compression socks on Lazada and liked them. Bought 10 more pair last time I was in the US. I think they’re great.

Only bummer is they call for gentle wash, air dry.

Thanks, will give Lazada a go. 

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

Nope. Read it again.

No, you read the title of the thread again, seeing as I copied and pasted it into my post, pretty damn sure that I got it right.

I will put it here so you don't have to waste energy scrolling to the top of the page.

"

British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

By webfact, Yesterday at 11:44 AM in Thailand News "

Edited by NetJunkie
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

Sorry but the title of the thread quite clearly states "

So you think the importance of the story is related to the accuracy of how much time of this journey was spent in Thailand vs Cambodia or the risks associated with traveling in cramped conditions?

You are free to argue the simple inaccuracies of Thai reporting while the rest of us discuss the real issues of this topic.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you think the importance of the story is related to the accuracy of how much time of this journey was spent in Thailand vs Cambodia or the risks associated with traveling in cramped conditions?

You are free to argue the simple inaccuracies of Thai reporting while the rest of us discuss the real issues of this topic.

It is quite a relevant point because buses in Thailand tend to have more space inside for people to move around .

Cambodian buses tend to have a lot less space and this would have contributed to the womans condition 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It is quite a relevant point because buses in Thailand tend to have more space inside for people to move around .

Cambodian buses tend to have a lot less space and this would have contributed to the womans condition 

Being sat in an office chair for 14 hrs without moving would have contributed to this womans condition. 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I imagine this is purely dependent on which company to you take, how much you pay etc etc...   

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

She might have been a very small woman though. Therefore more room for her to fidget around in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you think the importance of the story is related to the accuracy of

Exactly, I think the importance of the story is the accuracy, and this story is clearly misleading.

American submariners complain of cramped conditions aboard ship......(well not actually Americans, Chinese, but it is all the same isn't it?).

2 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

Exactly, I think the importance of the story is the accuracy, and this story is clearly misleading.

American submariners complain of cramped conditions aboard ship......(well not actually Americans, Chinese, but it is all the same isn't it?).

Chinese Americans.

What happenned to the poor little busty  ? She was sitting next to a durian relisher or what ?

Nevertheless, this hottie shoud avoid taking the Bangkok SkyTrain at peak hours, if she does not like to be rubbed and brushed in the crowd !! (though some others may not mind it perhaps ?)

Edited by observer90210

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What happenned to the poor little busty  ? She was sitting next to a durian relisher or what ?

Nevertheless, this hottie shoud avoid taking the Bangkok SkyTrain at peak hours, if she does not like to be rubbed and brushed in the crowd !! (though some others may not mind it perhaps ?)

Take a cold shower, knock one out or  head off to a go-go bar .

You need to get it out your system