Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels

webfact

On 6/29/2018 at 12:13 PM, bristolboy said:

I know that there are plenty of ongoing projects. But none of them are yet feasible on a large scale. What is interesting though is how selective you can be. It's been repeatedly pointed out how extraordinary progress has been made in bringing down the cost of renewable energy. It is now a very fast growing economically advantageous way to generate electricity. Yet you consistently ignore these technologies that actually make economic sense while touting something that is still in the early stages of development and a long way off from financial feasibility. Why is that?

How can destroying the planet make economic sense?

On 6/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If the "climate alarmers" are correct, mankind is doomed long before they could make a viable satellite sanctuary.

For better or worse, man's future is going to be settled on the planet, IMO.

I  disagree,  a lot can be done in say,.. well let's  give a liberal amount of time,  50 years and not even the worst of the worse case scenarios  have  us ALL drowning or starving  in 50 years- just the poorest. 

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

How can destroying the planet make economic sense?

My theory is it's already too late,   the methane  at the poles is releasing, so they are scrambling to milk the gaz trillions needed to make satellite sanctuaries. My theory involves  oxygen depletion, too. 

17 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

I  disagree,  a lot can be done in say,.. well let's  give a liberal amount of time,  50 years and not even the worst of the worse case scenarios  have  us ALL drowning or starving  in 50 years- just the poorest. 

50 years, LOL.

The climate alarmers are claiming we are in imminent danger of extinction. 

BTW, the planet is in no danger, just humans and other species. The planet will carry on, but with different occupants.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

50 years, LOL.

The climate alarmers are claiming we are in imminent danger of extinction. 

BTW, the planet is in no danger, just humans and other species. The planet will carry on, but with different occupants.

Thanks for the childish use of semantics. And of course as usual. you've got it wrong. No one with any relevant scientific credentials is claiming that humans are in danger of extinction because of ACC. There is an ongoing mass extinction of plants and animals because of ACC  but humans will survive. There will just be less of them and living conditions will be wretched for a lot more people.

Edited by bristolboy

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

There is an ongoing mass extinction of plants and animals because of ACC 

No, the extinction of plants and animals has been caused by humans. The most worrisome is the possible extinction of ocean species because of our pollution and overfishing.

BTW, the living conditions of many people are already wretched, and nothing to do with C C. 

Edited by thaibeachlovers

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, the extinction of plants and animals has been caused by humans. The most worrisome is the possible extinction of ocean species because of our pollution and overfishing.

BTW, the living conditions of many people are already wretched, and nothing to do with C C. 

Well first of all, ACC is caused by humans. But you're right, it's not the only cause.

And because lots of people are already living in wretched conditions has exactly what to do with the wretched conditions being created by ACC. There are and will be lots more thanks to ACC.

And as for the ocean. No, you're wrong. The biggest contributor to the disappearing of coral reefs is warming ocean waters. And arctic species are already under threat because of ocean warming. In shallow arctic seas native species are being displaced by species from warmer waters already.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, bristolboy said:

Well first of all, ACC is caused by humans. But you're right, it's not the only cause.

And because lots of people are already living in wretched conditions has exactly what to do with the wretched conditions being created by ACC. There are and will be lots more thanks to ACC.

And as for the ocean. No, you're wrong. The biggest contributor to the disappearing of coral reefs is warming ocean waters. And arctic species are already under threat because of ocean warming. In shallow arctic seas native species are being displaced by species from warmer waters already.

I wasn't referring to coral. I was referring to overfishing and pollution, mainly by plastic, which are both nothing to do with the temperature.

The biggest threat to the Barrier reef in Australia is farming run off and shipping activities, as I understand it.

Wretched living conditions is, IMO, more to do with overpopulation than anything else, and that's definitely down to people, not temperature..

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't referring to coral. I was referring to overfishing and pollution, mainly by plastic, which are both nothing to do with the temperature.

The biggest threat to the Barrier reef in Australia is farming run off and shipping activities, as I understand it.

It's possible for there to be more than one threat at a time.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

It's possible for there to be more than one threat at a time.

I'm not disputing that, but IMO human activities cause more destruction than rising temperatures. Humans have proven to be very poor stewards of the planet, engaged in many activities that cause destruction of the environment.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not disputing that, but IMO human activities cause more destruction than rising temperatures. Humans have proven to be very poor stewards of the planet, engaged in many activities that cause destruction of the environment.

According to the GBRMPA in 2014, the most significant threat to the status of the Great Barrier Reef is climate change, due to the consequential rise of sea temperatures, gradual ocean acidification and an increase in the number of "intense weather events".[9] Furthermore, a temperature rise of between two and three degrees Celsius would result in 97% of the Great Barrier Reef being bleached every year...[52]

Reef scientist Terry Done has predicted that a one-degree rise in global temperature would result in 82% of the reef bleached—two degrees would result in 97%, while three degrees would result in "total devastation".[53

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_threats_to_the_Great_Barrier_Reef

To get back to the topic, the Antarctic ice melt has now been  seen to be, at least in part, caused by volcanism. A study recently published in Nature Communications discusses this.

https://nature.com/articles/s41467-018-04421-3#Abs1

The temperature rise in the oceans can also be partly caused by this. It has to be remembered that there may be as many as 10,000 volcanoes under the oceans and an estimated 20% of these are active.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

To get back to the topic, the Antarctic ice melt has now been  seen to be, at least in part, caused by volcanism. A study recently published in Nature Communications discusses this.

The temperature rise in the oceans can also be partly caused by this. It has to be remembered that there may be as many as 10,000 volcanoes under the oceans and an estimated 20% of these are active.

It depends on what you mean by the Antarctic ice melt. If you mean that there has always been some melting of Antarctic ice due to volcanism, that's one thing. But if you're maintaining that the increase in ice melt is due to volcanism, that's quite another. In fact the paper repeatedly states that areas where the icemelt is strongest don't show elevated isotopoc helium levels.

And are there more active volcanoes now heating the ocean than there were 100 years ago? Seems dubious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

I forgot to thank you for providing the link to a fascinating piece of research. Thanks.

• Like 1