JAL or ANA out of BKK....Which is better??

On 6/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, bkk6060 said:

ANA is Star alliance, so you cannot use AA miles.

Eva or Asiana are the best I think but again, Star Alliance.

I've never flown EVA but I would disagree with Asiana being better than ANA. I have flown long-haul Asiana and EVA flights in both business class and economy, and ANA have always been significantly superior in terms of seats, service and food.

That said, Asiana  are usually significantly cheaper than ANA.

Asiana has been near the top, before.  I thought it was the best, at the time, but consistency may be an issue.    Inchon can give you some long layovers,  With ANA doing five daily non-stop s from BK K to Tokyo, that will probably remain as one of the best choices for SA.  I do like transiting through PEK, but AIR CHINA is second rate.

Sorry for my mistake above, where I wrote "I have flown long-haul Asiana and EVA flights ". That should have been Asiana and ANA.

Regarding the long connection time at ICN when you fly OZ to North America, yes, it can be very long – as much as 12 hours, arriving early morning. Here is a suggestion that they do not publicise: If your connect time is greater than eight hours, OZ will comp you a room over in Incheon city, together with a lunch ticket. The room is nothing luxurious, but it's fine for a day room. You can also take a walk around Incheon for some shopping or a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants nearby. English is a problem, but most of them have photos of the dishes and you can do point and choose.

That long connection just about wastes a whole day but if you have the time, the break complete with a shower and snooze is nice. You need to call OZ after you are ticketed and request the room. When you arrive, you go to the OZ counter near the doors exiting arrival and collect your voucher, then get on a minibus which will take you to the hotel.

You can also opt for a free all-day city tour of Seoul, but you cannot have both the tour and the room.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bubba said:

Sorry for my mistake above, where I wrote "I have flown long-haul Asiana and EVA flights ". That should have been Asiana and ANA.

Regarding the long connection time at ICN when you fly OZ to North America, yes, it can be very long – as much as 12 hours, arriving early morning. Here is a suggestion that they do not publicise: If your connect time is greater than eight hours, OZ will comp you a room over in Incheon city, together with a lunch ticket. The room is nothing luxurious, but it's fine for a day room. You can also take a walk around Incheon for some shopping or a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants nearby. English is a problem, but most of them have photos of the dishes and you can do point and choose.

That long connection just about wastes a whole day but if you have the time, the break complete with a shower and snooze is nice. You need to call OZ after you are ticketed and request the room. When you arrive, you go to the OZ counter near the doors exiting arrival and collect your voucher, then get on a minibus which will take you to the hotel.

You can also opt for a free all-day city tour of Seoul, but you cannot have both the tour and the room.

I did that...took the room..it was superb..great bed, and a huge bath-tub.  Lunch was decent van rides were easy...There is a list somewhere of the ten or so airports that actually take care of you on long layovers..worth a look.  The day I was there, the North had struck with an artillery shell, but you don't normally see many smiles from the Koreans..except the usually beautiful flight attendants.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bubba said:

I've never flown EVA but I would disagree with Asiana being better than ANA. I have flown long-haul Asiana and EVA flights in both business class and economy, and ANA have always been significantly superior in terms of seats, service and food.

That said, Asiana  are usually significantly cheaper than ANA.

If you made sense maybe people could understand.

You said you never have flown EVA, then you say you have flown it in long hauls and you make a comparison with ANA??

I come from LA and the Narita to BKK on ANA is mostly those cradle seats not 180 degree in business at 6'-3" I hate them. What a way to ruin a new 787...  Plus, ANA planes are like a sauna from my experience.

So Asiana may be cheaper and flat all the way.  Sounds like a winner to me..

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If you made sense maybe people could understand.

You said you never have flown EVA, then you say you have flown it in long hauls and you make a comparison with ANA??

I come from LA and the Narita to BKK on ANA is mostly those cradle seats not 180 degree in business at 6'-3" I hate them. What a way to ruin a new 787...  Plus, ANA planes are like a sauna from my experience.

So Asiana may be cheaper and flat all the way.  Sounds like a winner to me..

If you read two posts above, you will see that I made an error and by the time I noticed that, it was too late to edit.

I wouldn't know about ANA's 787 between LAX and NRT. I have only flown the 777-300er on that route and as far as I can see, that is all they are flying now with their two flights per day. Those are 1-2-1 and full flat. I have also flown OZ's A380 between LAX and NRT. I didn't find a lot of difference in the seats between the two of them, but IMHO ANA was much better in terms of onboard amenities and food. For example, not that I really care about collecting more of them, OZ is cutting costs by only providing amenity kits outbound from ICN. You will not get one from LAX-ICN. ANA provide you with a really comfy seat topper for when you go flat and sleep, but you only get a blanket with OZ. Personally, I found the food to be much better on ANA. Another problem I have had with OZ is the English proficiency of the FAs, where sometimes it is difficult to communicate. That could have been because I wasn't understandable. I didn't notice any problem with the cabin temperature, on several flights to LAX and IAD.

Oh, and ANA have Japanese style bum washers in the lavatory. 

I did take OZ on my last trip to LAX, but just because it was about US$1000 less expensive than ANA and had enough time to waste during that 12 hour connection at ICN. Costs being equal, I would definitely go with ANA.

By the way, you will not get "flat all the way" on OZ if you get one of the old A330s or 747s that they fly between ICN and BKK. It will be back in the cradle for you on those.

Hopefully my writing was sufficiently understandable this time.

Edited by bubba

3 minutes ago, bubba said:

If you read two posts above, you will see that I made an error and by the time I noticed that, it was too late to edit.

I wouldn't know about ANA's 787 between LAX and NRT. I have only flown the 777-300er on that route and as far as I can see, that is all they are flying now with their two flights per day. Those are 1-2-1 and full flat. I have also flown OZ's A380 between LAX and NRT. I didn't find a lot of difference in the seats between the two of them, but IMHO ANA was much better in terms of onboard amenities and food. For example, not that I really care about collecting more of them, OZ is cutting costs by only providing amenity kits outbound from ICN. You will not get one from LAX-ICN. ANA provide you with a really comfy seat topper for when you go flat and sleep, but you only get a blanket with OZ. Personally, I found the food to be much better on ANA. Another problem I have had with OZ is the English proficiency of the FAs, where sometimes it is difficult to communicate. I didn't notice any problem with the cabin temperature, on several flights to LAX and IAD.

Oh, and ANA have Japanese style bum washers in the lavatory. 

I did take OZ on my last trip to LAX, but just because it was about US$1000 less expensive than ANA and had enough time to waste during that 12 hour connection at ICN. Costs being equal, I would definitely go with ANA.

By the way, you will not get "flat all the way" on OZ if you get one of the old A330s or 747s that they fly between ICN and BKK. It will be back in the cradle for you on those.

Hopefully my writing was sufficiently understandable this time.

No problem.

I am just not a big fan of ANA.  I actually think the food (western choices) sucks and the hot planes and fake smiles they are trained on wear on me after 17 hours. Actually the best food option I have had is the Ippudo Ramen soup snack.  They had a great burger before but that was gone the last time I flew.

Anyway, the best bang for the buck I think is EVA premium economy. I can actually stretch out on that and lucky no one next to me the last few times.

But to each their own a personal choice like anything else.

Safe flying for you...

• Like 1

Same to you, BKK6060.

Further to ANA, in the Skytrax awards last year (2018 isn't out yet), ANA got third best overall, behind Qatar and Singapore. For business class, they came in second, behind Qatar.

Asiana took third in economy, with ANA at eighth and EVA at ninth.

For what it's worth.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:03 PM, bkk6060 said:

So Asiana may be cheaper and flat all the way.  Sounds like a winner to me.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:22 PM, bubba said:

It has become more of an black art than a science in trying to avoid those infernal "cradle" or "angled lie-flat" seats on the intra-Asia flights out of BKK.  OZ can be an A330 (angled lie-flat) or an A380 (true lie-flat).  NH can be a 787-8 (cradle) or 787-9 (true lie-flat) seat.  Schedule changes abound making an advance booking a crap shoot as to what type of seat you'll actually get.  </rant off>

• 4 weeks later...

JAL is top notch.  Have flown in and out twice from the USA.  The AA part of the trip to Japan was horrible.  Gosh the American attendents all looked lilke they hated their jobs and us customers that had the nerve to pay for and sit on their airplane.  The JAL leg from Japan to BKK saved the day.  The stewardesses were great.  Plane was spotless.  I even saw the stewardesses clean the bathroom during the flight. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2018 at 6:44 AM, bubba said:

Same to you, BKK6060.

Further to ANA, in the Skytrax awards last year (2018 isn't out yet), ANA got third best overall, behind Qatar and Singapore. For business class, they came in second, behind Qatar.

Asiana took third in economy, with ANA at eighth and EVA at ninth.

For what it's worth.

EVA used to be great and I thought the Premium Elite seats were a fantastic price/bargain.  The last few years they re modeled the 777 seats and they no longer have the same foot rests.  My next trip from LAX is most likely going to be on China Air elite or Cathay Pacific.  Sorry EVA, it was a good run as I lumped all my miles on EVA, got some price discounts, used the lounges on one trip. 

EVA used to be great and I thought the Premium Elite seats were a fantastic price/bargain.  The last few years they re modeled the 777 seats and they no longer have the same foot rests.  My next trip from LAX is most likely going to be on China Air elite or Cathay Pacific.  Sorry EVA, it was a good run as I lumped all my miles on EVA, got some price discounts, used the lounges on one trip. 

Just my $0.02, but I liked EVA’s newly remodeled 777s, much better seats and entertainment than the last time I flew them. The food blows, but ANA is no better and I’m too fat anyway.

China Airlines is attractive for Los Angeles if you’re not going downtown as you can now fly into ONT which is a much quicker and easier than LAX. Hotels are cheaper as well. I have not used the service, but I have flown out of ONT any number of times for domestic flights and it is nice.

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Just my $0.02, but I liked EVA’s newly remodeled 777s, much better seats and entertainment than the last time I flew them. The food blows, but ANA is no better and I’m too fat anyway.

China Airlines is attractive for Los Angeles if you’re not going downtown as you can now fly into ONT which is a much quicker and easier than LAX. Hotels are cheaper as well. I have not used the service, but I have flown out of ONT any number of times for domestic flights and it is nice.

Oh, didn't know they fly out of ONT now. Yes I agree that is so much easier to get to depending of course on what part of LA one is in.  I flew out of there only once domestically but I was working in Azusa at the time and it was easy to drive down the freeway into ONT instead of dealing with LAX.  As for the new seats on EVA, I was referring to the Premium Elite seats, not the coach seats.  can't comment on the coach seats since I haven't flown them

12 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Oh, didn't know they fly out of ONT now. Yes I agree that is so much easier to get to depending of course on what part of LA one is in.  I flew out of there only once domestically but I was working in Azusa at the time and it was easy to drive down the freeway into ONT instead of dealing with LAX.  As for the new seats on EVA, I was referring to the Premium Elite seats, not the coach seats.  can't comment on the coach seats since I haven't flown them

one of my all time favorite Italian restaurants is in Ontario..Rosa's..Don't know if it lives on...is that exit Vinyard St.?  Off the I10?

BTW, I am going  to Virginia next month on ANA economy, and returning on JAL...Will give a report, complete with rundown on the flight attendants, especially since it angers the PC crowd so much...some of those angry dykes  on UAL should be driving tow  trucks....

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1