For how long is a Residency Certificate valid?

Some immigration offices do certificates of residency with a statement on it that it is only valid for 30 days. If it does not have that on it then it would depend upon where you use it as to whether it would be accepted or not.

Many places consider any document such as a certificate of residency stale dated after 30 days.

Getting a Certificate of residence at my local immigration is a ballache, so upon their suggestion, I have used 6 month old certificates to successfully register a bike in my local DLT.

After this, it gave me an idea of what was possible, so I blagged using another to get a 5 year license, by using another that was 6 months or so past it’s validity.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Mind you they are free, but in the Thai way of doing things you still have to pay! 

You don't have 10 bucks?

I think it is free at some offices and they will mail it to you in 2 to 3 weeks.

Just another bash though.

It is normal for most government agencies in the world charge for services.

Here we go...,

Of course it is free - you pay for a 'processing charge' at least you do at Patong IO no receipt either, if not happy ok can go Phuket Town Same Same Mr! or words to that effect last time I got another CoR shortly after my last 30 day one expired and I quired why there was a charge of 500 Baht for a free document? (had just bought a bike then decided to do my Thai licences) DLT would not accept a I think it was seven week old CoR at the time (this was 18 mth ago in Phuket)

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You don't have 10 bucks?

I think it is free at some offices and they will mail it to you in 2 to 3 weeks.

Just another bash though.

It is normal for most government agencies in the world charge for services.

At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, the fee is 300 baht and you receive the Certificate the same day.  For those that feel strongly about not paying for the Certificate, the alternative (at least at Banglamung LTO) is a Certificate from your Embassy (at US Embassy, it is US$50 plus transportation cost - or getting at outreach visit if timing is right, for 1,650 baht).

The certificate of residence is valid for as long as the office requiring it (often the Land Transport Office but there are many others) says it is.

The maximum length would be to the 'permitted to stay until' date.

I had one certificate of residence rejected as being no longer valid because by the time all the various parties had got their act together, taking over 2 months, the stated 'permitted to stay until' date on the letter had passed.