Can't Shut Down Notebook Totally, Help Please

scorecard

I'm lost.

Forever when I did 'shut down' it automatically closed all the open tabs.

Now suddenly my Lenovo notebook seems to be erratic and it takes forever to open g.mail, TV Thai news, and more. 

Plus I do the 'shut down' and later when I start up the notebook again and all the tabs that were open just before the last 'shut down' are open again with whatever I was previously lookin at all open.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a specific sign of something which needs attention?

I use paid Kaspersky and AdAware.

And comments or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks. 

If all else fails, unplug and remove battery. Might clear out whatever problem is causing it, and then try re-starting. 

Sure others will offer a list of possible reasons as the actual source of the problem, whether it's hardware or OS/software related.

Need a bit more information first...

When you say that all your previous tabs are still there, is this as soon as you start the computer or when you launch the browser?

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Need a bit more information first...

When you say that all your previous tabs are still there, is this as soon as you start the computer or when you launch the browser?

Thanks, it's when I launch the browser.

I forgot to mention another item. I often use the 'snip' or 'capture' facility and then click the X when I'm finished (otherwise it hangs around as it's a nuisance). 

But since I've been having these problems, after full shut down, then re start up the notebook perhaps 5 seconds after the notebook is fully open the 'snip' bar appear again and I need to chick it again to close it.

Also, after full shut down then full re-start any downloads I have performed re-appear rather than gone at full shut down.

Thanks.

Just talking to a stranger in my local coffee shop, he was adamant that full shut down then manual full re-start done 10 times with a break of 10 seconds each time will slowly return the device back to it's original settings.

Any comments?

There may be s setting in the browser itself to reload previous tabs when it starts. Alternatively, if there is something corrupt in the browser profile it may also cause this behaviour.
No immediate ideas about the snipping tool thing but as for the restart 10 times; sounds like nonsense to me

27 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

There may be s setting in the browser itself to reload previous tabs when it starts. Alternatively, if there is something corrupt in the browser profile it may also cause this behaviour.
No immediate ideas about the snipping tool thing but as for the restart 10 times; sounds like nonsense to me

Yes - that restart 10 times is total rubbish!

I'm assuming you're on Windows 10. If not, disregard the following! If you are, check what Windows 10 version you're on - your PC may have updated to the April update without you realising, in which case settings would default back to what MS likes - one of them is Fast Start which is a useless, stupid idea! (Open a command prompt and type "winver" (without the quotes)  -  if it HAS updated, Version will be 1803 and an OS build number, if not it will be 1709 and an OS build number)

Here's one that has NOT yet updated:

image.png

But either way, see if you get the same issue doing a Restart, rather than shutting down and manually restarting.

If you do NOT,  Disable Fast Start as Fast Start only applies on a shut down / startup rather than a Restart, so you're never actually shutting down.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just talking to a stranger in my local coffee shop, he was adamant that full shut down then manual full re-start done 10 times with a break of 10 seconds each time will slowly return the device back to it's original settings.

Any comments?

Coffee will get cold though.

Things update and appear to change settings.........

Look in settings.......  [Customise Chrome]  maybe same with other Browsers ??

On start up............ 

Open the New Tab page

Continue where you left off

Open a specific page or set of pages

notice on mine sometimes the same happens and pages that were open when closing/shutting down re-appear....... I go to Customise Chrome............ the  'Continue where you left off'  is ticked.....  I did NOT change this so re-tick  'Open the New Tab page'

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

sounds like some things are running you may not want.  Try the free  malaware bytes and Avira.  In all my years I have had only one issue on my old laptop.  Three years on this HP Elitebook and never a problem.  ALl is free

Interesting, I have paid AdAware but suddenly  it keeps reloading every few hours.

Perhaps i'll kill AdAware and use Avira. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Interesting, I have paid AdAware but suddenly  it keeps reloading every few hours.

Perhaps i'll kill AdAware and use Avira. 

I used to use Norton Antivirus, but that darn thing kept updating, downloading files, and used a considerable amount of resources on my old Laptop.  It got so bad I removed it.  And if you have the option, do NOT select update automatically.  Nothing wrong with being kept up to date, but I don't want the interruptions.  I am smart enough to download and update frequently.

Archived