Despite stacked odds, election is essential

webfact

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

There is a great deal of truth in the idea that political change needs to come from an election; unfortunately, Thailand has already experienced what happens when political change isn't allowed to occur naturally (1992, 2006, 2009-2010, 2014 etc.) and it inevitably means the loss of life, injured citizens and damage to the social fabric. However, as the article correctly points out, there is great danger in participating in an election if it means that the Junta receives an undeserved 'mandate' that was achieved through cheating; in many ways that would be worse than no election at all.

Currently, I see the Junta cheating to such an extent that I believe that the parties need to consider whether or not to participate in the promised election. No one, myself included, ever believed that this would be a 'Free and Fair' election, but there is a calculus to be made; is it 'Free and Fair' enough to take part and have a chance to win? Or, is it rigged to a point where participation is, for all intents and purposes, merely an endorsement of continued Junta rule?

The parties need to begin speaking out in a louder voice questioning whether or not they are going to participate in the process and put the Junta on notice that their participation is not guaranteed; failure to do so in advance of a process means that you can't complain later. Further, I suspect that a unified voice on the part of the Forces of Goodness will make the Junta sit up and take notice; the Junta needs a mandate very badly as without one they are merely a pack of thugs who stole power. Finally, as a means to really stick the knife in and give it a twist, the pro-Democracy parties need to proclaim that the rules need to be at least as fair as when Thaksin/Yingluck won their mandates and that the Junta MUST meet that standard; I can't think of anything better that might goad the Junta into acting properly than a notion that they are "less" than either of their predecessors.

It is time for a more public discussion on Thailand's future and it needs to be led by the pro-Democracy parties. The equation is clear; is participation in an election worth doing at the moment or not? If yes, then some clarity needs to occur on exactly what the process and rules are. If not, then a loud proclamation that the Junta is illegitimate.

I am not Thai, so I will leave that calculation to the pro-Democracy parties. I will simply say that they need to make their position(s) clear sooner rather than later.

Perhaps there is a twinkle in the eyes of some stars. I have a strong intuition that a high-profile death will alter the whole calculus when it comes -  close to the election date. It isn't the death many will assume might happen, and it will throw a decent-sized spanner in the works.

Prayuth's very own ides of March, though it will be later than March.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Dave is talking Najib. That fat cat and his wife are certainly going to jail now that the new Malaysian government has successfully convinced the Agong to approve a non Muslim and a real sticker for rule of law as AG. Here in lalaland, no military men ever go to jail for all the transgressions and harm that they did to the country over the decades. How I wish but will never ever happen. That's why they totally disregard any law or constitution.

Here is Najib's Wife Rosmah AKA The Wicked Witch of the West

rosmah 2.jpg

• Haha 1