Which watch brands are sought-after in Thailand?

Santogold

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks, Eterna supposedly founded in the mid 1800s, and this model was bought in 1982 (vintage??) and is super slim.

Perfect timekeeper but maybe not robust enough (as it is a dress watch) for driving around on a scooter or attracting the attention of ruffians here!

May put it on e-bay or similar.

It looks too old and cheap to steal so I doubt the "ruffians" would even ask you for it if they were mugging you..... ?

• Haha 2

Am I correct in thinking this is about the bling of a watch and not the timekeeping ability? There's more accuracy in a 2000 baht mobile phone clock than there will ever be in any mechanical device.

I think the OP wants watch to impress people not tell them the time. The watch could probably be broken as long as it looks good. I honestly can't see how a watch can make someone attractive unless it was part of the whole package. Wearing a t shirt, shorts and thongs with a Tissot/Seiko/Rolex wouldn't attract the attention of many people I imagine. Dressing up a-la-a James Bond style and it might add some benefit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Am I correct in thinking this is about the bling of a watch and not the timekeeping ability? There's more accuracy in a 2000 baht mobile phone clock than there will ever be in any mechanical device.

I think the OP wants watch to impress people not tell them the time. The watch could probably be broken as long as it looks good. I honestly can't see how a watch can make someone attractive unless it was part of the whole package. Wearing a t shirt, shorts and thongs with a Tissot/Seiko/Rolex wouldn't attract the attention of many people I imagine. Dressing up a-la-a James Bond style and it might add some benefit.

Well if it’s about bling the op may as well buy one of those better quality Rolex copies that they produce these days....some of them are good

copies..........however, a watch is a nice thing to own, unlike the baht 2000 baht phone, that requires constant charging and has a short life, and who wants to keep pulling a phone out of ones pockets everytime you need to tell the time ?

a seiko brand new automatic for a little over 2000 baht will keep accurate time...for many many years.....a mechanical watch is a joy to own........and a half decent watch is an investment that can be handed down for generations...the growth of the watch market and its investment potential is huge......in case you haven’t been looking Sotheby’s and Christie’s both have vintage watch stand alone auctions these days.......Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona just sold for 17.5 million American dollars....stock old models can make about 100,000 dollars.

i sold one of these in 2001 for 12,000 fool me.....never mind, even old seikos have become collectible and can fetch thousands at watch auctions , well above their modest purchase prices.

a good watch is a joy to own.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, namatjira said:

Servicing an omega is expensive, mostly because of the omega parts required........with the seikos, the movements are simple, but legendary.

there are many instances if one looks on you tube of these things running for years and years with no service....their SKX divers watch is one example, it’s an icon and most watch collectors know the model well. The worlds best “ beater “ they say.....seiko also make more quality movements to satisfy connoisseurs of the game....their grand seikos are right up there with hi beat movements....seriously look at what they have to offer....it’s an exceptional range....110 years of horological firsts and history, seiko are one of the best brands in the world for watch’s.

they have a different philosophy to the Geneva crowd who target the brand conscious big spenders who buy for their own prestige.

nobody is going to roll you for your seiko, but they can spot a roller a mile away......the seikos would prove to be more reliable, just as well built and far greater value than most brands....

There are no parts required when servicing a Automatic Watch, apart from O-Rings and seals, the watchmaker disassembles the movement and cleans it, reassembles and applies oil and replaces rubber O-rings. Seiko is a low end watch, they make good Quartz watches which is their speciality but I wouldn’t bother getting an Automatic Seiko. Seiko watches are the higher end of the Pulsar, Casio etc. range, all made by the same company. They also won’t  run for years and years without servicing, rubber seals don’t last years and years and the oil used to lubricate the movement loses its effectiveness. Sure you can wait 20 years between services, you can do that with any automatic but that’s like driving 100,000km in a car between services, not a smart idea.

How many watch complications do want (need)? That's a factor to impress somebody, mainly ladies. Because you can spend hours to explain them when you are short of conversation topics.

Or, you look for a watch where identical lady's watches are available, so you can make a nice present. ???

I bought a Seiko solar dive watch for sports. Looks good and time is more accurate than auto. Screw down crown, great lume for night. Auto watches are pretentious and high maintenance.

Otherwise Victorinox quartz watches are rugged and look good.

Really only shallow people are impressed by expensive brand names. 

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I bought a Seiko solar dive watch for sports. Looks good and time is more accurate than auto. Screw down crown, great lume for night. Auto watches are pretentious and high maintenance.

Otherwise Victorinox quartz watches are rugged and look good.

Really only shallow people are impressed by expensive brand names. 

So, why are these brands so thought after? ???

5 minutes ago, bermannor said:

They aren't. The average person doesn't own an Omega or Rolex nor care.

The inflated prices appeal to pretentious people. The women buy $5000 handbags and the men $10,000 watches.

11 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Being an adventurer and fighter pilot, I want to know precisely when it's time to touch down for lunch.  If you aren't early, you're late.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

...The women buy $5000 handbags and the men $10,000 watches....

Back in 1977, I got a BJ and a lay in BKK for 90 Baht in a hotel down by a government ministry.  Exchange rate sucked then, it was like $4.50 USD.  It was a good deal, don't get me wrong. I didn't care what time it was as long as it wasn't prime time.

12 minutes ago, Justfine said:

They aren't. The average person doesn't own an Omega or Rolex nor care.

The inflated prices appeal to pretentious people. The women buy $5000 handbags and the men $10,000 watches.

You didn't read the OP's post obviously. He wants a watch yo impress.

10 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

It looks too old and cheap to steal so I doubt the "ruffians" would even ask you for it if they were mugging you..... ?

Solid gold so might appeal to a mugger...…...and certainly not cheap, but then some people will comment even when they know FA. ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, namatjira said:

Have a look at this regarding the grand seiko compared to Rolex...

please read the comments......these watch’s are on the way up.

thats where the smart money is going........

310,104 viewers .....it’s popular.....

I have owned omegas and Rolex watch’s, my seikos give me far greater pleasure....my favorite is the SKX 007 dive watch I have had for many years......cost about 150 dollars back in the day....reckon a steamroller over the top of it would do no damage....loses about 3 minutes a week....no big deal.

brilliant watch , why spend thousands.....check the reviews that all say the same...one of the most iconic watch’s in the world...the old SKX 007.

Great video, really interesting, thanx for sharing. Always liked Seikos.

The anology could also be put to the Japanese vs European motorcycle market and manufacturers.

From an Oris auto owner...

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Santogold said:

Good for small/thin wrists

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Santogold said:

Obviously Rolex is known the world-over, but they are too bulky for my wrists. So, what brands do you suggest I look at?

Personally I could never stand the big bulky watches and IMO they look clunky when hanging off peoples wrists, hence why I have never bought one. But did just buy an Omega Deville and it is slim, classy looking (has an 18k 'symbol' face) and fits a small wrist...……...they make them in various sizes, so perhaps worth looking at in your case?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cat handler said:

There are no parts required when servicing a Automatic Watch, apart from O-Rings and seals, the watchmaker disassembles the movement and cleans it, reassembles and applies oil and replaces rubber O-rings. Seiko is a low end watch, they make good Quartz watches which is their speciality but I wouldn’t bother getting an Automatic Seiko. Seiko watches are the higher end of the Pulsar, Casio etc. range, all made by the same company. They also won’t  run for years and years without servicing, rubber seals don’t last years and years and the oil used to lubricate the movement loses its effectiveness. Sure you can wait 20 years between services, you can do that with any automatic but that’s like driving 100,000km in a car between services, not a smart idea.

My Oris auto has a  recommended service interval of 3 years.

I bought it new in 2000.

I had it serviced in 2007.

It is a bit overdue for the next one.

Worn daily. Loses about 4-5 minutes a week. Still 100% waterproof.

I have a friend in the UK who is a Swiss trained watchmaker, runs a watch shop for high end S/H watches with about 5 employees. He reckons on 5 year service intervals for most wind ups or autos. Charged me 50 quid for my Oris service in 07 inc waterproof pressure test.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

My Oris auto has a  recommended service interval of 3 years.

I bought it new in 2000.

I had it serviced in 2007.

It is a bit overdue for the next one.

Worn daily. Loses about 4-5 minutes a week. Still 100% waterproof.

I have a friend in the UK who is a Swiss trained watchmaker, runs a watch shop for high end S/H watches with about 5 employees. He reckons on 5 year service intervals for most wind ups or autos. Charged me 50 quid for my Oris service in 07 inc waterproof pressure test.

20 mins a month is a problem. That's 2 large beers.

• Haha 1

I'll never be able to show my face at my local Friday market again (especially around the fish sauce vendor dude, and crunchy cricket vendor lady).  I've been wearing my Timex... I'm sure they noticed.  ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bermannor said:

You didn't read the OP's post obviously. He wants a watch yo impress.

Thai girls he wants to impress wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 500thb "rolex" from mbk and a limited edition patek that's decades old and worth Hundreds of k

They might actually pick the cheap one if it looks "shinier" 

A nice expensive car or motorcycle will likely be a better choice to impress the gold diggers since its harder to fake a BMW or a Harley Davidson 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, Bob12345 said:

Rolex has 36mm models for men (datejust/daydate/explorer1) which should fit a smaller wrist just well.

Awesome, thank you. I'll look for the 36mm models.

22 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think you are talking about a 'status' watch so forget the Seiko and casio recommendations and go for Longines, Patek Philippe or Breitling. I personally like Tag Heuer as I too have slim wrists and they aren't too bulky. I often get complimented by Thai's who definitely recognise the brand and know it's expensive (although it wasn't too expensive at about 80k THB)

Yes, a "status" watch is what I'm interested in. Thank you, I'll look at those brands, exactly what I wanted to know.

17 hours ago, tryasimight said:

About the status mostly, not about the bling. Definitely needs to be good quality as well.

80% status symbol

19% completes an outfit

1% to tell time (easier looking at my wrist than pulling out my cellphone)

And no worries. I don't dress in t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops.

4 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Thai girls he wants to impress wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 500thb "rolex" from mbk and a limited edition patek that's decades old and worth Hundreds of k

They might actually pick the cheap one if it looks "shinier" 

A nice expensive car or motorcycle will likely be a better choice to impress the gold diggers since its harder to fake a BMW or a Harley Davidson 

They don't know Pateks but Gucci and Prada ?. Take the manufacturer's plate of your car, they wouldn't know either but will go go for the colour.

Just buy a novelty watch, Thai style. It runs backwards and is within the Loss of only 10 seconds a month.

Watch most people try to figure out this time of 25 minutes to 9 pm.

I also wear very high end Rolexes, Graham, Breitlung and Patek Philippe.

My favourite watches are Rolex, as they can take quite a beating and my Graham Military watches.

The best watch for you, is the one you always wear.

20180614_210019.jpg

The Rado Ceramic is an amazing watch that will turn heads in any country. Sort of my dream watch. I currently use a Citizen for every day, a Le Coultre for special occasions (out of the 160k baht price range though) and a 150 year old Hamilton pocket watch.

Rado Ceramica R21715152 Men's Watch