Mattis warns of Chinese 'intimidation'; says U.S. seeks 'results-oriented' ties

rooster59

Mattis warns of Chinese 'intimidation'; says U.S. seeks 'results-oriented' ties

By Idrees Ali

800x800 (2).jpg

U.S. Secretary of Defence Jim Mattis speaks at the IISS Shangri-la Dialogue in Singapore June 2, 2018. REUTERS/Edgar Su

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The United States is willing to work with China on a "results- oriented" relationship, but Beijing's actions in the South China Sea were coercive and the Pentagon would "compete vigorously" if needed, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Saturday.

The comments by Mattis, speaking at the annual Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, come at a time of increased tension between the two nations in the South China Sea and highlight how President Donald Trump's administration is looking to balance China's cooperation on North Korea while dealing with its activities in the disputed sea.

"China's policy in the South China Sea stands in stark contrast to the openness that our strategy promotes, it calls into question China's broader goals," said Mattis, who said he would be travelling to Beijing this month.

"The U.S. will continue to pursue a constructive, results-oriented relationship with China, cooperation whenever possible will be the name of the game and competing vigorously where we must ... of course we recognise any sustainable Indo-Pacific order has a role for China," he said.

Last month, China's air force landed bombers on disputed islands and reefs in the South China Sea as part of a training exercise, triggering concern from Vietnam and the Philippines.

Satellite photographs taken on May 12 showed China appeared to have deployed truck-mounted surface-to-air missiles or anti-ship cruise missiles at Woody Island in the disputed sea.

"Despite China's claims to the contrary, the placement of these weapon systems is tied directly to military use for the purposes of intimidation and coercion," Mattis said.

Reuters first reported that two U.S. Navy warships sailed near South China Sea islands claimed by China on Sunday.

While the operation had been planned months in advance, and similar operations have become routine, it came at a particularly sensitive time and just days after the Pentagon withdrew an invitation to China for a major U.S.-hosted naval drill.

China's state-run Global Times newspaper said in an editorial tension in the South China Sea was "due to the U.S. continuing to increase its military presence in the region, forcing China to naturally upgrade its defensive weapons on the islands."

"This in turn gives the U.S. more excuses to exert military pressure, causing regional tensions to spiral," it said.

MILITARISATION A REALITY

Mattis acknowledged that China's militarisation of islands was a reality but warned of further consequences.

"I believe there are much larger consequences in the future when nations lose the rapport of their neighbours ... eventually these (actions) do not pay off," Mattis said.

He also reiterated that the Pentagon was committed to working with Taiwan to provide articles and services needed for its self defence, comments that are likely to anger China.

China's hostility towards self-ruled Taiwan has grown since Tsai Ing-wen from the pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party won presidential elections on the island in 2016. China claims Taiwan as its own and it is one of its most sensitive issues.

Trump said on Friday an unprecedented nuclear arms summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that the United States pulled out of will now go ahead as scheduled on June 12 in Singapore, adding another twist to a high-stakes diplomatic dance.

Mattis only made a glancing reference to North Korea, reiterating that it was a diplomatically led effort and the objective remained the "complete verifiable, and irreversible denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula."

He added that the status of U.S. troops in South Korea was not on the table when Trump and Kim meet, but left the door open to the issue being discussed down the road between Seoul and Washington if certain conditions were met.

"If the diplomats can do their work, if we can reduce the threat, if we can restore confidence building measures with something verifiable, then of course these kinds of issues can come up subsequently between two sovereign democracies, the Republic of Korea and the United States," Mattis said.

"That issue is not on the table here in Singapore on the 12th, nor should it be," Mattis said.

ALLIES

Mattis also sought to calm nervous allies in the region.

South Korea and Japan have expressed concern that Trump may put U.S. security interests ahead of theirs in pursuing a deal with North Korea.

Japan's Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera, who also spoke at the forum, said it was important not to reward North Korea for only agreeing to dialogue.

He said the only way to bring peace in the region was to ensure North Korea take concrete actions to end all nuclear programmes and ballistic missiles of all ranges.

Mattis said: "We are focused on modernizing our alliance with both Republic of Korea and Japan, transforming these critical alliances to meet the challenges of the 21st-century.

"Make no mistake, America is in the Indo-Pacific to stay, this is our priority theatre, our interests and the region's are inextricably intertwined."

When asked if Trump's approach towards allies, including a recent decision to put certain tariffs on Canada, Mexico and the European Union, was unproductive, Mattis acknowledged that there had been "some unusual approaches".

"But I'm reminded that so long as nations continue dialogue, so long as they continue to listen to one another and to pay respect to one another, nothing is over, based on one decision," Mattis said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-02

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

South Korea and Japan have expressed concern that Trump may put U.S. security interests ahead of theirs in pursuing a deal with North Korea.

Maybe whoever is left at the State Dept. will carefully advise the president on these issues.  And, hopefully he will actually read them or someone will read them to him, and he will keep them in mind lest East Asian affairs become even more complicated.  Maybe.   

The lack of a coherent foreign policy, by this feckless, and fabulously incompetent administration is really starting to show. The fact that the State Department barely exists anymore does not help, nor the fact that around 40 ambassadors have still not been appointed, yet ultra conservative federal judges, are being appointed to lifetime posts, in record numbers. Captain Chaos has a primarily domestic agenda. Foreign policy is essentially an after thought, and it is done with the utmost belligerence, and lack of statesmanship. 

Tiny D. The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

It looks like the USA have totally frakked it up then. The UK don't feel much respected at the moment, and just how many did we send to Afghanistan and Iraq to be slaughtered and maimed? Frakk Mattis, Trump and the USA.

Vehemence and hyperbole aside, do you seriously expect the ties between the US and the UK will not survive Trump's term in office? IMO, that was what Mattis's words were about. There will be a whole lot to mend two years hence, but I think relations will be, more or less, restored.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Vehemence and hyperbole aside, do you seriously expect the ties between the US and the UK will not survive Trump's term in office? IMO, that was what Mattis's words were about. There will be a whole lot to mend two years hence, but I think relations will be, more or less, restored.

I seriously think it will be decades before the people will permit the UK Government to offer military support to the US in an operational theatre again. I think listening to Trudeau it will also be some time before Canadians will be sent to die on the battlefield with their US Brothers in Arms. All UK, European and Canadian  military forces should be withdrawn from any military theatre where they are offering support to the USA. The US should also now be charged premium market rates for all land they currently occupy in airfields and military bases throughout Europe. If the US want isolation then lets give it to them on a plate. I am truly sickened by the message Trump has sent. The worst thing is he is also wrong, he thinks Canada are making billions in trade on the rate of export/import from the US, yet the truth is it is the other way around. It is completely laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I seriously think it will be decades before the people will permit the UK Government to offer military support to the US in an operational theatre again. I think listening to Trudeau it will also be some time before Canadians will be sent to die on the battlefield with their US Brothers in Arms. All UK, European and Canadian  military forces should be withdrawn from any military theatre where they are offering support to the USA. The US should also now be charged premium market rates for all land they currently occupy in airfields and military bases throughout Europe. If the US want isolation then lets give it to them on a plate. I am truly sickened by the message Trump has sent. The worst thing is he is also wrong, he thinks Canada are making billions in trade on the rate of export/import from the US, yet the truth is it is the other way around. It is completely laughable.

Decades...well, decades ago the UK was at war with Germany etc., so don't know how much trust I'd place in your predictions. Especially considering nothing of this magnitude actually happened here.

Unless mistaken, the US military presence in Europe is by agreement and invitation. Could be changed, of course, but maybe not the most prudent or wise of moves.

The US wants isolation? I don't think so. Trump might (to the extent he grasps the implications), but Trump isn't the US. Thought reading comments on this forum would make this trivial. Basically what you offer amounts to being successfully trolled by Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Your first mistake is listening to Trudeau. He has the IQ of a 9 year old.

• Haha 2

The Chinese are a bunch of fascists and they play the game for what is good for them and care for nothing else or no-one other than their benefits. So many countries have already fallen to their economic power and that hardly bodes well for countries around here. Thailand will fall as those elite ruling Thailand are Chinese really when it all boils down to it.

4 hours ago, howbri said:

Your first mistake is listening to Trudeau. He has the IQ of a 9 year old.

Double that of Trump then.

(By the way, if you had the IQ you would know it's not dependent upon age ? )

Edited by Andaman Al

13 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Poor Mad Dog Matis. He'll be barking for naught. No one is going to help the USA now that Trump has declared economic war on his allies.

Allies are really only there for appearances sake. To show "broad consensus" by "building a coalition". It's a pain in the ass frankly. I don't think Trump is all that worried by appearances or the opinions of countries that can't even defend their own borders but would presume to tell the US what they are allowed to do to defend their own. That said, I think Korea, Japan and the US are m/l on the same page. Maybe Japan a bit more hawkish and Korea a bit more dovish but I don't think anyone is going to swallow a 1994 type deal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Allies are really only there for appearances sake.

I wish Bush would have made that clear before we filled body bags with allied soldiers during the Gulf wars. I will try and remind myself that it was only for 'appearance sake' when I wander to the back of my mind and see things that can never be unseen.

1 minute ago, Andaman Al said:

I wish Bush would have made that clear before we filled body bags with allied soldiers during the Gulf wars. I will try and remind myself that it was only for 'appearance sake' when I wander to the back of my mind and see things that can never be unseen.

Or Blair for that matter. They try to "generate consensus" whenever they do something they know people don't want them to do. Self defence doesn't require that. Did the UK consult her allies before the Falklands conflict?

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Did the UK consult her allies before the Falklands conflict?

Well after being told by Regan that the UK and Argentina were both friends of the US we pretty much had to go it alone. Regan quietly offered us the use of an aircraft carrier on lease if we lost our own carrier. This ship if used would have been manned by civilian contractors! If only we would have learned and reciprocated that level of assistance during the Gulf conflicts, there would be a lot of families in the UK that still had their sons and daughters now.

I am unsure of your reason to divert to the Falklands War, it has nothing to do with the current back stabbing of US allies does it?

2 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Well after being told by Regan that the UK and Argentina were both friends of the US we pretty much had to go it alone. Regan quietly offered us the use of an aircraft carrier on lease if we lost our own carrier. This ship if used would have been manned by civilian contractors! If only we would have learned and reciprocated that level of assistance during the Gulf conflicts, there would be a lot of families in the UK that still had their sons and daughters now.

I am unsure of your reason to divert to the Falklands War, it has nothing to do with the current back stabbing of US allies does it?

I think you're talking about economic allies but the topic is military allies in the Indo-Pacific region.

14 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Poor Mad Dog Matis. He'll be barking for naught. No one is going to help the USA now that Trump has declared economic war on his allies.

Help the United States? The U.S. will suffer very little should China be successful in making the South China Sea its own private lake. The rest of East and Southeast Asia? They will be squirming. And so will the Euros who have more at stake there economically than the U.S. Maybe it's time that U.S. just decided not to help with China. Frankly, it's to the benefit of all that China be contained in Cold War style. But the Euros are too busy doing business deals, while hiding under the American defense umbrella. Same for Tokyo and the rest of Asia. 

• Thanks 1