JAL or ANA out of BKK....Which is better??

I thought ANA was very solid, but trying to use American  Airlines miles.....how is JAL?  Food, drinks, hostesses?  Any experiences, or anything I should know?

Edited by moontang

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

ANA is Star alliance, so you cannot use AA miles.

Eva or Asiana are the best I think but again, Star Alliance.

that is why I was asking about JAL....

• Like 1

Where are you going? Class of service?

If Japan, then maybe on to the U.S. using OW miles, then I think your options for BKK-JPN would be limited to JL?

If to the U.S. then you could try CX via HKG, then CX or AA to the U.S.

Obviously using OW miles can't be done on NH (a *A airline), so no point really asking if it's "better", right?

yes, going to the States and back.  Used American miles last year on Cathay....was excellent..but....640am means leaving BK K apartment before four...sucks...also a four hour layover at ORD.  So going out, I did one way with ANA through United, and leave at 0030 which means an easy rail link, and arrive near my parents in the middle of the day.  And fees were a bit less, than CX..60.01 US...using the American miles to come back On JAL, and that was 21.50.had to do that over the phone...So will be a good comparison of the two, taking two long segments, with all four using NRT.  ANA was 40,000 miles, JAL was 37,500 and I think you get 10% back.  Was going to use Qatar..but On awards, they will only take you to DOHA, when done with OneWorld.  Oh, and the Star Alliance system is far superior, especially for US and BKK...I had many options.

Edited by moontang

If you're traveling in Economy, JL 787s have roomier 8-abreast seating (2-4-2) vs the more standard seating on ANA (NH) which is 9-abreast (3-3-3).

If you're traveling in Business, the NH 787-8's flown between BKK and Tokyo have "cradle seats" which can be quite uncomfortable.  The way the seat reclines, it painfully cuts off circulation to the back of my thighs.  NH 787-9's are lie-flat.  JL's flights can either be lie-flat or angled-flat, but at least not "cradle".

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

If you're traveling in Economy, JL 787s have roomier 8-abreast seating (2-4-2) vs the more standard seating on ANA (NH) which is 9-abreast (3-3-3).

Right.

But the data shown on seatguru say that ANA has a 34" pitch?

34 is superb for economy!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Right.

ANA is tight in coach. Service is nice, seating, not so much.

Business class is good, and the entertainment has really improved.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Right.

According to seatguru.com ANA has 31" seat pitch on it 787-8s.   Granted, the 787-9s do have 34" seat pitch.

NH 787-8 = "Torture seat" in Business + 3-3-3 with 31" pitch in Economy = Ugh.

Seat pitch can be a little deceiving, as the thin-back new seats with reconfigured hinges offer a little more room.

I was on a UA codeshare operated by ANA BKK-NRT 787-8 biz & thought the seat was okay.

Looked like ANA had a hundreds 787 at NRT. You

It sounds like you had both *A and OW miles to redeem Economy award travel. And that you made your choice(s) based on schedule(s), taxes/fees, rather than "food, drinks or hostesses"?

JL and NH have many different 787 configs.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, moontang said:

So going out, I did one way with ANA through United, and leave at 0030

I've done this a few times, and it sucks too. Two overnight flights, no real advantage re: arrival in the U.S., very long layover at NRT, but the RCC opens early and you can sleep in the back as it is so very quiet until the arrival banks hit, grabbing a shower just as the showers open. 

also a four hour layover at ORD.

Personally, I wouldn't leave much less than a 120 min connection at ORD (summer t-storms, massive number of summer travelers, winter snow) given the transition from T5 to T1 (immigration, baggage, customs, handoff, train, clear TSA), and I have both GE and TSA Pre. Assuming you have TSA Pre, you'll have to get your BPs reprinted at NRT (RCC, UA Desk, dep gate) to reflect that as NH cannot do that at check-in at BKK.

Star Alliance system is far superior, especially for US and BKK

*A is the larger alliance so this makes sense.

Redeeming award travel involves many, many, many variables, starting with inventory/availability/CoS/total cost, schedule, status, club availability, E+ (on UA), luggage allotments, connections points, TSA Pre, and probably a few more I've learned and forgotten. But basically, it all starts with Saver (or relevant fewest miles category) availability.

It is the 787-9 on BKK-,NRT.....777-,300DR onto USA.

Are you ticketed on the NH flight number (NH 808), or the UA codeshare (UA 7955)  for BKK-NRT, for NRT-USA, are you ticketed on NH metal, UA metal, or a codeshare? Do you have any status with UA, NH or *A? You can manage the NH segment, on the NH website, using the NH PNR.

Edited by mtls2005

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It sounds like you had both *A and OW miles to redeem Economy award travel. And that you made your choice(s) based on schedule(s), taxes/fees, rather than "food, drinks or hostesses"?

JL and NH have many different 787 configs.

I've done this a few times, and it sucks too. Two overnight flights, no real advantage re: arrival in the U.S., very long layover at NRT, but the RCC opens early and you can sleep in the back as it is so very quiet until the arrival banks hit, grabbing a shower just as the showers open. 

Personally, I wouldn't leave much less than a 120 min connection at ORD (summer t-storms, winter snow) given the transition from T5 to T1 (immigration, baggage, customs, handoff, train, clear TSA), and I have both GE and TSA Pre. Assuming you have TSA Pre, you'll have to get your BPs reprinted at NRT (RCC, UA Desk, dep gate) to reflect that as NH cannot do that at check-in at BKK.

*A is the larger alliance so this makes sense.

Redeeming award travel involves many, many, many variables, starting with inventory/availability/CoS/total cost, schedule, status, club availability, E+ (on UA), luggage allotments, connections points, TSA Pre, and probably a few more I've learned and forgotten. But basically, it all starts with Saver (or relevant fewest miles category) availability.

It is the 787-9 on BKK-,NRT.....777-,300DR onto USA.

Are you ticketed on the NH flight number (NH 808), or the UA codeshare (UA 7955)  for BKK-NRT, for NRT-USA, are you ticketed on NH metal, UA metal, or a codeshare? Do you have any status with UA, NH or *A? You can manage the NH segment, on the NH website, using the NH PNR.

I anticipated on ANA...And have already managed the ticket at their website.    United gives you the locate number(s) for the other airlines in your itenerary.  You have to ask with AA.  Two hour and twenty minutes it's layover in NRT...I have United club pass, too, comfortable connection IMO.  One of the better Asian airports f or cuban cigars, and even smoking...but if course that can rapidly change.

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

Two hour and twenty minutes it's layover in NRT.

Are you on NH metal to IAH? (NH 174/UA 7936)?

Not too many *A (UA/NH) flights leave NRT for the USA much before ~ 16:00.

9 minutes ago, moontang said:

I have United club pass

You have a one-time pass, or have access via UA *G status? IMO, the NH lounges are much better, so with *G you could use them.

20 hours ago, mogandave said:

ANA is tight in coach. Service is nice, seating, not so much.

Business class is good, and the entertainment has really improved.

I thought they were small also.

But at 6-2 with long legs, any Econ. is difficult.

Another thing ANA seems to have hot planes.  Not sure why I sweat the whole flight.

Sorry off topic my favorite by far is Eva premium economy.  Pay a little more but I can fully stretch out and only 2 seats on the sides.

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Granted, the 787-9s do have 34" seat pitch.

Yes there are ANA 787 with 31".

But I had checked using the flight number (NH808) and saw three versions all with 34".

Edited by KhunBENQ

I thought they were small also.
But at 6-2 with long legs, any Econ. is difficult.
Another thing ANA seems to have hot planes.  Not sure why I sweat the whole flight.
Sorry off topic my favorite by far is Eva premium economy.  Pay a little more but I can fully stretch out and only 2 seats on the sides.

It seems to me, all the Asian carriers have hot aircraft. Kind of odd, as it’s cheaper to let it be cool. I guess Asians like it warm...

Before UA dropped BKK service with a gold card you got automatic upgrade to econ+,all 787 BKK-NRT-LAX, nice...

But not as nice as the TG BKK-LAX nonstop...

• Like 1

A pair of flight attendant from the U.S. BK K Huh good me they were actually the highest rated US Hub in the system, yet, still shuttered.  Always seems to be a pig farm in Chicago.  The best thing about AA was the ability to avoid ORD, but nowadays, many A A  flights out you in the same slop.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

A laid off flight attendant from the UA BKK hub told me they were actually the highest rated UA Hub in the system, yet, still shuttered.  Always seems to be a pig farm in Chicago.  The best thing about AA was the ability to avoid ORD, but nowadays, many A A  flights drop you in the same slop.

edit.

Edited by moontang

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes there are ANA 787 with 31".

But I had checked using the flight number (NH808) and saw three versions all with 34".

Until 15-Aug-2018, NH806 -- the BKK-NRT morning flight that connects with the UA flights from NRT to the USA -- is scheduled as a 787-8 with cradle seats and 31" 3-3-3.

From 16-Aug-2018 to 28-Sep-2018 it is a 787-9 with lie-flat and 34" 3-3-3.

From 29-Sep-2018 to 30-Mar-2019 it's back to the 787-8.

There are definitely ways to avoid the 787-8 out of BKK on NH, such as leaving at midnight and connecting to a morning NH flight out of NRT to the USA, or connecting via HND.  NH's 787-9 has a vastly more comfortable configuration than their 787-8.

Until 15-Aug-2018, NH806 -- the BKK-NRT morning flight that connects with the UA flights from NRT to the USA -- is scheduled as a 787-8 with cradle seats and 31" 3-3-3.

There are definitely ways to avoid the 787-8 out of BKK on NH, such as leaving at midnight and connecting to a morning NH flight out of NRT to the USA, or connecting via HND.  NH's 787-9 has a vastly more comfortable configuration than their 787-8.

In biz, coach or both?

17 hours ago, wpcoe said:

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

In biz, coach or both?

NH 787-8

- Business = cradle seat (not lie-flat, nor even angled-flat), 2-2-2

- Economy = 31" seat pitch

NH 787-9

- Business = lie flat, all aisle access (1-2-1)

- Economy = 34" seat pitch

Edited by wpcoe
formatting

NH 787-8
- Business = cradle seat (not lie-flat, nor even angled-flat), 2-2-2
- Economy = 31" seat pitch

NH 787-9
- Business = lie flat, all aisle access (1-2-1)
- Economy = 34" seat pitch

I must have been on the 9, it was 1-2-1

Front/Bulkhead seats have much better foot-room.

I fly BKK-HND and BKK-KIX a lot for work.

Premium Economy on both JAL & ANA are great. Bigger seats, more legroom, more recline, better food and access to the lounge for both (unusual for PE!). Usually it's only a 50% surcharge on an economy ticket.

If booking with miles, it may not be that much more but I'd argue well worth it.

If flying economy or business, I prefer Thai. The service tends to be less robotic and I'm not a big fan of Japanese food which is often the only option. Also, if the flight is on an A380 or A350, the business class seats are much better than those on ANA or JAL. If it's on a 747 or older 777 (non-ER), the seats on Thai aren't great.