Where has been your most magical moments ( travel wise ) in SE Asia?

peterb17

Flying into Lukla and 12 day hike up to Everest hotel to take a peak at the mountain 30 miles away wasn't bad; but also hiking up to sit on a bar stool at Patpong over 25 years ago wasn't too shabby as well when it was still in its crazy days. Actually back in the days I have too many travel stories too mention.  

Thanks - some places to check out - always good to hear other experiences . I’m pleased to see Myanmar mentioned- go there soon , Sadly it’s starting to be over run by you know who- go low season is a good idea- still welcoming and lovely people. 

Of course there is always one- I don’t think a visit to a brothel really counts ! 

too many to remember, but the trip circling Koh Samui on a bike was certainly an experience, also the road trip by car from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai left a nice impression, as well as a trip from Udon thani to Wat Pa Phu kon (Temple in the sky) with return trip along the Mekong. Love this country and its people, looking forward to do many more trips. 

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Traveling around PNG,that was 40 +- years ago,not

the same now i suspect.

regards worgeordie

No not the same anymore mate

Been there many times on business over the years, diving is spectacular, the country itself is magnificent, but the people have no value on life

Cheers

Grizzly

54 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

No not the same anymore mate

Been there many times on business over the years, diving is spectacular, the country itself is magnificent, but the people have no value on life

Cheers

Grizzly

What is PNG ? 

I went solo to Siem Reap and hired a tuk tuk driver for a few days to be my personal driver/guide/gopher. It's probably the most enjoyable few days traveling I have had in Asia. I just told him what I wanted and he planned everything out. Great guy. I've still got his number if anyone wants it. 

Arriving in Changmai from BKK in April, 1973 accompanied by a  hotel taxi driver/friend/guide in the quest to visit the hill tribes in order to buy crossbow.  After hiring a second guide with a four wheeled drive Toyota pickup, we literally took off into the jungle, off road, jumping one feet diameter fallen logs, doing a lot more damage to the vehicle than the $10 hire price.  In the middle of the jungle it dawns on me that this would be a good place to get my throat cut. Luckily that didn't happen and we approached the hill tribe village. Just before entering, an attractive young woman dressed in rags passed our truck.  It looked like a scene out of 1,000,000 years B.C.  When we entered the village the inhabitants scattered, afraid of the unknown visitors.  The second guide called out that the farang just wanted to buy some crossbows.  That broke the ice and I literally bought all their crossbows for $1.67 each, possibly leaving them defenseless.  Their poverty was unbelievable.  I had truly been to one of the ends of the earth.  Postscript.  Once back at hotel with piles of crossbows tied together in front of the lobby desk, a well heeled older lady tourist says 'what is this, some kind of insurrection?'  Later up in the hotel room, one of the room boys and I light up some Thai stick and proceed to shoot about fifty holes in the room door.  I then said to the room boy 'now what do we do so we don't get into trouble?' and he says 'no problem' and grabs a couple of 'visit Thailand' posters, tapes one to each side of the door, and I checkout of the hotel.  Great memory.

Phuket 35 years ago , I fell in love with the people and the island. Boracay, the best beaches , sand like flour , also 30 yrs back. Being one of the first tourists arriving in Burma, Bagan , the Schwedagon, and the lovely people. Jungle trekking in Borneo and staying in the remote village long houses. Machu Pichu lately, Titicaca, Borobudur, climbing to the top and a magnificent view, colourful Bali and all it’s  mysterious customs, I could go on and on, there’s so many beautiful places in the world, in Europe too. My heads full of memories.

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

What is PNG ? 

So I am guessing geography is not one of your strong points ?

PNG = Papua New Guinea  an island North of Australia, the other 

half of the island is the Indonesian provinces of  Papua and West Papua.

regards worgeordie

22 hours ago, Farang99 said:

50 years ago, a visit to Angkor Wat and discovering the little jewel of Bantaey Srei. In those days very few tourists and free entry everywhere.

Banteay Srei .JPG

Banteay Srei 1.JPG

Banteay Srei 2.JPG

Banteay Srei 3.JPG

Banteay Srei 4.JPG

Banteay Srei 5.JPG

1,000 years old, and the carvings look as if they were done a couple of days ago.

So I am guessing geography is not one of your strong points ?
PNG = Papua New Guinea  an island North of Australia, the other 
half of the island is the Indonesian provinces of  Papua and West Papua.
regards worgeordie

Regards to you too

My knowledge of geography is fine- I just don’t subscribe to the obsessions with abbreviations. So don’t lecture .
I as many on this forum - we are fed up with your <deleted> wit one liners .

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 8:02 AM, chicowoodduck said:

Any trip to Suvarnabhumi Airport....heading out of LOS is always a treat.....?

In a refreshing thread about positivity it didn't take long for one of you to pop up did it....

I assume you haven't returned since your last trip to the airport?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 9:56 PM, geisha said:

<snip> Machu Pichu lately, Titicaca, Borobudur, climbing to the top and a magnificent view, colourful Bali and all it’s  mysterious customs, I could go on and on, there’s so many beautiful places in the world, in Europe too. My heads full of memories.

Just to note that some long-time friends of mine, after selling their company that they started from scratch 25 years before, went to a lot of these places all in 25 days

image.png.ff41f9d2935ef592a946fd6a4984ca9c.png

image.png.f6660dfa06f336fbc85d16825731336a.png

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/expeditions/destinations/around-the-world/private-jet/around-the-world-jet-tour/

Edited by JLCrab