Prayut: shaken, defensive and easily riled

webfact

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

The Thai certainly march to the beat of a different drum then us Westerners do..for certs..but then so does the rest of Asia.

Please watch this and I think that it isn't really off topic altho' perhaps my intention is a little disguised.

Watched and mystified. Any elucidation available? I'm really not sure what the message is, though I'm sure there is one. To equate the Thai with the Japanese seems like a bit of a stretch. Different orders of magnitude entirely imho.

So when Thanathorn said he was prepared to “rip up” the constitution and revoke Article 279, which has empowered the premier to overrule other laws, Prayut took it as a direct threat to his administration, legacy and authority.

Thanathorn should probably liquidate ever thing he has and get out of the country. He will be completely destroyed if he stays. He will lose everything he has. He is heavily out gunned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Watched and mystified. Any elucidation available? I'm really not sure what the message is, though I'm sure there is one. To equate the Thai with the Japanese seems like a bit of a stretch. Different orders of magnitude entirely imho.

The ultimate respect goes to royalty.

7 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I think a bit of reverse-engineering is called for: when I watched that video clip and heard someone call out from the audience, it sounded (to me) like 'GOODBYE'. I know it wasn't. But perhaps that is what is being referenced here: someone from the crowd - and then the whole crowd itself - to yell: 'GOODBYE'! Of course I am referring to wishing our great leader, Prayut, a happy farewell and retirement (ahem) ...!

Edited by Eligius

There is some interesting speculation here, but we all are lacking in facts. However, that never stopped me before, so...

Some have speculated that Prayut might be moved up to the Privy Council or out on his ass. Respectfully, neither of those things is going to happen, in my humble opinion.

Prayut, for all his many faults, is the public face of the regime and there is no one even remotely close to being able to take over; the Evil Hobbit is the Evil Hobbit, and Evil Hobbits simply do not have the public persona to be the leader. And I make that comment without even mentioning the watches; it is not going to happen. Same with Anupong (spelling?); if he were capable of being a/the public persona, he likely would be one already as a means of both spreading the public face around and for avoiding the perception that it is a one man show. Finally, the potential appointment to the PC is not the choice of Prayut; if I were to do the choosing, I would select another person as a counter-balance to his public popularity (yes, we all hate to admit it, but there are Thais who like him. It is incomprehensible to me, but nonetheless...).

So, in my view, we are going to see him around for some time. Or at least until just after the elections...

Another thought for consideration; don't you think that the (many) PTBs might be getting a bit nervous with all the power accumulated in Prayut's hands? And, if he manages to "win" an election and gain some legitimacy, that power will increase exponentially? Prayut has served the PTB well to date; note the increase of roughly 33% in the finances of Thailand's "1 Percent" class. My reading of Thai history is that there is a desire to have power concentrated in the 'Elite', yet at the same time spread around the 'Elite'. Perhaps a few people are starting to get a wee bit nervous and doing a little sabotage on the side...?

One final thought. The PTB in Thailand like the Chinese for making money, but send their children to Western countries for education and have their holidays in Western countries (NYC and London are two favourite destinations). I strongly suspect that many of the PTBs are getting a bit worried about Prayut as he seems to have close ties to China; if the PTBs can buy him off, why couldn't the Chinese? Finally, I have always thought that the 'Elite' in Thailand care a great deal about what Western countries think; the history of Thailand since the 1960s has been closely linked to the West. Although they might be publicly saying "we are Asian and want links to other Asian countries and people", I suspect that they care deeply about how they are seen by Western countries. And, currently they are not seen well.

Sooooo, those are some thoughts to ponder...

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Eligius said:

What can I say....?!

Exactly.

Seriously "banzai" in those circumstances has been "restrained" for nigh on 72 years.

So..something is happening here..and..we don't know what it is but the monk/monks might give us a clue.

Having said that I am beginning to be really influenced by Prof.Ian Morris' "Why The West Rules-For Now' and the book's companion volume.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Exactly.

Seriously "banzai" in those circumstances has been "restrained" for nigh on 72 years.

So..something is happening here..and..we don't know what it is but the monk/monks might give us a clue.

Having said that I am beginning to be really influenced by Prof.Ian Morris' "Why The West Rules-For Now' and the book's companion volume.

I see what you mean. I must check out that book you mention. Sounds very interesting.

59 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

hhhm. Maybe.

I suspect the big guns don't yet consider him a threat - partly through arrogance and partly through the legendary Thai stupidity. He's a threat alright, but not because of what he is but because of what I suspect is his representing what I perceive as a seething and simmering resentment of Prayuth, an awakening of sorts. Late yes, but that's Thailand, a day late and a dollar short on most things useful.

So the powers that be will wait and bluster until it's too late for anything but violence to work, even if that violence is only searching around for  convenient peg to hand yet another election delay on. There are at least 2 upcoming bereavements that would fill the bill, and both of them have large bodies of water named after them.

I am quite sure this will happen. I have seen it before.

I knew a guy in Wang thong near Pitsanulok that was a politician from Bangkok. He  had picture hanging on his wall at home of Ronald Reagan  meeting and shaking his hand at the airport in the USA. This guy was quite successful in Bangkok and area well his party was in power. He  had a chain of convenience stores and was doing well. When the army decided to go after him he lost it all in 3 months. Moved to Wang Thong with one of his wife's,3 daughters and grandson. His family tried to make a go of it . But all his daughters were banned from the markets in Pitsanulok  and then banned from the markets in Wang Thong.He could not even keep up with payments on a small 2 bedroom home. Moved to  Isaan  and ended up making and selling white whiskey .

Thanatorn is a thorn and he will be removed for sure.To just suggest what he did is to write his political end. Threat or not he is a problem. They will remove the problem.

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I knew a guy in Wang thong near Pitsanulok that was a politician from Bangkok. He  had picture hanging on his wall at home of Ronald Reagan  meeting and shaking his hand at the airport in the USA. This guy was quite successful in Bangkok and area well his party was in power. He  had a chain of convenience stores and was doing well. When the army decided to go after him he lost it all in 3 months. Moved to Wang Thong with one of his wife's,3 daughters and grandson. His family tried to make a go of it . But all his daughters were banned from the markets in Pitsanulok  and then banned from the markets in Wang Thong.He could not even keep up with payments on a small 2 bedroom home. Moved to  Isaan  and ended up making and selling white whiskey .

Thanatorn is a thorn and he will be removed for sure.To just suggest what he did is to write his political end. Threat or not he is a problem. They will remove the problem.

Very informative post. I like your phrase (it should be used widely): 'Thana-thorn is a thorn' in the side of the repressive dinosaurs!

I definitely agree with you: if Thanathorn is sincere and genuine (and so far he appears to be), then he will be stopped by Prayut and his junta (if they continue to hold power - which they will do everything possible to ensure).

Thanathorn seems to me to represent a whole new face of modern Thailand - a face of fairness, justice, democracy and reason. Whether that face is backed up by substance or is just a mask - remains to be seen. But I must confess that increasingly I am being impressed by Thanathorn's (apparent) principled bravery.

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I sincerely hope you are wrong, not about the example you quote, but about the new guy being stopped.

Because that would only leave 1 option, and the Thais are unlikely to have the cojones for that.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am with you. I think Thanathorn is a very intelligent individual and (it appears) endowed with a social and moral conscience too (unusual amongst the 'elites' of Thailand, to say the least). He has astutely recognised that there can be no progress for Thailand at all until that dreadful 'Constitution' is shredded. It has no legitimacy whatsoever and was foisted upon the Thai people without any free and open debate being allowed (10 years in prison if you pointed out any of its disgraceful provisions). Also, that 'Constitution' was altered after the referendum 'vote' (but I can say no more ...).

Say no more, unless you feel like a bit of re-education and straightening out ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, saminoz said:

"He [Thanathorn] is heavily out gunned.".

Not intellectually, apparently.

Even an ant has more intellectual firing power than the present Thai leadership!

They actually make Yingluck look highly intelligent. Now that is one stunning achievement!

By the way, doesn't Yingluck (for all her faults) appear so very much more human and sympatico - after four years of authoritarian, oppressive dinosaur rule?

Edited by Eligius

22 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Remember Songkran Grachangnetara, who used to write opinion columns for the  BP during the Orwellian-named PDRC protests?   He always nailed it, being fair-minded, cosmopolitan and intelligent.  Then one day his columns stopped.  His main line is as an entrepreneur.  I have no doubt they told him what a nice little business he has and what a shame it would be if something happened to it.

• Like 2

Let’s not get too far ahead of reality as Thanathorn and his party will not win the election neither will he be the PM. His party is still new and he is lesser known outside Bangkok. He has to earn the barami with the population in the south and north. He and his party will have to work diligently and maintain their ideology and show the electorate that they have the vision and intellectualism to move Thailand forward to be a government to be considered.

IMHO at in the coming election, his party will be mid-size and capable to win 12-15 seats in Bangkok, central and part of the south. PTP will win their incumbent seats at around 220 seats. Together with FFP and CTP, they should gain the majority.

It will be interesting if the coalition will have Thammasat law lecturer Khun Piyabutr as Justice Minister whose portfolio will be law reform and Khun Thanathorn as Defense Minister in charge of the military and police. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1