teaching on line - work permit

There has been quite a bit of news recently about people teaching on line and not having work permits.

If a person wanted to teach on line and 2 scenarios here, one working for an overseas company and the other working privately, how would one go about getting a work permit? especially if it was a variety of students as per the second scenario, I thought one needed paperwork from a company or such to apply for a work permit. Has anyone been through this, any advice appreciated.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You can’t get a work permit in either case as you’re not employed by a Thai based business.

Working as a teacher online is unlawful without permission, which you won’t get. It’s highly unlikely the authorities would prosecute if they discovered what you were doing, but it’s best not to declare it.

• Thanks 1

A small clarification, over many years I've come across several newcomers to Thailand who have for whatever reason assumed that anybody can get a 'personal WP' for Thailand, meaning get the 'personal WP" then you can go ahead and do whatever you want (as long as it's inside some published boundaries), and also change the work, location etc at your our free will.

There is no such thing as a 'personal WP' for Thailand, as already said to get a WP for Thailand you have to be employed by a Thai registered company and within certain laws and regulations.

Further the appropriate Thai laws about this subject lists a number of specific occupations that are reserved for / can only be performed by Thai citizens. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A small clarification, over many years I've come across several newcomers to Thailand who have for whatever reason assumed that anybody can get a 'personal WP' for Thailand, meaning get the 'personal WP" then you can go ahead and do whatever you want (as long as it's inside some published boundaries), and also change the work, location etc at your our free will.

There is no such thing as a 'personal WP' for Thailand, as already said to get a WP for Thailand you have to be employed by a Thai registered company and within certain laws and regulations.

Further the appropriate Thai laws about this subject lists a number of specific occupations that are reserved for / can only be performed by Thai citizens. 

Agree no such thing.

Closest might be someone who starts a small business legally, with all shareholders, employee and cash requirements, and gets a WP based on that.

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Agree no such thing.

Closest might be someone who starts a small business legally, with all shareholders, employee and cash requirements, and gets a WP based on that.

Even closer is to work as a freelancer under the cover of a BOI registered umbrella company. 

I dont see why people see this as so impossible.. Almost anything done 'online' can be written to be tech related (one of the stipulations of the BOI route as I understand it). 

• Like 1

Related issue would be tutoring.  Many people like me have advanced degrees engineering, math, physics, etc and would love to tutor part time to high school or even college level students.  As I "retire" I would not mind keeping busy, keeping using at least my elementary engineering or math skills.   Some company properly formed and registered can take a nominal percentage or fee and employ me to tutor, seems like should be reasonably doable.  I am sure there is a market for it

10 hours ago, seancbk said:

Just teach online and don't tell anyone what you do.

How are the authorities ever going to find out what you do from the privacy of your own home.

I find it difficult to believe someone with no affiliation to some business or organization is going to generate much in the way of steady reliable income working privately, especially from within Thailand, tutoring online.

Real live tutors for most levels and subjects are readily available and at least then it's possible to get an idea if the person has a clue. Judging from some of the "teachers" who post on TV, the supply of talent is thin on the ground and paying some random person on the Internet to tutor you or your child without some proof of his/her qualifications and bona fides  seems a tad reckless.

Launching any sort of advertising about oneself in schools and colleges takes the whole thing beyond the "privacy of your own home" and would invite the annoyance of others who may not enjoy the competition.

And, depending on what immigration status one has allowing him/her to stay in Thailand, the income from such work could not be used to meet proof of source income for anything to do with immigrations.

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I find it difficult to believe someone with no affiliation to some business or organization is going to generate much in the way of steady reliable income working privately, especially from within Thailand, tutoring online.

Real live tutors for most levels and subjects are readily available and at least then it's possible to get an idea if the person has a clue. Judging from some of the "teachers" who post on TV, the supply of talent is thin on the ground and paying some random person on the Internet to tutor you or your child without some proof of his/her qualifications and bona fides  seems a tad reckless.

Launching any sort of advertising about oneself in schools and colleges takes the whole thing beyond the "privacy of your own home" and would invite the annoyance of others who may not enjoy the competition.

And, depending on what immigration status one has allowing him/her to stay in Thailand, the income from such work could not be used to meet proof of source income for anything to do with immigrations.

You seem to assume that the teaching has to be to Thais.   The whole point is it's online, so you could teach Spaniards to speak English, or Chinese to speak English (very lucrative apparently).

Take a look at https://www.italki.com/home

You can teach (or learn) any language, with students all over the world.  It's quite possible to make good money if you know what you are doing.

(fyi I would rather have fire ants on my cock than be an English teacher)