Which watch brands are sought-after in Thailand?

Santogold

30 minutes ago, smccolley said:

The Rado Ceramic is an amazing watch that will turn heads in any country. Sort of my dream watch. I currently use a Citizen for every day, a Le Coultre for special occasions (out of the 160k baht price range though) and a 150 year old Hamilton pocket watch.

Rado Ceramica R21715152 Men's Watch

The only one known to those the OP wants to impress in Thailand (Pats) is the Citizen ?

24 minutes ago, bermannor said:

"Brand consciousness" is the magic word which counts in Thailand and the whole of Asia. What you have and not how you are is relevant, of course with some exceptions.

Aside from Rolex, which brands do you suggest? I'm interested in brands that are recognized by Thai people. Specifically Middle to Upper Class Thais (but not talking about legit Hi-So's).

21 minutes ago, Santogold said:

Aside from Rolex, which brands do you suggest? I'm interested in brands that are recognized by Thai people. Specifically Middle to Upper Class Thais (but not talking about legit Hi-So's).

1. Spend heaps.

2. Keep the price tag attached.

3. Impress.

6 hours ago, Santogold said:

Aside from Rolex, which brands do you suggest? I'm interested in brands that are recognized by Thai people. Specifically Middle to Upper Class Thais (but notlot of Thais like Tag Heuer talking about legit Hi-So's).

I can only give my personal preference and experience when bought 3 watches for a longtime friend and her twin daughters at university.

Ok, I bought in Europe.

1. First of all, you must like the watch

2. Do you like gold, the price tag goes quickly up butgive you not more quality. I'm not sure if a lot Thais like gold watches

3. Buy a Swiss watch, e.g. Victorinox, Wenger(cheaper). Both have a nice Swiss log which most Thais know. They are in lower price range. Tag Heuer is also well known and popular but plenty fakes in Thailand.

4. Son of a Thai friend stayed for half a year in  Germany. He bought a German watch, I think a Junkers or Zeppelin, but only because he liked it.

Both are good watches with Swiss movements

5. Buy your watch in Europe if possible. Alternativle in Emporium or Paragon. You have to mention it when somebody admures your watch because of so many fakes in Thailand of famous brands.

6. When buy in Thailand buy at a certified concessionaire

7. A higher price tag are Omegas, but also well known

8. A notch higher is Bruno Söhnle, also German

For German watches as mentioned, check Aphico trading in Bangkok.

They have a showroom and website under the label time corner ( I think Getaway Ekamai)

8. Check the Hour Glass Stores at Siam Paragon, Gaysorn or EmQuartier. They also have Nomos, Junghans or Sinn (very special). For sure watch experts will realize immediately but not the ordinary Lek or Kla.

9. Final: I would go for a quarzt watch despite the fact that everybody can see the difference to manual and automatic watches ( of course not the carabao).

I would go for 2 different ones, a robust one, Rolex type, 100m water tight (more not necessary) and a flatter one, more  the dress watch style for white shirts and more official functions (leather band) but also 100 m water tight. So always the round type. Remember: as thinner a quartz watch as more expensive.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bye the way, the ultimative wrist watch for me is

Patek Philippe Ellipse d'Or, of course in platin, Reference 5738P-001

But only in my next life ?

Well buy one of those expensive for Thai people special edition Thai automatics.

there is one with Thai numerals...limited edition....and one  commerating King Rama 9......there is also a limited edition one with Thai flag colors that they are crazy on.....Thailand is seikos biggest market after japan.

seiko make special editions for Thailand.....there are numerous seiko mania Facebook pages and seiko clubs.......I have seen the Thai numeral watch worn by many middle class Thais...numerous seiko clubs in Thailand.

you can still buy the Thai flag limited edition if you look around ,

theres a seiko mania Thai seiko Facebook page where it sometimes pops up.

the yellow faced King Rama watch I have never seen for sale and that would be the holy grail for Thai people....get one of those and they will wai you when they see what you have on your wrist....my Bangkok bank manager has one with the Thai numerals.

means nothing to westerners but impresses the Thai mightily....

That yellow one would sure impress them.....big time....

CC7B9A21-7F79-4C4B-8B71-8DA19AA3A35B.jpeg

81444330-B267-4979-8CBC-27F1AF627B03.jpeg

7 hours ago, Santogold said:

Why?

Most people don't care.

There are lots of Swiss watches under $2000 which are very good watches with Swiss Made written on the face.

8 hours ago, bermannor said:

"Brand consciousness" is the magic word which counts in Thailand and the whole of Asia. What you have and not how you are is relevant, of course with some exceptions.

Not really. It's a female thing to obsess over brands. Western women fuss over big brands.

4 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Not really. It's a female thing to obsess over brands. Western women fuss over big brands.

Obviously you do not belong to the working class, level middle and upper management.

Seems you have no idea how many Thais want (need) a Mont Blanc ball pen , a real not a fake!

14 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Why?

Most people don't care.

There are lots of Swiss watches under $2000 which are very good watches with Swiss Made written on the face.

Basically all have SWISS or Swiss Made on its dial!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Obviously you do not belong to the working class, level middle and upper management.

Seems you have no idea how many Thais want (need) a Mont Blanc ball pen , a real not a fake!

Nonsense.

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Watch quality isn't based on names and words.

Of course it is, the names of the movements. Quality has nothing to do with words, that's advertisment and promotion. But the majority of people fall for it.

If you can find them check out alpina or Hamilton for not too expensive but good quality watches. You will get a good omega or tag for that price but service of omega is between 22-28000 bht . Can get used but in mint condition with box and papers in few places in bkk for about 100k for decent makes. I bought a tag grand carrera for 110k that was three year old and looks like new and you can get a panerai used for around 140-170 k . Lower floor in Siam paragon is full of watch dealers and brand watch shops.

The ultimate impression *but not with girls!): How would suit you a Mont Blanc watch?

Montblanc is among the 20 biggest watchmakers worldwide. This watch, together with a set of Mont Blanc pens, will certainly impress in business circles. Don't listen to those who regard Mont Banc pens as uncool because they have nothing important to initial or sign. They also need no valuable wrist watch because the Isaan roosters announce the time ?.

• 2 weeks later...

anything original you will put on will be considered a fake unless you are known to be a wealthy man

I would go for less expansive brands where copies are not so prevailed,

Brands such as Tissot. Fairly well priced back in the West, grossly overpriced in Thailand.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BestB said:

anything original you will put on will be considered a fake unless you are known to be a wealthy man

I would go for less expansive brands where copies are not so prevailed,

Brands such as Tissot. Fairly well priced back in the West, grossly overpriced in Thailand.

Very true

Most people who are not enthusiastic about watches would not be able to tell the difference 

On 6/13/2018 at 8:23 PM, bermannor said:

Only "were"? You should always be. Be a role model to Thais. ???

Years ago, I studied Thai time and the language in an idle way.  Today, tomorrow, day after tomorrow, day after the day after tomorrow. Some day, maybe never. What a joke.  The Isaan/Lao terms were even more vague.  555.

As for "were/was", I stand corrected.  My son is a Marine.  Died in combat, came back in a regulation box and was buried by Marines in a national cemetery.  Thereafter, time stopped.