Driving from Phuket to Bangkok- an Update

Psimbo

As the other thread was closed due to a hissy fit I thought I'd do a bit of an update on the roads. Please note this is not about how I drive, speeds I travel, etc- suffice to say I do not push my luck and cruise at around 100k (no moralising thank you- I KNOW what the signs say). This is about the current road conditions NOT other forms of travel and is for those travelling to and from PHUKET by road.

Headed off today and made Surat Thani in just under 3 hours. Pleasantly surprised to see that they have started to widen the southern 25 km of the 415. They haven't started the northern bit yet but the through-way seems to be ready for when they do, with electric poles cut back, etc. It's always been a decent road even single carriageway and it took me abut 30 minutes to clear the whole approx 50km. 

Turning right onto the 401 the first 2-3km STILL hasn't been finished, although they were working on it. This little bit seems to have dragged on for years. After that it was dual carriageway all the way to Surat Thani- some bits are looking a bit tired already though and a big rainy season may see works ahead.

From ST to Prachuap Khiri Khan there were NO roadworks! Even with the weather I made it up in just under 4 hours. I encountered no roadblocks, there are radar warning signs everywhere and there was a big southbound speedcheck queue just south of Khura buri services.

Will update PKK to where I turnoff for Kanchanaburi tomorrow.

Happy to report NO major roadworks from PKK to where the road splits to Bangkok. Only saw one bump and that involved a foreigner just north of Hua Hin. Some very minor repairs going on on the southbound carriageway on the 'Hua Hin bypass'. There were other speed traps and they seemed to be pinging the racing commercial pickups which is no bad thing. 

Part of the reason I stopped in PKK was that the stretch to Pran Buri was a mess last time and took me ages. It's all done bar some line painting on the sides - lane markers are done. 

Overall it seemed to me that the majority of people wee not speeding as much as before. The cynic in me puts this down to the increased fuel costs rather than a desire to obey the speed limits!

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Happy to report NO major roadworks from PKK to where the road splits to Bangkok. Only saw one bump and that involved a foreigner just north of Hua Hin. Some very minor repairs going on on the southbound carriageway on the 'Hua Hin bypass'. There were other speed traps and they seemed to be pinging the racing commercial pickups which is no bad thing. 

Part of the reason I stopped in PKK was that the stretch to Pran Buri was a mess last time and took me ages. It's all done bar some line painting on the sides - lane markers are done. 

Overall it seemed to me that the majority of people wee not speeding as much as before. The cynic in me puts this down to the increased fuel costs rather than a desire to obey the speed limits!

I have never found many people speeding on that road, day or night time.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, phuketrichard said:

thanks, heading up to Chiang Rai via Mae sot, Mae hong son in 3 weeks!!
Glad to see they Finally finished the road works around PKK

You can have the north of Bangkok update as well then! I came up past Chainat and got back on the main highway. Just north of Nakon Sawan there are two short bits that they are still resurfacing, other than that it was clear up to Tak. I had to stop at one point due to the rain though.

Archived