Drowning Still No. 1 Killer Of Thai Kids

webfact

Drowning Still No. 1 Killer Of Thai Kids

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

14599172231459917871l.jpg

Some babies cool off in the water of Ampuen Reservoir on April 6, 2016, in Surin province. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Drowning still kills the most Thai children, but fatalities have fallen to a new low and those working to save lives say awareness has improved.

Following a sustained effort, government-reported drowning deaths in 2017 were the lowest in two decades. According to fresh figures released Friday, 113 children drowned March to May during the summer school break, significantly lower than the 448 deaths in the same period six years ago.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/05/drowning-still-no-1-killer-of-thai-kids/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-05

1 hour ago, dictater said:

that cannot be more children than die on motorbikes, no way. 

Probably related to the fact that only deaths on the scene are reported as traffic related deaths.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, janhkt said:

Probably related to the fact that only deaths on the scene are reported as traffic related deaths.

The old incorrect chest-nut again, and does it really matter - 1 child death from what ever cause is 1 too many. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

I too am surprised that it isn't road deaths as number 1.

It is, by far. This is just another example of careless shoddy reporting, by people who don't know much, and want to get back to checking their Facebook anyway. 

• Like 2

In places this heart-breaking problem is being address.  My wife's 7 year old son drown in a canal.  We relive that each year.  Avoidable?  Oh yeah.  But there is a blind leading the blind problem here.  Non-swimming parents don't have the tools to teach their children.
Good to see that my grand-daughter's school provides students with swimming lessons.  The kid loves the water and she's strong enough to make across the pool under her own power.  Kudos to the schools for providing this program!  All kids should be able to swim.  I had my daughter in the pool as an infant.  Kids are natural swimmers at that young age! 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Drowning, motorcycles, etc, etc.

The primary cause is that nobody give a flying eff, there is no supervision, no guidance and no parental sense of resposibility.

But never mind, most of the parents are young, they can always have another one.

Jesus wept!!

If he came to Thailand he would more than weep. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I too am surprised that it isn't road deaths as number 1.

I can't find the recent survey details but according to the Child Injury in Thailand report conducted by the Institute of Health Research at Chulalongkorn University and The Alliance for Safe Children in collaboration with UNICEF, 2004, Road Traffic Accidents (RTA) was a close second overall between ages 0-17. But RTA was first for ages 10-17.

http://swimsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Thai-child-short-report.pdf

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Traffic accidents are one thing. Kids not seat belted in, piled into the back of a pickup truck, falling off a motor bike, etc.  But drowning.  Disregarding falling into water unexpectedly, or hitting ones head and getting knocked out on the edge of a pool, so many "drowning" events were because the kids simply could not swim!  God damn it.  Yes of course supervision would or could help, like don't let them in the water, or don't wade in past your knees, but that in itself is silly.  Don't let the kids go in the water unless they can swim.  That is parental crime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bheard said:

Do a google search and you'll see that drowning is number one by a decent margin.

Can you provide your link that shows "drowning is number one by a decent margin," assuming you mean "substantial" margin?

I found (ref. post #15) that drowning was number one by a small margin but for several age groups it wasn't even number one.