Thai police seek extradition of former abbot applying for asylum in Germany

webfact

Police seek extradition of former abbot applying for asylum in Germany

By Thai PBS

Phra-Phromedhi021.jpg

Thai police have sought an extradition of former assistant  abbot of Wat Sampanthawong Phra Prommethi who is reported to be seeking political asylum in Germany, Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said on Monday.

He said national police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda, has followed the required procedure to seek the extradition of the former monk but admitted that the process was stalled.

He said he didn’t know the reason behind the delay since Thai police have followed all necessary steps in accordance with the law.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-seek-extradition-former-abbot-applying-asylum-germany/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-18

But is there really a delay? Didn't we read about a week ago that the German authorities told them the process could take up to 2 months? I do like how someone mentioned an independent German court has to look into it. So long as the Thai government followed all procedure, it's just a waiting game, the process has not been stalled, as far as I understand. Upo to 2 months = up to 2 months, not in 3 days like you want. Governments all over the world, want what they want right then and there, but can't give others the same - example of the guy who posted about his waiting time of 5-7 years to become a thai citizen.

10 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

does Thailand have an extradition treaty with Germany?

No, they don't. I guess not fleeing to the US or the UK, who both do have an extradition treaty with Thailand, was a smart move.

However, under the principle of reciprocity in extradition, requests for extradition may be made by states which have no treaty of extradition with Thailand. But these states must clearly express a commitment to grant extradition of fugitives required by Thailand in a similar manner when requested. This being the case, extradition requests will usually be considered from states with no formal treaty on an ad hoc basis.

Edited by kandi

It is my understanding that the asylum case would first need to be settled before consideration could be given to the extradition.

Perhaps the Thais could present a case at the asylum hearing. I do not know if this is possible.

16 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Don't be too negative. There has been one positive out of all this. They are making Thailand's leadership appear as complete and utter fools; not only on the domestic scene but on the international stage as well. The loss of face must be galling for one certain individual.

They have collectively made a complete stuff-up of the operation. When Mr. Grumpy returns home from the UK some heads are sure to roll, with one notable exception, that being the ugly head of buffoon Prawit, the man in charge.

I'm not certain if the leadership realise that - are they that worldly-wise?

42 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not certain if the leadership realise that - are they that worldly-wise?

I'm not at all sure they understand it either. Surely if they did, they'd keep their mouths shut?

Instead, they seem addicted to making a laughing stock of themselves and the country. A day's just not complete until they've made someone else laugh at Thailand...

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, curlylekan said:

But is there really a delay? Didn't we read about a week ago that the German authorities told them the process could take up to 2 months? I do like how someone mentioned an independent German court has to look into it. So long as the Thai government followed all procedure, it's just a waiting game, the process has not been stalled, as far as I understand. Upo to 2 months = up to 2 months, not in 3 days like you want. Governments all over the world, want what they want right then and there, but can't give others the same - example of the guy who posted about his waiting time of 5-7 years to become a thai citizen.

His request for asylum will add a lot more delay time while it is considered. It puts the extradition request on hold until decided. 

• Like 2

Amazing. Just amazing.

These yoyos are just unbelievable.
"Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
You capture monks on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free"

[emoji15] [emoji1]
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thai police seek extradition, should the silly bar stewards not have been better doing that before 13 spongers went off on an expenses paid jolly?

That would involve knowing the procedures first, thinking, planning and coming up with a logical process.

Not something that usually happens!

• Like 1