Retired paraplegic Brit: "I am like a prisoner in my own home"

webfact

10 minutes ago, faraday said:

Used to have a Jack Russell many years ago.

They're affectionate, obedient & protective. They fight very fiercely.

Perhaps a short haired dog might be more manageable?

Yet 1 kick and they are gone.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jvs said:

If you tie up a dog at night he will not be able to do much good,he should be in the house with you.

Well i agree with you up to a point, i am nt happy tethering a dog at night, but with many dogs being poisoned in this village, it would not be wise to allow a dog to roam free.

Also the spot for the dog is only 2 meters from our bedroom door.

Think about the movement around your home in the night Colin, I'm guessing you may be a light sleeper, if there is a lot of night time activity, even such as other dogs roaming, you could well be woken up with your dog barking where there is no real danger and spend many restless nights looking at your security monitor

Just a thought

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Think about the movement around your home in the night Colin, I'm guessing you may be a light sleeper, if there is a lot of night time activity, even such as other dogs roaming, you could well be woken up with your dog barking where there is no real danger and spend many restless nights looking at your security monitor

Just a thought

Good point mate, yes i am a very light sleeper, spending sleepless nights well, i am awake every 2 hours every night.

I cannot sleep on my back, to much steelwork in there, so i have to sleep on my side,.

Now due to having no feeling, i have to turn approx every 2 hours, not had a full nights sleep now since early october 2013.

Now before anybody says why do you have to do that, when i was first home from hospital i didnt do that, result was more bedsores, so i soon learned to listen to what the doctors told me, which was turn every 2 hours.

25 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Just a thought

Buy a fake large dog to stick in window and put security cameras outside.

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Our home outside has full cover with cameras.

As i have already posted, after the screaming i spent all night watching the monitor.

Ya don't need a big dog that you have to keep outdoors.  We have little dogs (miniature schnauzers) and their function is to sound off, then run away.  I'd rather lose everything I own in the house than any of the doggies.  No worries about poison or neighbors abusing them since they only go outside when we're with them.

In my neighborhood in China, just about every villa, townhouse and apartment with no dog has been burglarized.  The ones with dogs?  Nope.  Even tiny dogs.

Plus, they are great company.

59 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have two Thai Chihuahuas (big beasties, the dog is over 3kg) super little dogs and great guards, they don't realise how small they are.

I suspect Colin would be looking for something with rather larger teeth.

Those who have owned a Chi will understand:-

27336520_2050058191877160_6876924577766349381_n.jpg

Mine is also a "full size" Chihuahua, a rescue from Phnom Penh, 4 kg and still going strong at age 19 years. Here he is diligently seeking to prevent the evil Cleaning Lady's escape

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

How is your tolerance level set for yappy dogs Colin? because I know mine is very low!! Bigger dogs with a booming bark might suit better than the high pitched yapping?

Guy in a wheelchair with big dogs?  They need a lot of exercise or they can be more trouble than no dog at all.  It's one thing if they're trained as service dogs ($$$$), but for companionship and alarm dogs?

Besides, you can pick a small breed that sounds pretty throaty.  Our miniature schnauzers are just the right size that the neighbors think they're dangerous at 6-10 kg.  And there are other small breeds that sound even bigger.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Guy in a wheelchair with big dogs?  They need a lot of exercise or they can be more trouble than no dog at all.  It's one thing if they're trained as service dogs ($$$$), but for companionship and alarm dogs?

Besides, you can pick a small breed that sounds pretty throaty.  Our miniature schnauzers are just the right size that the neighbors think they're dangerous at 6-10 kg.

Fair point about exercise, I suppose the lapdog can be trained not to lick it's arse, then jump on colin and lick his face, unless perhaps like some owners he would see that as a sign of affection, not infection!

Anyway I will be interested in the decision of Colin, because it will be his preference that counts in the end, so no interest in getting into a which dog is more suitable debate, just highlighting a few considerations

13 minutes ago, 473geo said:

How is your tolerance level set for yappy dogs Colin? because I know mine is very low!! Bigger dogs with a booming bark might suit better than the high pitched yapping?

A Great Dane, I had one before he died at 7 yrs, they don't get much older, gentle giants but fiercely loyal. People used to avoid walking past my house if they could even though the gate was shut, a big black 30kg lovable monster.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A Great Dane, I had one before he died at 7 yrs, they don't get much older, gentle giants but fiercely loyal. People used to avoid walking past my house if they could even though the gate was shut, a big black 30kg lovable monster.

Out of interest and to assist Colin, what was the budget to feed your great dane?

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Out of interest and to assist Colin, what was the budget to feed your great dane?

It was sometime ago now, A 3kg bag of pedigree pellets and 6 large tin cans of dog food (I mixed the meat in with the pellets) would last a week, about 500 Baht a week I think. I bought him in Angthon, cost me 30,000 Baht, there is a website, type in great dane Thailand.

37 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It was sometime ago now, A 3kg bag of pedigree pellets and 6 large tin cans of dog food (I mixed the meat in with the pellets) would last a week, about 500 Baht a week I think. I bought him in Angthon, cost me 30,000 Baht, there is a website, type in great dane Thailand.

If i had 1 of them, it would have to be with the help of a go fund me appeal first.:cheesy:?

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

If i had 1 of them, it would have to be with the help of a go fund me appeal first.:cheesy:?

Colin, set up a Go fund me appeal - I dare you.:laugh:

If you do, I'll bung you a few quid. Seriously.

I decided to stop riding motorbikes after few ALLMOST ACCIDENTS that could crash my life in a split of a second. 

one of the most amazing happaned in chinag mai. i was riding in a scenic countryside road, the road was empty , there was no traffic sign of any kind. and than...vooooshhh...i felt like something sped behind my back. i stopped to see what is was, and it was a car that allmost ran over me...the car driver also stopped, surprised to discover me. he had a stop sign but did not budder to stop. i believe that he just did not see me. this happans sometimes - car drivers just do not see motorbikes !!  i was very lucky that day...just one split second seperated between me and colin's situation...

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not to worry, Colin - a Chihuahua costs almost nothing to feed! And seriously, they are completely fearless and do not hesitate to go up against much larger dogs and people...and they usually win when they do. There was a case in Canada a few years back where a Chihuahua saved a girl being attacked by a pit bull. And then this one in the US:

And this:

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/chihuahua-takes-bite-out-of-crime-chomping-would-be-burglar/1065145655

And this:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Loyal-Chihuahua-Fends-Off-Robber-Who-Attacks-Owner-441758383.html

They may be small but (1) they don't know it or act it and (2) when they come at you teeth bared and snarling, they're  scary. They will sink those teeth right into an intruder's ankle, down to the bone, and they will not let go.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:18 AM, colinneil said:

The reason she said that is money.

As i have posted many times, my wife has never asked me for money, her family just the opposite, they were always wanting Colin pay for this pay for that, i always said no.

As i told my wife, i married you not them.

When i came home from hospital, family told my wife, we will help, but you pay us.

Well now that there has been pages of discussion on dogs yea or nay and what type and how much the food will cost, maybe it would be better for the guy to take all the money he has saved by always saying NO! every time the family asked for help, suck it up,  and set up a little fund for them to help out with the state-of-affairs as of now.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Well now that there has been pages of discussion on dogs yea or nay and what type and how much the food will cost, maybe it would be better for the guy to take all the money he has saved by always saying NO! every time the family asked for help, suck it up,  and set up a little fund for them to help out with the state-of-affairs as of now.

Crazy comment, but only what can be expected from people not aware of my situation.

Why should i give money to people who have salaries bigger than my pension?

My wife has 3 sisters, and 1 brother in law, all 4 of them are government employees with good salaries.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Crazy comment, but only what can be expected from people not aware of my situation.

Why should i give money to people who have salaries bigger than my pension?

My wife has 3 sisters, and 1 brother in law, all 4 of them are government employees with good salaries.

Because you're the one who needs help.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You say i need help, help with what?

Only help i need is help bringing a once quiet village back to what it was before .

I think you probably know that that is never going to happen. Once an area declines the only way is further down.

While moving village is not an option for you, it would probably only end up with you in the same situation as you are now.

And all this going on while the Thai government wants to relax the laws on cannabis and kratom !

Just now, NetJunkie said:

Why? Does everyone have to agree with Colin, is a little debate not allowed?

Well i am more than happy for debate from anybody, if they are debating, not posting totally incorrect information.

Archived