Hundreds of Small and Medium Hotels Closed by Police in Chiang Mai Crackdown

snoop1130

Hundreds of Small and Medium Hotels Closed by Police in Chiang Mai Crackdown

by CityNews

house.jpg

CityNews – Smalls and medium hotels are reportedly closing down across the city after police has increased their crackdown on enforcing the Hotel Act, forcing many owners to protest at City Hall.

On June 7th, local media reported that a large number of guest houses and minor accommodation service providers in Chiang Mai have been closing down.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/hundreds-small-medium-hotels-closed-police-chiang-mai-crackdown/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-6-7

Is it really hundreds of hotels as the article title says or just many?  Hundreds means at least 200.  that is a lot of properties.  Now as "low" season kind of approaches, is this the Juntas way of raising money, maybe figuring so many hotels will be nearly empty with no tourist dollars coming in, they now are trying to get money by fining the properties?  Boy, I hope my devious mind is exceeding reality.

• Like 2

Final Compliance of this law is in 2021.

How come "they" can close Hotels down TODAY when final compliance is 3 years away?

I smell a rat. I suppose, "they" want to give the Guest-House Owners enough time to raise some funds to fund the next "Police-Ball". Having done that, every shot-gun-shack will be issued a "Hotel-License". 

Mission accomplished, everbody happy. TIT.

Cheers.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

This is the police protection mafia in action....closing down competition to ensure guests stay at certain hotels...no doubt a top cop has some business interests in the industry.

I still see nothing much has changed in pattaya, i know a few places still operating no visits from anyone and their still charging top rates for electric and water

Yup,  lesser tourists in town and bib needs more coffee money. 

I still remember last year when eastin tan hotel opposite Maya, opening was delayed as no licence crap. 

So after "license " cough cough "brown envelope" was settled the hotel finally opened. 

The article seems prone to exaggeration,  what hundreds.. If it's hundreds the protests would appear.. 

Probably hundreds of rooms 555

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Correct and it will not change during our (at least my) lifetime.

It has changed considerably over the last few years and its only speculation that bribes are occurring in this instance .

It may well be that bribing has been clamped down on , and now hotels are required to adhere to the laws and rules .

It has changed and the clampdowns on bribes and corruption is happening as we speak

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Do you have proof that bribes took place , or are you just speculating ?

seriously,  you believe the kool aid you're drinking here? The junta is high and moral? 

Please leave your western morals at the door. This is a country in existence hundreds of years and never been occupied by western powers. 

This is the way they do things. From the time they go to school the brown envelopes start. They grow up with this concept. 

No, no these are not my watches,  they are from a dead friend. 

No amount of western influence will change their style of thinking. 

Already the current govt is the laughing stock of the world. 

I gib you tree days, tree days to gib me my monk. 

Don't be naive

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Puwa said:

The sign in the photograph says, more or less, "Operating and paying taxes for 13 years, and today we've become an illegal hotel. This is what the public faces." 

It would be great if CityNews could follow up with some basic facts, like an estimate of the total number of guest rooms in Chiang Mai, and how many are operated by licensed hotels. "Tax" can mean different things, from business declarations to tea money. The question of who was paying what to whom for what purpose might bear some exploration. CityNews gives one example of what small operators call an onerous regulation, reserving 15% green space. Many would agree, but the obvious question is whether they are also resisting rules about health and safety, things like occupancy and fire code.

I don't follow the hotel news too closely, but I've read of increased enforcement, or whatever we call it, for a couple of years. So this new police action is drastic but not sudden. Still, we're left wondering whether this was a disconnected spasm of bureaucracy or the tentacle of some larger plan. This is what the public faces.

Big boys flexing their power, possibly?

1 hour ago, Deez said:

Tea money needed today. The current government won't be here (hopefully) in 3 years

As the current government can't be voted out I think they may well be still here...

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It has changed considerably over the last few years and its only speculation that bribes are occurring in this instance .

It may well be that bribing has been clamped down on , and now hotels are required to adhere to the laws and rules .

It has changed and the clampdowns on bribes and corruption is happening as we speak

Exactly!

Will be denied by the anti "junta" crowd, but in the last four years many things have changed.

Read bribery gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alant said:

As the current government can't be voted out I think they may well be still here...

As you well know, tea money was here far before the current government, and cultivated mightely by former "elected" governments.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Telly said:

seriously,  you believe the kool aid you're drinking here? The junta is high and moral? 

Please leave your western morals at the door. This is a country in existence hundreds of years and never been occupied by western powers. 

This is the way they do things. From the time they go to school the brown envelopes start. They grow up with this concept. 

No, no these are not my watches,  they are from a dead friend. 

No amount of western influence will change their style of thinking. 

Already the current govt is the laughing stock of the world. 

I gib you tree days, tree days to gib me my monk. 

Don't be naive

I have no idea why you are going on about "Western influence" , as this is nothing to do with the West .

Thailand is getting its act together and clamping down on corruption .

The Army have taken over from the Police and the Army are policing the Police .

A good example is the licencing laws , the Army are enforcing the licencing laws , five years ago , you could buy alcohol anywhere 24 hours a day , with payment going to the Police , these days bribes are not accepted and its difficult , neigh on impossible to buy alcohol past 1 AM , sill a few mom & pop shops selling alcohol in the daytime , but highly unlikely that they re paying bribed to do so .

Clampdowns on bribes at check-points , you can no longer chuck the police a few hundred Baht , if you papers are not in order .

Clampdowns on bribery are happening in various aspects of Thai life , hotels can no longer pay off people to ignore building regulations .

I am not saying that it doesnt happen at all , but slowly but surely , the bribe culture is being clamped down upon

Edited by sanemax
typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thailand said:

And the hundreds of houses on estates offering Airbnb type services increase daily with no restrictions.

I do believe that Airbnb has been ruled illegal for stays of less than one month, in Thailand , that is a "restriction"  

It is not a case of people paying off officials to ignore building regulations. These building regulations have only just been invented. The "govt" is applying them retroactively.

It is basically paying to be able to continue to operate in business under the new set of rules. How you wish to construe that is up to you, but your correct understanding will more than likely have a positive correlation to the time you have spent doing business here.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do believe that Airbnb has been ruled illegal for stays of less than one month, in Thailand , that is a "restriction"  

You believe wrong, if you rent a single room in your home no matter how long the guest stay, as long as you compile a proper TM30 and you rent only a room and not a whole condo as it was in Hua Hin you are allowed to do it.

Many small business have been hit all over Thailand recently, some of them did modify the building without notify the local government, some other where bigger than the 4 rooms/20 guests that allows to run a small hotel without a hotel license, some of the last were completely shady, without a single permit for any kind of business (Said so if a place was properly registered and in the rules nobody will act against you).

There is to say that Thailand is going in the wrong direction, Backpacking and cheap accommodations are necessary for the local economy, many backpackers are coming to Thailand and more and more you ear them say that thailand is expansive, cut off also the cheap accommodations and Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam will finally taking over and the economi of this country will go to shit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1