Mexico football fan gay slur chant controversy goes to Russia

Jingthing

First of all, congratulations to the wonderful Mexican team for their brilliant upset over "powerhouse" Germany last night..

But something "funny" was going on in the stands.

Yes, they were doing that chant again.

Were they chanting "Puto" or the suggested word play change to "Putin" or both? I think either Puto or both but definitely not only Putin. 

That's the twist here. The addition of Putin.

https://www.outsports.com/2018/5/30/17399376/2018-world-cup-russia-mexico-gay-slur

Mexicans urged to chant ‘Putin’ instead of gay slur ‘puto’ at Russia World Cup

The offensive chant won’t go away.

This indicates that FIFA isn't going to do anything about it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/06/24/puto_world_cup_what_does_mexico_s_anti_gay_world_cup_soccer_chant_really.html

Personally, I'm conflicted.

I don't like the chant, but I can see the humor in it, and one of the charming things I've enjoyed about Mexican culture is the abundant use of colorful obscenity, in general, not only homophobic. 

But there does seem to be a double standard here. 

What if another team was using a slur relating to another group? Would FIFA let that pass too? I doubt it.

Anyway, I guess we'll be hearing it more at least for two more games in Russia.

OK there is talk now that FIFA will actually to actually try to identify the Mexican fans chanting that chant and ban them from future games they are already ticketed for. A Mexican player had made a public appeal to stop doing it at least at the cup. Stay tuned.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good news!

First of all, Mexico keeps winning and is emerging as a really serious contender. 

Also, somehow the message finally got through to their supporters and they stopped doing that chant.

They've got other delightful chants and songs, so no big loss there.

Archived