Renew O-A visa for first time

I am in Thailand for the first time using a Non Immigrant O-A visa.It was issued in Canada Nov 1 2017 with enter before date Oct 31 2018.  I arrived Dec 11 2017 and my Arrival card is stamped Admitted until Dec 10 2018.I want to renew my visa and stay here next year  I was told at Immigration I can get an automatic renewal for 1 year if I leave Thailand for minimum 1 day and return before Oct 31 2018.This sounds too good to be true.Is it ?   If it is true ,will I need to apply for a Re-entry permit before I leave ?  Can I do the same thing next year and avoid depositing 860000 baht in a Thai bank ?  If I want to apply at Immigration in Cheang Wattana do I have to apply 45 days before Dec 10 2018 or 45 days before Oct 31 2018 ?  Do I have to leave for at least 1 day before Oct 31 2018 or am I good to stay until Dec 10 2018 ?  I am sorry to have so many questions.I tried to find answers on immigration.go.th but I find it a little difficult.  I would appreciate any help and advice.  Thank you.

You got the correct info from immigration.

You can actually leave and re-enter on the same day to get a new one year entry as long as you do it on or before October 31st.

If you leave after October 31st you will only get a visa exempt entry when you return unless you get a re-entry permit to keep your current admitted until date valid.

If you did not do a new entry you would have to apply for a one year year extension prior to December 10th. You can apply up to 45 days before that day. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Thank you very much ubonjoe.

That makes it a lot easier.I will go for  a trip and return in late October and be good until October 2019.

Can I do the same thing next year and be good until October 2020 ?

Thanks again for you help.

Have a good day.

1 minute ago, ChuffD said:

Can I do the same thing next year and be good until October 2020 ?

No

After October 31st your visa will no longer be valid for entry. After that day you will need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry you will get prior to that date. Near the end of that entry you will need to apply for an extension of stay or apply for a new OA visa in your home country.

Thanks again for your information.

I assume from your answer  I can't apply  apply for a new OA visa in Thailand at that point.

How long is the extension of stay ?

Is it better for me to apply at Immigration through TM47 form with bank accounts etc.?

What do you think is the best way ?

21 minutes ago, ChuffD said:

Thanks again for your information.

I assume from your answer  I can't apply  apply for a new OA visa in Thailand at that point.

How long is the extension of stay ?

Is it better for me to apply at Immigration through TM47 form with bank accounts etc.?

What do you think is the best way ?

You can only apply for a OA visa at embassy or official Thai consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

A extension of stay is valid for one year and can be applied for again at the end of that year.

Unless you will be in your home country the extension of stay would certainly be easier. Also no need for medical certificate or a new criminal background check.

You would apply for the one year extension using a TM7 form. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht,

As said though you do not need to get a new OA visa or a extension for over a year if you get a new one year entry from your OA visa on or before October 31st of this year.