Generator power?

CGW

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

You may want to go with 6mm² for the cable runs from the gen.

We apparently have different perspectives of KISS.  And if you can get anyONE to understand (or bother) with it besides yourself, I'll be impressed and maybe send you something you like.

Cheers mate.

Trust me our kid. I have a budding engineer coming along. Only 13 now, 14 on 1st August but not as dumb as many I have seen.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

To be brutally honest, any messing around with cables gets old very quickly, usually after the first power cut in the dark and the rain when the juice comes back just after you've moved everything.

Even if you have a pull-start genset you can do the simple semi-automatic arangement I describe in another thread.

• Power goes off, go out and start the generator, essential items power up, everyone is happy.
  • Power comes back on the genset stops and the essential load transfers back to mains, no need to get out of bed to go and move anything.

It's not difficult or expensive to go full auto if you are a reasonably competent DIYer  (described in another thread), even my wife can work the full auto system (she does nothing, it's full auto).

Thanks for the advice.

I can do it but I would need 2 bigger gennies, one for each house (more cost), and a fair bit of PEA cabling to be done as well (more cost again) to run 2 houses successfully using ATS etc.

If I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night I will just live with the power outage.

There will only be 3 plugs to turn over for the basics and the extension leads are simply a bonus. I have rechargeable torches upstairs and downstairs anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I had a poke around Khampaeng Phet on Saturday and my hardware shop only had 1 @ 6.5kva for 14,500 baht but no auto start. Global had several under the Bison brand but only 1 suitable at 15,900 baht reduced to 15,900 baht and also no auto start. Global had the bison brochure  

https://www.bisonpower.net/  here 

https://bisonpower.net/products/generator-10kw-bs12000dse/

which has a nice 10kva but no auto start and of course being Global no hab. Also no price.

I suspect that if I persist at the counter I may have been able to get a little more info but they would have to order it from their main depot and I would have to pay for it up front. Then of course I would have to get the genny modified for auto start and buy/build a wall mounted ats changeover switch. I will also need a good electrician to rewire from the meter to the ats switch and the o/p needs to be split to run to each house. At this time it runs from the meter to the small house and the big house is tapped off the main cable before the place that I would put the genny and ats.

Global has 2 core 4 mm cable at 3,799 thb per 100 metre roll. That is the white PVC? covered stuff single core and not the twisted wire stuff.

I think I will put it on hold for a while and see how the power outs are this year.

I will try to knock up a couple of drawings this week.

cleardot.gif

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

Archived