WATCH: This video reveals one of the reasons why so many people die on Thailand's roads

webfact

36 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

it happens everyday in thailand and during school runs.no surprise and the police do nothing except have check points for farangs  and give fines for no license.but the thai person is ok if they have no license.

Do you have any facts or evidence to back up what you say, or are you talking out of your backside?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This phenomena is not just a Thai issue, it's happening all over the world, especially with car drivers. It is absolute lunacy. 

100% correct. Last weekend there was a bad accident here in Belgium with somebody play on his phone during driving. Result: he was badly ingured.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, fimo said:

"Shocking" for some westerners that like to see laws everywhere and for everything ?

Let's give thai people some freedom, they are adult. Why would you like to apply all our western laws to them ? Colonialism ?

Adult.? Their IQ hardly matches their shoe size. And that’s freedom to criminally endanger children is it? 

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"The shocking footage..."

business as usual on my Soi in Hua Hin.

Correct. Nothing unusual about it. Worst I've seen was the mother holding a new baby in one arm driving down a badly potholed road, or the guy holding an umbrella while his girlfriend was riding pillion.

I want to know how her m'bike kept going when she took her hand off the throttle. My bike slowed down instantly if I did that.

There's actually good news here. If most of the 25k killed on the roads every year are idiots doing stupid things, then if you're not being stupid, you have a very high chance of surviving.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Maybe. But not with helmetless motorcyclists on phones, and complete with helmetless child not even on a seat, it's not.

Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar ... even seen it in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (minus the kid). 

Guess what happened to me when I tried to admonish one them against using a smartphone while cycling? The response started with "I'm not bothering anyone else so why do you care?" to, eventually, anti-foreigner hate statements when I pressed him. I imagine most Thais operating a motor vehicle would reply in the same manner. I was hit on the road by a van driver and the situation was such that he must have had his eyes completely off the road while negotiating a turn into a driveway!

14 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Like my Mrs ,though she does wear a helmet,never has had a licence,she got fined 2 years ago for that and has still not payed it.I am hoping they lock her up.

40+ years ago, I always wore a good helmet.  I have a lifetime Thai motorcycle license.  No one told me I needed license plates up in Loei, so I never bothered.  Life was good.

This phenomena is not just a Thai issue, it's happening all over the world, especially with car drivers. It is absolute lunacy. 

4 hours ago, Foexie said:

100% correct. Last weekend there was a bad accident here in Belgium with somebody play on his phone during driving. Result: he was badly ingured.

One more shining example of useless comparisons to other countries.

Around 25,000 dead every year, in Thailand, they have the number 1 slot of the worst driver riders in the world for a reason.

Apologist's,   please take your blinkers off,  its getting boring now. :coffee1:

1 hour ago, mettech said:

I have witness in the past  having 5 peoples on this scooter incredible my ex girl friend told me that is ok since the families is all they have to go from point A to B.

That may well be true, But

Why then do they do this, whilst 5 up.

Ride the wrong way up the road.

Play on the phone.

Crash red lights.

Speed.

Ride  with no insurance

Ride with no licence.

Ride whilst piss up.

I know after 20 years here. maybe get your ex girl friend  to tell you the complete and honest truth.  ( LoL )

Be careful it may involve broken little face syndrome. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

6 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Clearly your head is up your backside not to have noticed this everyday occurrence yourself.

No. I read daily of people CLAIMING it without the personal experience to back it up. It's one of those urban myths, like every Thai is punished by a 500 baht fine and a wai when they break the law. It all gets a bit tiresome, in the same way that 'if you don't like it here then go home' does.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

7 hours ago, Foexie said:

Oh dear a bad accident last weekend do I hear you say, well would you Adam and Eve it 

Edited by oldlakey
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tropo said:

There's actually good news here. If most of the 25k killed on the roads every year are idiots doing stupid things, then if you're not being stupid, you have a very high chance of surviving.

Could be, even maybe, any survivors will be collared next year alongside some of the new entrants

Edited by oldlakey

18 hours ago, shady86 said:

Self driving bikes would be a hit here.

Honda has already developed the pcx to be self driving. It come out this year.

Self driving meaning it wont fall over at speed and a few other tricks but of coarse it probobly wont change lanes on its own or stop before impact.

But still great for 5 year olds and the elderly and smart phone junkies

I do not believe that not wearing a helmet, packing a child in front of the driver

as well as texting on a motorbike  is a world wide problem. Texting is for sure

a problem, but cars provide a bit more protection if an accident occurs.

Geezer