US Passport renewal when?

I need to renew my US passport which expires in August. New rules state that after 1 July all renewed passports will be mailed rather than available for pickup at the embassy. How early can I process my application? I know that the embassy provides a letter to take to immigration to allow me to have my visa stamps transferred but if I get me new passport after my visa expiration is that a problem?

Basically I am asking if I can apply for a renewal one month in advance.

Thanks in advance!

I need to renew my US passport which expires in August. New rules state that after 1 July all renewed passports will be mailed rather than available for pickup at the embassy. How early can I process my application? I know that the embassy provides a letter to take to immigration to allow me to have my visa stamps transferred but if I get me new passport after my visa expiration is that a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Always do mine 6 months before it expires.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Last month I renewed my US passport. It still had 10 months remaining. Renewed early because I didn't want to change time of year the I did retirement extension.

I filled out the form on line and printed it out. Sent to Embassy along with current passport, pictures, bank check, etc. 

Received the new passport in two weeks.

9 hours ago, whynotme said:

You can do it as early as you want to. There is no maximum time that you can do it.

I suggest you do it now.

When does your current permit to stay from a visa entry or a extension of stay end?

If on an extension of stay if you will have a 90 day report due I would time the renewal either before or after you expect to have your passport back. You would not be able to do the report with your old passport since it will be canceled under the new procedures when you apply for the new one.