Urgent Help Needed About Tourist Visa

CTC200

Hello,

My apologies if this is the wrong section to post this. I saw the visa section and I got the impression its only for permanent visa questions and I didn't find a similar question in archive.

Ok, here's a problem we are facing. My friend wants to travel on Sunday or Monday to Bangkok and then from there in Puket... his passport though we just noticed has validity of only 4 more months andfast PASSPORTS with 6 months validity is not accepted in Thailand as we were told. Are there any options? This is for a tourist visa and he wants to stay just 6 days. If he arrives at airport what they'll do? Keep him and send him back? :o

He's from EU.

thanks for any help

Edited by CTC200

Thailand

Travel - Passport/Visa

Passport & Visa requirements

Nationality Passport Visa Return ticket

British Yes No Yes

Australian Yes No Yes

Canadian Yes No Yes

USA Yes No Yes

OtherEU Yes No/1/2 Yes

Japanese Yes No Yes

Passport

Passport valid for six months beyond intended length of stay required by all except the following:

(a) holders of a Hong Kong (SAR) certificate of identity issued to residents of Hong Kong (transit only);

(:o holders of a Singapore certificate of identity with a visa;

© holders of South African temporary passports;

(d) holders of a UN laissez-passer and Macau (SAR) China Travel Permits.

Visa

Required by all except the following nationals for touristic stays, provided they hold valid passports, sufficient funds and confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days:

(a) nationals of the countries referred to in the chart above, except 1. nationals of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovak Republic and Slovenia, who do need a visa;

(:D nationals of Bahrain, Brazil, Brunei, Hong Kong (SAR), Indonesia, Israel, Korea (Rep), Kuwait, Laos, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, The Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam;

© transit passengers continuing their journey, provided holding confirmed tickets and other documents for an onward journey and they do not leave the transit lounge.

Visa

This must be applied for at the Office of Immigration (tel: (662) 287 3101-10) or at a Consular office in the home country (only for certain nationals: see Note.

Visa notes

Restricted entry

Nationals of Afghanistan and Iraq will be refused (except for business purposes).

(a) 2. The following nationals can obtain an entry visa on arrival at 23 designated immigration checkpoints throughout Thailand (consult nearest Embassy/Consulate for further information), provided holding a confirmed ticket to leave within 15 days, proof of sufficient funds, application form with recent photo, a valid passport and that their visit is for tourist purposes only: Bhutan, China (PR), Cyprus, Czech Republic, Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Maldives, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia and Ukraine. The fee for this service is approximately 300 Baht; note that this is subject to frequent change. Travellers should also note that there are normally long queues at the immigration checkpoints. (:D Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They should submit their application to the Office of Immigration Bureau, Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. (662) 287-3127 or 3101-10 ext. 2264-5; website www.police.go.th/frconten.htm).

Passport

Passport valid for six months beyond intended length of stay required by all except the following:

(a) holders of a Hong Kong (SAR) certificate of identity issued to residents of Hong Kong (transit only);

(:o holders of a Singapore certificate of identity with a visa;

© holders of South African temporary passports;

(d) holders of a UN laissez-passer and Macau (SAR) China Travel Permits.

I think the aboive information is outdated. At least this is the information in the IATA (International Air Transport Association) database, which I believe most (if not all) airlines use. The OP didn't mention the nationality of the passport holder (other than 'EU'), so I have used Germany as an example:

National GERMANY (DE) /Embarkation GERMANY (DE)

Destination THAILAND (TH)

THAILAND (TH)

Passport (must be valid at least 30 days and in good condition)

required. Also accepted:

- Identity Card ( Kinderausweis ) issued to minors.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided

coming for touristic purposes. Extension up to 10 days is

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If passport is valid less than 30 days, stay will only be

permitted up to the validity of the passport.

Note: there is a max. limit of a total of 90 days within any

6 month period.

It is recommended to hold onward/return tickets.

If holding APEC Business Travel Card together with passport:

visa not required.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

For more information see: For details, click here .

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years old, visitor must also hold sufficient

funds (e.g. letter of credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known

credit cards) to cover stay (not applicable if holding

re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;

- overstay fine for passenger of THB 500,- per day (but not

exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

The information seems to be pretty much up-to-date as they mention the max. 90 days in six months rule. On the other hand I believe the fee of THB 500 mentioned for extension of stay is incorrect, but that is hardly critical information for the airlines.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon