250 More Volunteer Chinese Teachers Gather In Thailand

george

250 more volunteer Chinese teachers gather in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- In Thailand, more than 250 volunteer Chinese teachers have gathered at an upscale reception. Thai and Chinese officials praised them for hard work in boosting language skills overseas.

At Monday's reception, an official with the Thai Ministry of Education expressed gratitude to the Chinese government for its support of Thai education.

The official says without the work of these volunteers, it would be impossible to accomplish the Thai Ministry's 5-Year Plan on Chinese language education.

The volunteers come from 8 universities across China. They see their work as valuable experience for them while they help others to improve their Chinese. It's the beginning of their teaching careers but it's also a chance to make friends among colleagues and students, not only for themselves but for China as well.

Xue Hualing, director volunteer center, said, "From the Philippines to Thailand, the volunteers of Chinese language teaching have been praised for their spirit of sacrifice. Their work has helped to alleviate the scarcity of Chinese teachers around the world. Meanwhile, the volunteers are non-government ambassadors. They have done a great deal in introducing Chinese culture to the world."

The Chinese Ministry of Education has sent more than 2,000 volunteers to 34 countries since the volunteer plan started in 2004. It's also started employing volunteers in foreign countries to teach Chinese.

--CCTV.com 2007-01-30

Now that is very interesting.

I've wondered with all the visa problems, work permit/teaching license problems, investment uncertainties causing westerners to reconsider their future in Thailand, who would stand to benefit. It can't all be just a massive cock up surely.

Well I thought the Chinese, but I was only joking when I said maybe they would rather have the kids speaking Chinese than English.

Makes sense really, English may be the most widely spoken language in the world, but if they align themselves closely enough with China they have potentially the largest market in the world for Thai goods and services.

Also I've the feeling that a lot of the (questionable) anti westerner feeling is because the general population may become more westernised themselves, wanting more personal freedom and having higher aspirations, whereas Chinese society is much more in line with the mindset of Thai authorities.

And what teaching qualifications they have? What background checks have been done?

If you read the OP. These Chinese volunteer teachers came from eight Chinese universities and I believed their visa and work permit are provided and guaranteed by the ministry of education. After all their volunteer service are free.

Along with English and Spanish, there is no doubt that Chinese will be the third global language.

Together, these languages will put anyone with these skills into a most fortunate linguistic situation for business, travel, and life experience.

Are the people in the Thai media getting whiter and whiter or is it just my imagination? ....; or is it just that the technology is able to them look that way? What's this got to do with the arrival of the 250 Chinese volunteers you may ask.....and fair enough.

Have you noticed more and more Chinese style musak being played in places like Lotus?....or is it just me? Am I simply getting paranoid? I don't know why; by the time they're calling the shots I'll be an old codger anyhow and I'll be spared.

Have you noticed more and more Chinese style musak being played in places like Lotus?....or is it just me? Am I simply getting paranoid?

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and it's not uncommon to hear Chinese music all over Asia right after the Christmas season for a month or two.

Rubbish Grapetable.With China as one of the world's fastest growing economies.Figures just released yesterday placed it at 10.9% increase,Mandarin is the language spoken by most of the world's population,(due to the population in China) English the universal language and Spanish is third.If you can speak Mandarin,Cantonese,Japanese and/or Korean as well as English you are ahead of the pack in the global business/career stakes.

Of course everybody in Asian countries wants to study English as a second language and Mandarin is the popular choice as a second language for other Western and Eastern countries.Scores of foreign students go to China to study Mandarin at universities.Thai is limited to Thailand.I would say 'Thai' will never be a global language not Mandarin.

This is a less-than-subtle part of a grand plan to increase Chinese influence. I don't say that in a derogatory way, but I do caution interested parties to be wary of Chinese gov't clandestine plans in the big picture of things. They're constantly sabre-rattling toward Taiwan (hundreds of missiles aimed at the island), they've got an on-going military occupation of Tibet. They claim the Spratley islands even though they're twice the distance away than 5 other countries who are claimants. Their record on the environment and human rights is abysmal. Let's make friends, sure, but let's beware of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

One of the biggest covered up facts of Thailand is there are a large % of Chinese here - indeed, most big businesses are Chinese owned, and they're very good at protecting their interests through heavily financed organizations that are 'below the radar.' There are probably hundreds of Chinese per week (mostly from Yunnan) who become Thai citizens. A personal friend of mine, a dirt-poor laborer, became a Thai citizen seven years from the time he crossed the border into Thailand. How many farang become Thai citizens? You can count them on one hand, and only because they're wealthy and very well-connected.

And what teaching qualifications they have? What background checks have been done?

If you read the OP. These Chinese volunteer teachers came from eight Chinese universities and I believed their visa and work permit are provided and guaranteed by the ministry of education. After all their volunteer service are free.

So what.just because their services are free,doesn't mean <deleted>.

This is a less-than-subtle part of a grand plan to increase Chinese influence. I don't say that in a derogatory way, but I do caution interested parties to be wary of Chinese gov't clandestine plans in the big picture of things. They're constantly sabre-rattling toward Taiwan (hundreds of missiles aimed at the island), they've got an on-going military occupation of Tibet. They claim the Spratley islands even though they're twice the distance away than 5 other countries who are claimants. Their record on the environment and human rights is abysmal. Let's make friends, sure, but let's beware of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

One of the biggest covered up facts of Thailand is there are a large % of Chinese here - indeed, most big businesses are Chinese owned, and they're very good at protecting their interests through heavily financed organizations that are 'below the radar.' There are probably hundreds of Chinese per week (mostly from Yunnan) who become Thai citizens. A personal friend of mine, a dirt-poor laborer, became a Thai citizen seven years from the time he crossed the border into Thailand. How many farang become Thai citizens? You can count them on one hand, and only because they're wealthy and very well-connected.

Exactly Brahm!

If you look at what China is doing to build up for example their military power in the region as well as closing energy contracts throughout the world, the only conclusion is that China is working on to become the next nr1 superpower within 10 years.

Assymetric warfare it is called and I have a few documents where their strategy to become the worlds superpower is clearly described as well as for India.

China is aggressively looking for more energy resources as well as raw materials for building.

Remember they try to take over Unacoal?

Now India has taken over the Dutch steelmaker Corus making it the 5th largest steelproducer.

That for sure was a pain in the ass for the Chinese.

Now the whole idea is to have as much people as posible to speak Chinese so that doing bizz with China becomes more easy.

Think about it, most likely if you are able to speak Chinese you will be more likely to do bizz with a Chinese company instead of a Swahili speakin bizz partner/company where you have to rely on a translator.

The Chinese have brilliant strategist and the recent move to bring in 250 teachers of Chinese language (for free) is just one step in the process to make China the world dominating power.

Alex

I think the Thais are just playing catch up with its neighbours which are already making headway into China. Malaysia and Singapore for example have millions of overseas Chinese who can readily do business with the Chinese in their native language. Most Chinese Thais on the other hand, are lucky if they can get by with their Teochew dialect, which is practically useless in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu etc.

The serious ones send their kids straight to China to pick up the language though, on several Air China red eye flights to Beijing, I've seen plenty parents sending off their children on clearly long stay trips in China.

Exactly Brahm!

If you look at what China is doing to build up for example their military power in the region as well as closing energy contracts throughout the world, the only conclusion is that China is working on to become the next nr1 superpower within 10 years.

Assymetric warfare it is called and I have a few documents where their strategy to become the worlds superpower is clearly described as well as for India.

China is aggressively looking for more energy resources as well as raw materials for building.

Remember they try to take over Unacoal?

Now India has taken over the Dutch steelmaker Corus making it the 5th largest steelproducer.

That for sure was a pain in the ass for the Chinese.

Now the whole idea is to have as much people as posible to speak Chinese so that doing bizz with China becomes more easy.

Think about it, most likely if you are able to speak Chinese you will be more likely to do bizz with a Chinese company instead of a Swahili speakin bizz partner/company where you have to rely on a translator.

The Chinese have brilliant strategist and the recent move to bring in 250 teachers of Chinese language (for free) is just one step in the process to make China the world dominating power.

Alex

A perceptive post, and without doubt it will be the Chinese 'Empire' come 2050! The United States will still be important, but definitely no longer in the Premier Division, especially if the US of Europe (one constitution, one foreign policy, a centralised police force and army) gets its act together (not likely on present showing).

The Chinese political elite, unlike almost any other nation on earth, think long-term and are prepared to bide their time for generations if necessary in order to achieve their goals. One reason is that they do not have any pesky elections to worry about, where a whole political ideology is overturned overnight. Another is their cultural beliefs in honouring their ancestors by building on what has been achieved in the past; a belief that finds a certain resonance throughout East Asia.

The 'test-bed' for many of these ideas is the city nation state of Singapore; its ideas even now are being adopted and implemented in Vietnam, while we all know the links with business in Thailand and certain politicians!

The challenge for the rest of the world is: does it want to be dominated by yet another superpower? Will democracy give way to one-party nation states?

So true.

Bye bye Tibet. Some shocking numbers and statements from Chinese officials and plans about flooding the country in the link here.

The whole area will slowly be swallowed, it may take decades but it is sure headed that way. A very slow but sure process. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

The more Thais who learn to speak Chinese, the closer the Chinese ties to Thais.

Notice from the news item, that the Chinese teachers are well organized, all about the same age, all walking the same line, and almost ertainly sponsored by their gov't. Similarly, the Thai gov't has a well coordinated rally to welcome the 2,000 students. A far cry from the rag-tag every-man-for-himself nature of farang who try to get in to the Thai teaching system.

There are essentially 2 Chinese families that control the most important aspects of Burma's largest state (Shan State). You can bet they're setting up Chinese language centers everywhere - as a way to further their political/economic influence. Things could be cool for decades, or .....Thais could wake up in 20 years and realize they're essentially controlled by Chinese interests.