Which watch brands are sought-after in Thailand?

Santogold

Hey hey, 

I'm interested in buying a watch and would like to hear your ideas. No, this is not a troll post in case anyone is wondering.

Which brands are sought-after in Thailand, and meet the following criteria:

• Price range: 32,000 - 160,000 baht
  • Good for small/thin wrists
  • Classy styling
  • Good for business or business casual wear (so no G shocks, etc)
  • A brand that is recognizable to Thais as something that is valuable

Obviously Rolex is known the world-over, but they are too bulky for my wrists. So, what brands do you suggest I look at?

I got two cheap (compared to Thailand prices) Seikos sent to me from these guys. They always have special offers going. Never had to pay any duty either, but that may have been down to pure luck.

http://www.creationwatches.com/

I think you are talking about a 'status' watch so forget the Seiko and casio recommendations and go for Longines, Patek Philippe or Breitling. I personally like Tag Heuer as I too have slim wrists and they aren't too bulky. I often get complimented by Thai's who definitely recognise the brand and know it's expensive (although it wasn't too expensive at about 80k THB)

17 hours ago, Santogold said:

I'm interested in buying a watch and would like to hear your ideas. No, this is not a troll post in case anyone is wondering.

I have a solid gold Eterna quartz mens dress watch (pic attached) that keeps perfect time and have been trying to find the model name.

There is a serial number on the back: 122615562 S and a number on the guarantee card: 729411862, but I have been unable to get info on it as I want to sell it.

Anyone on here know how to find out...……..have sent emails to Eterna but they just put me on to their sellers/agents and I never get a response. Perhaps someone has a similar model??

IMG_2243.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I have a solid gold Eterna quartz mens dress watch (pic attached) that keeps perfect time and have been trying to find the model name.

There is a serial number on the back: 122615562 S and a number on the guarantee card: 729411862, but I have been unable to get info on it as I want to sell it.

Anyone on here know how to find out...……..have sent emails to Eterna but they just put me on to their sellers/agents and I never get a response. Perhaps someone has a similar model??

IMG_2243.jpg

Eterna watches are ok. The Super Contiki watch looks good. Your model looks very basic but solid gold adds value.

It looks different to all the new ones Ive seen.

4 hours ago, namatjira said:

Have a look at seiko, and buy it online from lazada....

hugely respected brand....and the most choice in styles and sizes.

some of these automatic watch’s can last 20 years without a service.

and the top end ones are just that, comparable to the best of the Swiss.

Automatics need servicing every 4-5 years depending on condition, wait 20 years and it would be beyond repaid and certainly would no longer be water resistant either. Services aren’t cheap either, AUD$750 for my Seamaster at Omegabut cheaper at a reputable watchmaker with no Omega connections.

20 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Eterna watches are ok. The Super Contiki watch looks good. Your model looks very basic but solid gold adds value.

It looks different to all the new ones Ive seen.

Thanks, Eterna supposedly founded in the mid 1800s, and this model was bought in 1982 (vintage??) and is super slim.

Perfect timekeeper but maybe not robust enough (as it is a dress watch) for driving around on a scooter or attracting the attention of ruffians here!

May put it on e-bay or similar.

Timex used to be in great demand ... they found Donald Campbell's arm and it was still ticking ... ?  and they are available from Ali Express

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, cat handler said:

Automatics need servicing every 4-5 years depending on condition, wait 20 years and it would be beyond repaid and certainly would no longer be water resistant either. Services aren’t cheap either, AUD$750 for my Seamaster at Omegabut cheaper at a reputable watchmaker with no Omega connections.

Yep. I bought a solar Seiko. 

1 hour ago, cat handler said:

Servicing an omega is expensive, mostly because of the omega parts required........with the seikos, the movements are simple, but legendary.

there are many instances if one looks on you tube of these things running for years and years with no service....their SKX divers watch is one example, it’s an icon and most watch collectors know the model well. The worlds best “ beater “ they say.....seiko also make more quality movements to satisfy connoisseurs of the game....their grand seikos are right up there with hi beat movements....seriously look at what they have to offer....it’s an exceptional range....110 years of horological firsts and history, seiko are one of the best brands in the world for watch’s.

they have a different philosophy to the Geneva crowd who target the brand conscious big spenders who buy for their own prestige.

nobody is going to roll you for your seiko, but they can spot a roller a mile away......the seikos would prove to be more reliable, just as well built and far greater value than most brands....

Have a look at this regarding the grand seiko compared to Rolex...

please read the comments......these watch’s are on the way up.

thats where the smart money is going........

310,104 viewers .....it’s popular.....

I have owned omegas and Rolex watch’s, my seikos give me far greater pleasure....my favorite is the SKX 007 dive watch I have had for many years......cost about 150 dollars back in the day....reckon a steamroller over the top of it would do no damage....loses about 3 minutes a week....no big deal.

brilliant watch , why spend thousands.....check the reviews that all say the same...one of the most iconic watch’s in the world...the old SKX 007.

• Like 2