My condo landlord is overcharging electric & water

I've just paid my rent on my condo off Naklua Road, but he's still charging 10 Baht per unit for electric, and 35 Baht per unit of water. As i understand it, the Law is now in place to prevent this kind of practice.

Can i ask for members advice on where to complain, please?

Just move out and don't forget to check how much the new place will charge before you agree to anything.

Anything more than 5 Baht per unit on electricity is a rip off, if a new place so much as suggests more than 5 Baht just go elsewhere.

I live in a house so I pay all the bills directly to the utility companies. The water is so cheap it's normally negligible - about 80 Baht per month. I believe it is pumped directly out of some lake.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, johng said:

Time to start looking for a new landlord ? There is no shortage of places for rent in Pattaya.

i got out of the landlord business for that exact reason, renter market 1000000000000000% 

16 hours ago, jimbo34 said:

Can i ask for members advice on where to complain, please?

As per others advice, complain with your feet and move out, if it is a condo unit you are staying at and not an apartment room, then you should be billed directly for the electricity and by the condo for the water, this landlord is taking the Michael.

• Like 2

I live in a house so I pay all the bills directly to the utility companies. The water is so cheap it's normally negligible - about 80 Baht per month. I believe it is pumped directly out of some lake.

Around 35-40B/unit is a common price for condo water in Pattaya as that is approximately what the city bills the building for piped water. There is also a waste water charge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Around 35-40B/unit is a common price for condo water in Pattaya as that is approximately what the city bills the building for piped water. There is also a waste water charge.

Really, that seems very very excessive, I rent a Condo smack in the centre of Bangkok and they charge 20 Baht per unit (1,000 litres) and a 50 Baht service fee per month, electricity is charged directly from the electricity authority.

My house around Mabprachan has a bore, as no city water in the village, if you use the village supplied water it is around 15 Baht per unit.

Its now Illegal from 1st May for landlords to charge above the government rates for Utilities. The consumer Protection board put out this announcement in April.  Unfortunately neither numbers as yet exist. I guess they're not  looking for complaints. You might track them down in Bangkok.

Tenants may contact the Consumer Protection Board about their  contracts by calling 02-141-3437. Property owners can contact the same Board’s Contracts Committee at 02-143-9767 to get help reviewing their contracts to verify they are legally compliant.

3 minutes ago, garzhe said:

Its now Illegal from 1st May for landlords with more than five rental properties to charge above the government rates for Utilities. The consumer Protection board put out this announcement in April.  Unfortunately neither numbers as yet exist. I guess they're not  looking for complaints. You might track them down in Bangkok.

Tenants may contact the Consumer Protection Board about their  contracts by calling 02-141-3437. Property owners can contact the same Board’s Contracts Committee at 02-143-9767 to get help reviewing their contracts to verify they are legally compliant.

35 baht for water is the standard rate, certainly in my condo. But as i only use 4 or 5 units a month it doesn't really matter what they charge. Electricity is a different matter. As others have said tell the landlord Government rate or i move.

Really, that seems very very excessive, I rent a Condo smack in the centre of Bangkok and they charge 20 Baht per unit (1,000 litres)....

It does depend a lot on where your water comes from. Ground water could be quite cheap. City water will be at official rates and as far as I know the price of city water in Bangkok is indeed lower than it is here.

both my hotel and the next hotel, the respond was

"we dont care, we can make a new contract if you wish

that charge more than enough on other utilities to compensate for 5 baht/unit".

i still think its more transparent to push them to charge max 5 baht/unit,

even when they raise other costs

If you are in a condo, not an apartment, your condo unit should have its own billing for water and electric.  Tell your landlord to put these bills in your mailbox and you will pay them.  The PEA and water bills should have the correct amount that you need to pay.  If he refuses, as others have said, look for another rental.  If your landlord isn't a total idiot he will realize that tenants are not that easy to find and he will agree to letting you pay your correct utility bills without his add-ons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

i got out of the landlord business for that exact reason, renter market 1000000000000000% 

We don't need landlords same you. If you are not happy why you don't ask for more rent instead of overcharging electric and water?

I believe it is pumped directly out of some lake.
Yep the lake everyone takes their car/pickup/bike to wash

Off-topic, but a good laugh. when I lived in an apartment in the 'slum' area of Yangon in 2012, the shower water was always a dirty brown colour and smelt bad.

I finally understood that it was pumped from the river at the end of my road.

Then I also learnt that the toilets from all the apartments also emptied into that river at the end of my road :)
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Klong Saen Saep, perhaps ?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

rubbish the new law is binding of all Thailand. The owner pays yearly fees already. 

Visit the Amphur the condo manager will be heavily fined

Thousands and thousands of empty condos and owners looking to rent them out.

Ask for government rate on electric and water. Vote your displeasure with your feet.

Edited by Ulic

Look around for somewhere new. I am leasing a 2 story, 2 bedroom house for the same as I was paying for a 1 room condo and I get the utilities bills direct from the supplier.

5 hours ago, andre47 said:

We don't need landlords same you. If you are not happy why you don't ask for more rent instead of overcharging electric and water?

im not a land lord any more, pack that game up 10 years ago and i never charged for electric or water the tenant paid direct the the companies. try reading my post before you post. ?