Hat Yai IMM O Horrendous

I have a single entry non o visa based on marriage and entered BKK on the 12 April and exit date is 10 July but my outbound flight is 22 July. My plan was to get an extension of stay on my non o visa and paid GBP 52 to the British Embassy for income affidavit letter showing I was well over the 40,000 required per month. Took all documentation and more to Hat Yai IO today and could not believe the BS they were telling my wife and me. The IO and a senior IO  stated they required an updated marriage certificate from the amphur, we fought this and asked them to show in the government rules that state this requirement. Secondly they stated I needed to have a Thai bank account with 400,000 as I think the woman officer was getting herself confused with requirements for a retirement visa which I dont want. Then in the discussion they asked my wife for full details of her bank account details..... well this got her fired up and she quickly shot them down on this one. We then waited outside while they discussed my case and they called us in again, the requirement for a  updated marriage certificate was no longer mentioned as was my wifes bank holdings. The IO meticulously went through my pay slip and I politely pointed out that my salary was well over the 40,000 requirement even after deductions, I could see she was a penpusher with little true knowledge of the requirements. To end they said the option was they would submit my visa extension of stay and give an extension for 30 days until the 9 August but on that date I needed to come back to Thailand to start the extension of stay... to be honest this last part I was having difficulty understanding as I had lost all patience with them and the situation. I said I was unable to return on the 9 August and they  said my best option was go to Malaysia for a couple of days return with a tourist on arrival giving me cover until I exit on the 22 July. I had no trust in what they they were  telling me and knew they were wrong on a number of things, have other had problems with Hat Yai IO I also had problems last year with them. So i wasted money on the affidavit letter and now need to go to Malaysia, so any advice for when I apply next year for an extension of stay or shall I do it in Vietnam.

They were perfectly correct.

You are given 30 days under consideration while your application is sent to head office.

You then go back in 30 days and get the extension stamp.

Standard procedure at every office in the country.

They were probably asking for an updated Kor Ror 2 document from the amphur. Again standard procedure.

Your Wife's bank account has nothing to do with your application though.

Why did you not apply for a 60 day extension?

No bank or Embassy letter needed.

Edited by Phuket Man

Yes I know that but 30 days from todays application is not 9 August as they told me.... question is my visa expires on the 10 July I applied today just under  30 days and thought this would be acceptable.... in most cases I here extension of stays are mostly granted

Edited by Karlo

What they wanted was a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from any Amphoe. It would take few minutes and cost 20 baht.

What they were going to give you was a under consideration stamp with a report back date on it 30 days from the date you applied for the extension. Then on or before that date you would get the one year extension stamp.

You could of asked for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to give yourself more time.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What they wanted was a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from any Amphoe. It would take few minutes and cost 20 baht.

What they were going to give you was a under consideration stamp with a report back date on it 30 days from the date you applied for the extension. Then on or before that date you would get the one year extension stamp.

You could of asked for a 60 day extension to visit your your wife to give yourself more time.

You could of asked for a 60 day extension to visit your give yourself more time..... i asked for this but they said i was not able to apply for this on my non o visa. There is no mention in the rules about requiring an  updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry... is this now a normal requirement

14 minutes ago, Karlo said:

You could of asked for a 60 day extension to visit your give yourself more time..... i asked for this but they said i was not able to apply for this on my non o visa.

They were incorrect when they said that. It can be applied for with any type of entry.

14 minutes ago, Karlo said:

There is no mention in the rules about requiring an  updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry... is this now a normal requirement

Been normal for a long time now. 

Visit Wife for 60 day ext. is the way to go 

Just fill in the form 

Have your wife there

Passport  +  Copy of passport /ect 

House Blue book  + copy 

Wifes ID + copy

I think that's it + 1900 bht

10 minutes (depends on que )

• Like 1

sounds to me like you must have lost your rag a bit which is understandable. it can be tedious. you deffo need kor ror 2 for a years extension and you can extend any entry by 60 days if married to a thai for 1,900 baht without one. always keep half a mil in a thai account if you can

2 hours ago, Karlo said:

Yes I know that but 30 days from todays application is not 9 August as they told me.... question is my visa expires on the 10 July I applied today just under  30 days and thought this would be acceptable.... in most cases I here extension of stays are mostly granted

I suspect that they wanted you to report back on 9th July, if it was 9th August it would have been closer to 60 days?

Apart from wanting to see your wife's bank book and you needing 400,000 in your account, in all other respects they were correct.

The Kor Ror 2 is IMO a way for them to confirm that you are indeed still married, a lot of folks were abusing this in the past.

Nothing stopping you going back before 10th July and asking for a 60 day extension to visit your wife, then apply for the year extension 30 days prior to that expiring.

Updated marriage certificate??? 

18 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The Kor Ror 2 is IMO a way for them to confirm that you are indeed still married, a lot of folks were abusing this in the past.

Oh, I see.....

I understand the Kor Ror 2 requirement but missed seeing in other posts here on TV. I will not pursue the extension of stay as our plans have changed for next year for being in Thailand. But I will seek a 60 day extension to visit my wife,  my concern they will again to refuse to offer this. So can anyone give me a link where I can print off details that the Thai Imm Office accept this as I will need to show the IO at Hat Yai this as in my experience of them they are not well trained and lack key knowledge.

8 minutes ago, ttkeric said:

Updated marriage certificate??? 

Oh, I see.....

I could be wrong, it is just my opinion, I do know of folks that have used marriage certificates for various official reasons including immigration long after they were divorced, basically paid their ex. wife to play along.

1 minute ago, Karlo said:

I understand the Kor Ror 2 requirement but missed seeing in other posts here on TV. I will not pursue the extension of stay as our plans have changed for next year for being in Thailand. But I will seek a 60 day extension to visit my wife,  my concern they will again to refuse to offer this. So can anyone give me a link where I can print off details that the Thai Imm Office accept this as I will need to show the IO at Hat Yai this as in my experience of them they are not well trained and lack key knowledge.

you should have no problems doing a 60 extension. i don't know that place but go in polite and smiley and that should not be an issue at all

2 minutes ago, Karlo said:

So can anyone give me a link where I can print off details that the Thai Imm Office accept this as I will need to show the IO at Hat Yai this as in my experience of them they are not well trained and lack key knowledge.

Clause 2.24 of Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay or here https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karlo said:

Police Order 2008.pdf

Edited by Phuket Man

So was polite but not submissive when given false information about their requirements as I know a bad attitude gets bad results. Firm but polite is my style and anyway my wife did all of the communicating, she is polite but firm also. At the end we left the office all parties smiling with them bad mouthing us as we left.... lol. At the time we were waiting an American guy was at the counter asking advice.... my wife told me the staff were very rude and disrespectful about him talking in Thai

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Karlo said:

So was polite but not submissive when given false information about their requirements as I know a bad attitude gets bad results. Firm but polite is my style and anyway my wife did all of the communicating, she is polite but firm also. At the end we left the office all parties smiling with them bad mouthing us as we left.... lol. At the time we were waiting an American guy was at the counter asking advice.... my wife told me the staff were very rude and disrespectful about him talking in Thai

yeah they sound a bit weird mate. print off UJ's link and take that with you. you have a right to the extension