Buying Travellers Cheques.

My wife is shortly going to Australia for a while.

I would like to give her spending money by giving her travellers cheques.

Safer than cash.

Where can I buy some in Thailand?

Any bank or just certain branches?

Thanks.

Tried a search on here but all info was about bringing them into Thailand.

It is easy to exchange Thai Baht in Oz, but generally the exchange rate is terrible, plus you pay a fee to have the honour of getting a bad exchange rate. Most banks will exchange foreign currency, at a price and ThB is quoted on most exchange windows, but beware the rate.

To be honest the ATM card or credit card get better rates or buy Au$ in Thailand.

Simple answer: Don't even worry about travellers cheques. This is the 21st Century. Before you leave Oz, inform your bank the dates that you will be overseas and which countries you will be visiting. Make sure they 'flag' your accounts (including credit card) so there are no hassles to spoil your holidays. Also check your daily withdrawal limits on all your accounts and adjust upwards if necessary. Do NOT buy Thai baht in Australia.

I make sure I take out of Australia no more than $AUD100 in notes. There's plenty of Money Exchange booths and ATMs at the new Bangkok Airport, so you get a quite (in my opinion) competitive rate.

The last thing I do before I leave Thailand is change ALL my Thai baht for Australian dollars.

The rate you will get for Thai baht in Australia is around 5 baht to $AUD1 LESS than you will get at at the new Bangkok Airport. Be wary of changing your Australian dollars at Bangkok hotels - often you get a fairly lousy rate too.

Peter

Edited for clarity.

Edited by peter991

Simple answer: Don't even worry about travellers cheques. This is the 21st Century. Before you leave Oz, inform your bank the dates that you will be overseas and which countries you will be visiting. Make sure they 'flag' your accounts (including credit card) so there are no hassles to spoil your holidays. Also check your daily withdrawal limits on all your accounts and adjust upwards if necessary. Do NOT buy Thai baht in Australia.

I make sure I take out of Australia no more than $AUD100 in notes. There's plenty of Money Exchange booths and ATMs at the new Bangkok Airport, so you get a quite (in my opinion) competitive rate.

The last thing I do before I leave Thailand is change ALL my Thai baht for Australian dollars.

The rate you will get for Thai baht in Australia is around 5 baht to $AUD1 LESS than you will get at at the new Bangkok Airport. Be wary of changing your Australian dollars at Bangkok hotels - often you get a fairly lousy rate too.

Peter

Edited for clarity.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. This is not about the OP coming to Thailand but about his wife going to Australia.

Sophon

Yea, best way to go, saves hassles if a card wont work.

You can get travellers cheques at almost any branch of the major banks.

No need to go to the Amex office.

Cheques are available in about seven currencies including Aus dollar, so get them.

Tell your wife to take passport along to the bank, and air tickets.

Naka.

Edited by naka