Police To Step Up Security For Valentine's And Chines New Year

george

Police to step up security

BANGKOK: -- Police will step up security measures from next Monday to February 20, a period that includes Valentine's Day and the Chinese New Year.

National police chief General Kowit Watana has already sent memos to key police officers prescribing measures that should be in place during the period. One of the measures is for checkpoints to be set up day and night. Police have also been instructed to pay particular attention to banks, gold shops, jewellery shops, petrol stations, bus terminals, tourist attractions and other places recording large cash flows during this period.

Kowit also ordered police stations to have enough officers on standby, so they can provide assistance if needed, and told those with bomb-disposal units to ensure that they are prepared for emergencies.

Police have been instructed to pay particular attention to entertainment venues and densely populated communities on Valentine's Day.

--The Nation 2007-02-02

Police to step up security

BANGKOK: -- Police will step up security measures from next Monday to February 20, a period that includes Valentine's Day and the Chinese New Year.

National police chief General Kowit Watana has already sent memos to key police officers prescribing measures that should be in place during the period. One of the measures is for checkpoints to be set up day and night. Police have also been instructed to pay particular attention to banks, gold shops, jewellery shops, petrol stations, bus terminals, tourist attractions and other places recording large cash flows during this period.

Kowit also ordered police stations to have enough officers on standby, so they can provide assistance if needed, and told those with bomb-disposal units to ensure that they are prepared for emergencies.

Police have been instructed to pay particular attention to entertainment venues and densely populated communities on Valentine's Day.

--The Nation 2007-02-02

George - you post this every year. Aren't they usually posted at 'love motels' looking for thai girls in 'spaghetti strap' tops??

Maybe this year will be different.

Some people might want to get even after the new year's bombings :o

Yes I guess so. But what are you suggesting?

That rich and influential Chinese Thais will bomb each other (faction-on-faction) during Chinese New Year so no one thinks rich Chinese Thais were behind it? Or am I missing your point? As for valentine's day, what?

Not necessarily Chinese Thais but anybody who like to disrupt an important event. Get even was maybe a wrong choice of words on my part.

Not necessairly a bad choice. But personally I think we're seeing a lot of disinformation right now. be skeptical of all these 'important events' threats you read about. There is something going on here but it seems a bit orchestrated - and so that's where it gets frightening - is it Thaksin? Or someone/group else? In a way it seems a bit amatuerish to me at least....so if it is a major PR company behind this - whether Thasksin or somebody else - (H&K or another - which I really doubt) then they have their real 'juniors' doing this.. No this is real amatuer sh+t..

Agree with what you're saying. It's not really Iraq style civil unrest that's taking place.

Maybe when you know who expires and the young one takes over (if he takes over) problems get bigger. At least that's what Mrs Meom seems to think.