My condo landlord is overcharging electric & water

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, observer90210 said:

Similar to the quite a few home developpments all over Thailand, who also make good profit by invoicing their own profitable electricity and water rates.

And I guess they do not declare this nice little income to the tax man. 

The Revenu Department would make quite a large amount if they would check landlords for back undeclared revenu.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

And I guess they do not declare this nice little income to the tax man. 

The Revenu Department would make quite a large amount if they would check landlords for back undeclared revenu.

Right!!!..That's where those who are ripped off, should team up and complain !!!

• 5 months later...

Any up to date advice on this?

I’m living in apartment which I intend on living in long term as nothing else comes close in the area.

Block of 20 apartments, one of which the owner lives in, and  I’m still paying 8 baht a unit.

Many have moved out who had previously been living there for 2+ years but the rooms get filled again within days. I’d be interested to know if they pay the 8 baht rate.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Many have moved out who had previously been living there for 2+ years but the rooms get filled again within days. I’d be interested to know if they pay the 8 baht rate.

Why not ask them? And if you dont like paying 8B, why not ask the landlord for a reduction?

You say that you like the apartment and want to live there a long time because "nothing else comes close", and clearly there is a lot of demand, so really you only need to look at the bottom line: does it suit you or not? Apparently it does.

• 7 months later...

The spirit of law requires landords to charge electricity and water fees at the standard rates set by the utility authorities. For Electrcity it is 3.9 bart per unit and tap water 7 bart per unit..

Lets not forget thet u can get the unit price built into the contract.."electricity charged at standard rates set by utility authorities, currently 3.9 Bart/elect unit and 7 Bart/ water unit" They will never check becuase we are all St@@@@..

19 minutes ago, terryc said:

//  at standard rates set by utility authorities,

currently 3.9 Bart/elect unit

and 7 Bart/ water unit" 

- Electricity rate depends on how many units you use. Can be in range about 3. to 5. baht.

My last bill: 473 B for 129 Units -> 3.67 Baht/Unit

- Water price depend a lot of your Province, and a lot of more if House or Condo.

Condos pay units about 35 Baht/Unit, not 7 !

Paying ur bills my rented condo (and elsewhere)

My condo block like to play the game "devide and rule". Customers get their bills at different times and different rates depending on their "perceived status" If you get get ur bill first maybe cause for concern. A law was passed May 1018 concerning bills but im not sure if it applies to all.

Anyway, here is the bottom line.

1 Take a snapshot of ur meters day1
2 When you are presented with a bill, take a copy in front of them and give them back the origonal. They know u have a copy.
3 Check for over lapping units. Paying once is painful enough.
4 Dont compare with ur mate down the road, compare with the agreed utility rates (elec. is 3.9 bart and water 7 bart)
5 Always ask for receipts, it puts them on the back foot.
6 If you get a chance to slip a clause into the contract, then do so (would u sign an open cheque?)
7 Dont take on the management unless u have an exit stratergy (once they lose face....)

The electicity bill is the one to watch out for, water is cheap anyway

Hope that provides clarity...the above applies to most apartment blocks etc..

Welcome to Thailand..

hello,

Everyone is telling me thf same thing. MOVE ON...i  gave my notice yesterday..

I dont want to mislead anyone regading water rates..it has been pointed out that the correct rate for a condo is 35 bart/unit, as thats exactly what i pay, it be right..

regarding my over charge situation (i forget to mention overlapping units)..several friends have said "does the landlord know about the ovecharging..?? the answer is no