Draft plan to allow foreigners to work in 11 ‘reserved’ occupations

webfact

The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said.

you cant make this stuff up ! unbelievable. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why not be fair and just by allowing foreigners to own one plot of land on which they would like to live their retirement ?

While not related to the story but related to your comment, a friend of mine was looking at purchasing land in Turkey recently and was told that they only allow foreigners to own land if they themselves are allowed to own land in the foreigners country. I think this is a good idea

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, catman20 said:

The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said.

you cant make this stuff up ! unbelievable. 

Well someone evidently has!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Surely no-one really said that, did they, really truly ??

Yeah, there’s always an eyebrow-raiser & scaremonger. But he got proof!
                                         Ooops, sorry wrong picture…

fffaa79a-cc3e-4841-a82b-2142efbacb1f_zps

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Someone is looking out for the farangs.  If things go wrong, it's a whole lot harder to find a Thai engineer on the lam than a farang.

If they want Thailand to go forwards more this should be acted on fast. A no Brainer really 

3 hours ago, imjmn said:

Allowing foreigners to work in those positions 'reserved' for Thai citizens would bring more knowledge and different practices into the Thai industry and make them more competitive on the world stage. MHO.

MJ

as Frank Sinatra sang: i did it my way

Was in Yangon last week, they have just changed their laws to allow 100% foreign ownership across many sectors and will likely open that up too. Malaysia also now allows 100% foreign ownership.

Thailand has never come close to reaching the level of an economic power that many had projected decades ago and this is just some of the reasons why.

Thailand will be left behind most Asean countries in the coming decades if it doesn't change it's xenophobic ways.

As for owning land, I now see what is happening in Vancouver where house prices are far out of range for the average Canadian, so maybe Thailand is right in keeping those laws as they are, but open it up for business at least. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

That's really rich!!!  Considering the poor designs and lack of safety so prevalent here.

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's really rich!!!  Considering the poor designs and lack of safety so prevalent here.

Would have thought the technology exchanges would be welcomed. 

It's not Thai skills we see on the engineering infrastructure projects, and masses of concrete structure.

The only slip form they are familiar with is the slip into the back pockets to get contracts underway.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Are you nuts? if all foreigners will own enough land they can and will: take the land with them when they go back, stage a coup to overthrow the government, set up a farang country within Thailand and so on.. nevermind that Thai people can legally own land in almost any other country in the world....

I think you will find it's generally only western countries that allow foreigners to buy land.

The rest of the world says NO.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you will find it's generally only western countries that allow foreigners to buy land.

The rest of the world says NO.

Pretty sure you can buy anything real estate wise in Hong Kong. And Japan? ?

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

It's over rated so don't feel too bad. Motorcycle taxis are where it's at, girls like the danger and the uniform.

yes I went for an interview a while back...1st question ''did I have my own chair'' ..2nd question''.can I sit for hours ,sometimes in the middle of the walkway so people must walk aroundme''..3rd question ..''can I clap my hands loudly to draw attention''!!!  .i thought I nailed it..but...they never called back ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thairookie said:

I am still wondering why some law firms in Thailand have farang lawyers.

They don't....they have farang 'consultants'. Being a lawyer is a reserved occupation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As long as you're an American you can do that.

Is this true or are you speaking in jest?  I am an American who would like to retire in Thailand and had thought about a small plot of land somewhere.  Has something changed since I had heard farangs cannot own land in Thailand.  I have my own money so I am not looking to live off of the government.

Edited by billmichael
Add question mark and one final comment statement.

Why not let foreign workers work in shops Because lazy Thai don't want to work in them. Sooner have their heads in garbage bins looking for food then wanting a job. They opened up the building sites for foreign workers open up the shop jobs also.