Where To Take Parents

glenbat

Im planning on a move to LOS in next couple of years and would like to show my parents that its not all sleaze (they're very old fashioned) :o

and bring them over for a couple of weeks and show them the other side of the place, away from the neon lights of Patts.

Where would be a good place to use as base for a couple of weeks, somewhere we can head out in most directions and find temples, attractions, places like Nong Nooch, croc farm etc (I know these are both pretty close to Pattaya though)

I want to be away from the 'madness' enough to not turn me mum grey overnight, but close enough to some expat/falang bars

Was thinking of Chang Mai or Kanchanaburi just from what I've been reading on here, any other suggestions?

Im planning on a move to LOS in next couple of years and would like to show my parents that its not all sleaze (they're very old fashioned) :o

and bring them over for a couple of weeks and show them the other side of the place, away from the neon lights of Patts.

Where would be a good place to use as base for a couple of weeks, somewhere we can head out in most directions and find temples, attractions, places like Nong Nooch, croc farm etc (I know these are both pretty close to Pattaya though)

I want to be away from the 'madness' enough to not turn me mum grey overnight, but close enough to some expat/falang bars

Was thinking of Chang Mai or Kanchanaburi just from what I've been reading on here, any other suggestions?

How a bout a double-centre: the scenery etc. around Chang Mai, then Surin as a centre for the Khmer temples and Isaan villages ?

Cheers,

Mike

Lampang has a bit of everything.

Quite a few bar/restaurants along the river.

Some temples to see, the most famous is Phra Tat Lampang Luang (outside the town).

Ceramic market for souvenirs + Indra factory outlet on the outskirts.

Elephant training center on the road to Lampun and Chiang Mai.

Lampun and Chiang Mai are just 100-150km away.

Sukhotai and its sister city Srirachanarai are also within reach on a 1- or 2-day trip (if you drive, don't miss the road 101, there are some nice teak forests along there).

Last but not least, I almost forgot the horse carriages to go around the town. :o

very off topic i know...but I gotta say KanWin you have some really good photos. great talent :o thanks for sharing with us.

now just to pretend to be on topic a little....:D (yes I know very sneaky of me).......how about checking out Cha-am or Hua Hin? within no more than 3 hours drive from bangkok, with both public buses or train available, they are within easy reach, has the nice beach, including laid back atmosphere, hua hin has lots of nice farang type restaurants, some limited farang type bars.....

but if you decide to live there, Id suggest to be mindful when you go out on a night out.....avoid getting into any kind of conflict with locals.....i know this is standard practice you should keep in mind everywhere you live...but Ive seen first hand quite a number of nasty fights between thais (one being local, while the other being from out of town)...over almost a non-issue.

anyhow...still worth checking out as option :D

I think you are right when saying Chiang Mai or Kanchanaburi. Both places have lots to offer and work extremely well as a base for excursions to nearby attractions. They have the infrastructure and enough natural beauty to be workable.

Krabi is also a good option if they like the beach more than the mountains. Cheaper than Phuket, less sleaze, good communications to go island hopping (Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Ngai), and plenty of Western comforts around the Ao Nang area.

My father and his wife were here recently for the first time .... here's some of the things I suggested we do. We did most of them (over a period of two weeks) and they seemed to enjoy their time here. For the Kanchanburi part we hired a van and driver which was an excellent way to do it. The daily rate was 1750 per day plus gas (deisal) and we gave him about 300 baht per night so he could find his own guesthouse accomodation. PM me if you want the contact details.

Around bangkok:

Chatuchak Weekend market

Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), Wat Po, canal tour by long-tail boat.

Chinatown / Jim Thompson’s House

Vimanmek Mansion, Dusit Zoo (Dusit Zoo was for my son's benefit but they still enjoyed it - more than him even!)

Aquarium /Siam Paragon Shopping Centre/other shopping centres

dinner cruise on Chao Praya River (Shangri-la cruise)

Outside of Bangkok

Day trip to Ayuthaya – ruined city

Day trip to Phimai Ruins, Baan Prasart Archaeological site and Chokchai Farm (Isaan area - Khorat province) This was a long day trip - 600 kms in one day but worth it).

Trip to Kanchanburi - Possible activities include:

Bridge over the River Kwai

Hellfire Pass

Elephant Riding / Bamboo Rafting

Tiger Temple (make sure you get there before 4pm)

War Cemeteries and Museums

Death railway (train ride)

Erawan Falls, etc (Our driver took us to lots of other sights as well).

Hope this helps.

Edited by sylvafern

I'm sure your old man would like to take a leisurely stroll down Soi 6 - might revive some "old fashioned" memories!?!

Cheers people some great suggestions, Wilko I'm afraid it might bring on an early heart attack for the old git :o

Cracking photos Kan Win really good, I guess its proof I've fallen for the country in a huge way sitting here wishing I was 6000 miles East.....

Thanks again

Edited by glenbat

Forgot to add I guess it'll be easy to hire a 'guide' ( :D:D ) for a few days in wherever I choose to base myself/the family, English speaking shouldnt be a problem should it in touristy spots like Kanchana and Chang Mai?

I'm sure you might find a willing participant from a bar close by? :o

I'm sure you might find a willing participant from a bar close by? :o

Ideally Brit I'd like a dark skinned, button nosed (the type that sunglasses dont agree with) lass with long legs and a heart melting smile... shouldnt be a problem I guess not in LOS

God I love that place :D

I thought this was a serious request for help based on the above statement, but i see by your more recent posts that you have no intention of showing them that the place is not 'all sleaze'. Luckily, most of us know that it's not, but i doubt your parents will with your intentions of hiring a 'guide' that obviously you expect will provide other services. Good luck to your parents. Wish I hadn't bothered replying to your original request.

gotta love our distant relatives from down under (do you realise just 200 years ago we could of been cousins?)

My comments were a light hearted tongue in cheek joke that some people got and you clearly didnt. I'm sorry if you're so serious 24/7, you really out not to be especially if living the the Land Of Smiles

Granted your post was the most helpful and i am appraciative of that, but please dont take everything I write so seriously as at some point you may find offence if you look hard enough. No one else has withdrawn their advice or asked for my forgiveness and my soul may well indeed get turned away by St Peter at the gates :o

good luck to you in finding some happiness

gotta love our distant relatives from down under (do you realise just 200 years ago we could of been cousins?)

My comments were a light hearted tongue in cheek joke that some people got and you clearly didnt. I'm sorry if you're so serious 24/7, you really out not to be especially if living the the Land Of Smiles

Granted your post was the most helpful and i am appraciative of that, but please dont take everything I write so seriously as at some point you may find offence if you look hard enough. No one else has withdrawn their advice or asked for my forgiveness and my soul may well indeed get turned away by St Peter at the gates :o

good luck to you in finding some happiness

You are right - I didn't get your "joke" but please don't make the assumption that just because I didn't know you were joking I don't have any happiness in life and need wishes of good luck to find some!!!!

Plenty of happiness thank very much! :bah:

Forgot to add I guess it'll be easy to hire a 'guide' ( :D:D ) for a few days in wherever I choose to base myself/the family, English speaking shouldnt be a problem should it in touristy spots like Kanchana and Chang Mai?
I'm sure you might find a willing participant from a bar close by? :D

Ideally Brit I'd like a dark skinned, button nosed (the type that sunglasses dont agree with) lass with long legs and a heart melting smile... shouldnt be a problem I guess not in LOS

God I love that place :D

Please be aware that it's comments like these that give men living or visiting Thailand a bad reputation - not everyone comes here for the girls (or boys) but comments like yours, whether joking or not, do help maintain the perception that that is exactly why they come here. When you do finally move here, if you don't want to come across as one of those sorts of guys, then think very carefully before making jokes like this around other foreigners and Thai people because, seriously they are very far from being a joke and no one finds them funny at all .... except those guys who do think along the lines of hiring a 'guide' who will perform extra duties. Just a bit of advice which you can take or leave.

:o

Sylvafern - Stop being so bloody serious!!! At the end of the day people will think what they want to think, regardless of smth said in jest. If you worry about that, you won't be living your life, you will be living how others think you should live your life. :D

cheers people...

I know weather can vary from region to region,but I'm hoping to visit Kanchana, Chang Mai, Patts and Isaan what time of year would it be most bereable?

I know its going to be hot hot hot most of the time but any dip in temp etc would be best for the oldies to come out...

How old oldies? Hua Hin good place, nice beaches, no sleazy nightlife, good shopping and restaurants and plenty sightseeing, visit oldie kings summer hangout from years gone by. Enough to keep us oldies (50 somethings) entertained and no sleaze that we could find(and we did look, being usual inhabitants of soi 6 on previous hols)!

Cheers begs

oldies, well ma's 60 and pa's 69 going on 29 :o but ive heard a few people mention hua hin.... wouldnt want me mum to see tooooo much of Soi 6, 7 or 8 but I might drag me dad (or is that the other way round?) along for an afternoon of oggling

Cant say too much dont want to give all you males in LOS a bad name.... :D