East Pattaya on rabies alert after dog dies

Rimmer

East Pattaya on rabies alert after dog dies

PATTAYA:--East Pattaya was put on alert for rabies after a dead dog tested positive for the disease.

The Chonburi Livestock Department administered rabies vaccinations to 30 people who had come into contact with the golden retriever and warned all residents within five kilometers to keep watch for other animals infected with the potentially deadly disease.

Additionally, Chonburi Livestock and Pattaya Public Health Department staffers rounded up stray dogs within the same radius for rabies shots.

Dr. Padej Siridamrong, a veterinarian with Nern­plubwan Pet Hospital said the dog’s owner called May 23 to report that his golden retriever had died at his Sukhumvit Soi 21 home and that rabies was suspected to be the cause.

The dog’s carcass later tested positive for rabies at the Veterinary Research and Development Center in Ban Bung District.

Chonburi in March was declared one of 13 provinces where rabies is running rampant. The others are Rayong, Chachoengsao, Buri Ram, Chiang Rai, Nan, Roi Et, Samut Prakan, Si Saket, Songkhla, Si Saket, Tak and Ubon Ratchathani.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-01

A few years back in Pattaya, a time share salesman claimed to me that Soi dogs require no inoculations at all.

The genius contended the Soi dogs here are so naturally tough they're sufficiently  resilient to resist diseases.

He said this in from of one of his co workers who had just  moments earlier told me of undergoing a rabies regime in Pattaya

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Chonburi in March was declared one of 13 provinces where rabies is running rampant. The others are Rayong, Chachoengsao, Buri Ram, Chiang Rai, Nan, Roi Et, Samut Prakan, Si Saket, Songkhla, Si Saket, Tak and Ubon Ratchathani.

Yet, hardly features in the glossy tourist brochures !

He had a dog and it was not inoculated against rabies? Was he mad?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Typical Thai attitudes. Buy an expensive dog (Golden Retriever) then it dies for lack of basic care, in this case a jab costing next to nothing and should be required by law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1