Boat caught in Europe's migration spat brings hundreds to Spain

webfact

I'm sitting on the fence regarding the actions of the Aquarius, tending to view them as human traffickers.

Rescuing people at sea is one thing, it's good, no question, even if the boats of illegal immigrants seem to conveniently start sinking as soon as a rescue ship approaches.

Now, the second question is, why didn't the Aquarius bring them back to their port of origin which should be both pretty close and safe ?

If bringing people to Europe in order for them to be able to demand asylum is a good thing, why is the Aquarius allowed to do so while private persons doing the same are arrested ??

Policies regarding illegal immigrants/migrants/asylum seekers are totally irrational.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, manarak said:

Now, the second question is, why didn't the Aquarius bring them back to their port of origin which should be both pretty close and safe ?

Given the unstable government, numerous reports of severe abuse of asylum seekers and those using smugglers I seriously out of Libya I doubt those operating the rescue vessel (primarily MSF) would consider Libya 'safe'. In addition I would question whether the factions controlling the ports of departures would agree to off loading those on board.

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Yeh right and will be deported back to where they came from straight away .also the fairy at the bottom of my garden will go along to make sure they get there .

Never claimed people would be immediately returned to country of origin. There are well known challenges with returning rejected asylum seekers to their originating countries. Receiving governments worldwide are working on government to government agreements and other means to expedite the processes of deportation or stopping departures in the first place such as the EU agreement with Turkey. In the meantime facile commentary achieves nothing.

21 hours ago, simple1 said:

Your opinions are irrelevant.

Bravo, well done. Brilliant response.

Perhaps you would like to listen to the Guardian, champion of the liberal left.

It's 34,361 and rising: how the List tallies Europe's migrant bodycount

Because the data is not comprehensive, as we don’t have records of every incident, the true death toll is certain to be much higher.

They began collecting data in 1992, and the entries stretch back to 1989, but the first year with a significant number of records and the published list begins in 1993.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/20/the-list-europe-migrant-bodycount

High risk, high return: how Europe's policies play into the hands of people-smugglers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2018/jun/20/how-europe-policies-accelerate-people-smuggling

This is not a new problem, as much as some would try and paint it to be.

Never claimed people would be immediately returned to country of origin. There are well known challenges with returning rejected asylum seekers to their originating countries. Receiving governments worldwide are working on government to government agreements and other means to expedite the processes of deportation or stopping departures in the first place such as the EU agreement with Turkey. In the meantime facile commentary achieves nothing.

You say he makes a facile comment..but it is a true one what you say is something that is not going to happen no matter how many times you repeat it .as for the agrermemt with Turkey ,waste of time they just took the money and then just buisness as usuall. Send them on their way to us .its lovely to be a bleeding heart .but in the end you just bleed our land to death.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

You say he makes a facile comment..but it is a true one what you say is something that is not going to happen no matter how many times you repeat it .as for the agrermemt with Turkey ,waste of time they just took the money and then just buisness as usuall. Send them on their way to us .its lovely to be a bleeding heart .but in the end you just bleed our land to death.

Looks as though you and others of same type will never stop posting misinformed opinion.

EU arrivals from Turkey have dropped by 97% since signing of agreement.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/policies/european-agenda-migration/20180314_eu-turkey-two-years-on_en.pdf

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Must be true .if its the EU traitors telling us. Just like crime has actually fallen in Germany since immigration. There are lies damned lies and statistics.

You've got a problem, suggest you would be better off stepping away from immersion in extremist ideology.

Overall crime rates have dropped in Germany.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180509/what-we-learned-from-this-years-crime-statistics-and-what-we-didnt

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

The voice of an argument lost--on these pages and throughout Europe and America. The dominoes are falling and Merkel is next.

I completely reject nationalist populism is the way forward, in fact massive backward steps for the future of the people of the EU. We will see how many people are smiling with satisfaction in the future as authoritarian government commence their journeys of corruption and oppression, as is now occurring in places such as Hungary.

• Confused 1

Just now, zydeco said:

So you reject the popular will, which is also known as democracy. And you accuse others of being authoritarian? Your argument is typical open borders through the looking glass thinking.

No, I do not concur with Open Borders for asylum seekers / migrants, but reject the all encompassing vilification by many members of this forum.

Electing authoritarian Nationalist Populist leaders will lead to conflict,  oppression and the removal of democratic institutions.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

From your recommended link

"Anti-Semitic crime rose by 2.5 percent in comparison with 2016. The vast majority (95 percent) of these crimes were reportedly carried out by the far-right. But how this particular statistic is recorded has been heavily criticized due to the fact that any swastikas sprayed on a wall is automatically attributed to the far-right."

does that sound reliable and fair? Have hoaxes and false flags ever/often been carried out?

and then we have this little gem from your article

"A survey conducted by the state police in Lower Saxony last year, in which members of the public were asked inf they had been a victim of crime during the year, indicated that 93 percent of sexual offences are not reported"

93% of sex crimes were not reported on. 93%. 93% !!!!!!!! Enough said. The notion that crime is dropping in Germany is clearly complete bunkum. Trump, once again has been proven absolutely correct(just like he was with No Go zones in Sweden and Germany - denials, mockery, and then yes finally when it was impossible to lie and cover up any longer - acceptance. How predictable)

<snip>

No wonder Europeans are wary of more migration.

When I read your posts the barely veiled evil just makes me feel ill, so truly the last time to respond to you. The Reuters report is based upon national crimes statistics in Germany and not related to the OP. Why this constant deflection / flame behaviour is permitted by the Mods I do not know. However, if permitted by the Mods, to repeat, OVERALL crimes rates in Germany are dropping significantly. You appear to be of the opinion the majority of crimes in Germany and elsewhere in the EU are committed by asylum seekers / migrants which is of course nonsense.

15 minutes ago, simple1 said:

When I read your posts the barely veiled evil just makes me feel ill, so truly the last time to respond to you. The Reuters report is based upon national crimes statistics in Germany and not related to the OP. Why this constant deflection / flame behaviour is permitted by the Mods I do not know. However, if permitted by the Mods, to repeat, OVERALL crimes rates in Germany are dropping significantly. You appear to be of the opinion the majority of crimes in Germany and elsewhere in the EU are committed by asylum seekers / migrants which is of course nonsense.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

What are you gibbering about ?

Quoting sections from a link that you provided is not '' barely veiled evil ''

Get back in your safe space.

I am referencing the individual and a number of others who support right wing political extremism and vilification of entire ethno religious groups. Are you not in a "safe space', no need to answer.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Take on your own advise

5 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

What are you gibbering about ?

Quoting sections from a link that you provided is not '' barely veiled evil ''

Get back in your safe space.

There was no need for the last sentence - despite simple 1's extremely rude, insulting and inflammatory comment.  It's never a good idea to reduce any discussion to the lowest, common denominator!

But other than that - I agree.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Trying to put a halt to Illegal Immigration is neither right wing or the vilification of entire ethno religious groups.

You will love this one

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44546030

Almost 3 years too late.

Again Off Topic deflection, but lets see if Mods will permit a reply.

Yep, first steps, Hungarian government will proceed down the path of further oppression. Interesting those supporting Orban never mention his corruption, which is a very good indication to transforming into a full blown dictator.

Edited by simple1

20 hours ago, simple1 said:

No, I do not concur with Open Borders for asylum seekers / migrants, but reject the all encompassing vilification by many members of this forum.

Electing authoritarian Nationalist Populist leaders will lead to conflict,  oppression and the removal of democratic institutions.

Only in your world ,not in the real one .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

Where is the off topic deflection. I directly responsed to a comment that YOU made.

I replied with 

Nothing off topic about it. 

IMO Off Topic to link to far right oppressive legislation in Hungary, 

• Haha 2