Advice: Koh Samui > Khao Sok > Phuket

CG1 Blue

Hi, I received some excellent advice on another thread about my upcoming visit to Khao Sok National Park in August.  My itinerary has changed slightly and I'd like some travel/transport advice only (i.e. less focussed on what to do at KS).

As I said before, the key thing for me is to minimise travel time as much as possible, because I don't have long to spend in each place.

I plan to visit Khao Sok National Park for about 2 days in between Samui and Phuket, and it seems quite difficult to do this without wasting at least a day travelling. This seems to be the best travel schedule:

1. Fly from USM to BKK

2. Fly from BKK to URT (Surat Thani)

3. Taxi from URT to Khao Sok (I don't drive in Thailand)

4. Stay close to the national park for 2 nights

5. Taxi back to URT

6. Fly URT to HKT (Phuket)

Maybe steps 5&6 are completely nonsensical due to the proximity of Khao Sok and Phuket? In fact I just looked on Google and I would have to fly via BKK anyway!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

My source is Thailand Distance Calculator.  Khao Sok is almost equidistant from Surat Thani and Phuket: 118 km and 156 km respectively.  Travel times are estimated as 2 hrs. 20 min. and 2 hrs. 45 min. respectively.  If you are going to get in a taxi at Khao Sok, have him take you to Phuket.

11 minutes ago, allane said:

My source is Thailand Distance Calculator.  Khao Sok is almost equidistant from Surat Thani and Phuket: 118 km and 156 km respectively.  Travel times are estimated as 2 hrs. 20 min. and 2 hrs. 45 min. respectively.  If you are going to get in a taxi at Khao Sok, have him take you to Phuket.

That does make sense. Thanks for that!

9 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

Take the ferry from Samui to Donsak. You can pre-book a mini man tourist bus from Donsak to Khao Sok. Once finished you can take a pre-booked minivan from KS to Phucket.

A lot faster and a lot cheaper !

Yepp... Its the fastest and best way.. Although extremely boring though...

On 6/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, CG1 Blue said:

5. Taxi back to URT

6. Fly URT to HKT (Phuket)

Maybe steps 5&6 are completely nonsensical due to the proximity of Khao Sok and Phuket?

Even a direct flight with airport transfer, check-in and security check, actual flight time, getting luggage and getting out from airport, might take longer time, than a taxi or minibus direct to where to are going to stay at Phuket.

Going from Samui to Khao Sok National Park you should consider the 45 minutes Lomprayah high-speed catamaran ferry from Nathon to Don Sak, and take a taxi or minibus from there to the park, that will faster (and more relaxing) than air via BKK.

By car from Samui to Phuket (marina at north) with a normal 1½-hour ferry to Don Sak is about 6-7 hours in total; I talk from experience, if we leave 6 am, we are at Phuket around noon. By air USB-BKK-URT: 1 hour check-in + 1 hour flight + 1½ hour transfer in BKK + 1 hour flight + 30 min. check out = minimum 5 hours.

?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to respond to some of these later comments – just back from a week away with the family.

Thanks Tidybeard, paahlman, and the ever helpful khunPer. So...

From Samui I’ll opt for the Lomprayah high speed ferry from Nathon to Don Sak, then take a taxi to the park.

I’ll spend the next day trekking through the jungle (a friend is organising a guide for me).

The following day I’ll travel to Phuket. I’m visiting friends in Patong.  It looks like this is a 3 hour journey by road.

I wouldn’t mind breaking up the 3 hour journey from Khao Sok to Patong if anyone knows an interesting place to stop off for quick look.

Cheers

On 7/2/2018 at 3:17 PM, CG1 Blue said:

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to respond to some of these later comments – just back from a week away with the family.

Thanks Tidybeard, paahlman, and the ever helpful khunPer. So...

From Samui I’ll opt for the Lomprayah high speed ferry from Nathon to Don Sak, then take a taxi to the park.

I’ll spend the next day trekking through the jungle (a friend is organising a guide for me).

The following day I’ll travel to Phuket. I’m visiting friends in Patong.  It looks like this is a 3 hour journey by road.

I wouldn’t mind breaking up the 3 hour journey from Khao Sok to Patong if anyone knows an interesting place to stop off for quick look.

Cheers

I always stop at the McDonalds in Khao Lak ?

Archived