Understanding the process of changing from Tourist to ED visa

Hi,

I need some help understanding the process of changing my visa from a tourist visa to an ed visa. I have been told by the university where i will study that i can do the changing of status process in Bangkok and do not need to leave the country, As long as I have 15/16 days left on my tourist visa. This has led me to two questions-

Am I able to do this on an extension of the tourist visa (e.g 60 day tourist visa but with 30 days extension) ?

What is the process required to do this at immigration-Is it generally easier to go somewhere like Singapore and change instead?

Why do they say you need 15/16 days to do the change-Is this because you have to leave your passport with them for this duration and that is how long it takes to process?

Thanks in advance-it seems quite hard to find information on this

You can apply for the change of visa status up to the last 15 day of your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it.

Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_74

It is certainly easier than having to make a trip outside the country.

The 15 days is needed for the application to be approved by a higher ranking immigration officer. After doing the application you will be given your passport back and then in about 2 weeds you go back to get the visa and a new 90 day entry stamp done in your passport. The visa and entry stamp will be backdated to the date your applied for the extension.