High Court Dismisses Insurrection Case Against Prayuth

webfact

High Court Dismisses Insurrection Case Against Prayuth

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

35922948_267176417162029_381975621010666

Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha takes a stroll Thursday at a park in London. Photo: Government House

BANGKOK — The Supreme Court on Friday rejected an attempt by pro-democracy activists to prosecute junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha for armed insurrection by staging his coup four years ago.

In today’s verdict, the court affirmed the rulings handed down by two lower courts dismissing the lawsuit. The activist who brought the case to the court warned it might set a precedent for other coup leaders in the future.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/06/22/high-court-dismisses-insurrection-case-against-prayuth/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-22
  • Haha 1

Supreme Court dismisses Resistant Citizen’s high treason case against military junta

By Thai PBS

prayut221260B.jpg

The Supreme Court today upheld the earlier ruling of two lower courts to dismiss a lawsuit filed by 15  activists accusing junta chairman Gen  Prayut  Chan-o-cha and four military top brass of high treason for staging a coup d’etat against an elected government in 2014.

The highest court reasoned that what the military junta had done was not against the laws, and agreed with the rulings by the Court of First Instance and the Appeals Court to dismiss their lawsuits.

One of the 15 activists of the group Mr Anond Nampha said they respected and accepted the final ruling of the Supreme Court.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/supreme-court-dismisses-resistant-citizens-high-treason-case-military-junta/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-22

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Supreme Court on Friday rejected an attempt by pro-democracy activists to prosecute junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha for armed insurrection by staging his coup four years ago.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The activist who brought the case to the court warned it might set a precedent for other coup leaders in the future.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

The highest court reasoned that what the military junta had done was not against the laws

Except for the fact that it was against the laws of the country at that time. Just shows that the courts in Thailand don't follow the laws. I mean, the criminal code is not linked to the constitution - that's why during the time there was no constitution, you would still go to prison if you murdered someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No surprise in this one. Despite the amnesty he gave himself, AFTER, breaking the law. One more piece of proof that the law in Thailand is very flexible when it wants to be.

Incredibly, innovative and imaginative flexibility.

At last, something to be number 1 at - 555!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Those two Farangs walking with him,must be MI6,

for protection in case he bumps into a Shinawatra.

regards Worgeordie

MI6 operates outside the UK. It isn't responsible for internal security.

Diplomatic protection is usually provided by a group from within the Metropolitan Police. 

• Like 1

Which constitution was the court referring to, because a coup sure as hell was against the law in the constitution that was in effect when it happened.  Perhaps they were referring to one of the other 16 constitutions Thailand has had, which were all trashed by - Coups. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Which constitution was the court referring to

Section 48 of the legalized Interim Charter (now incorporated into the legalized 2017 Constitution) that (I paraphrase for brevity and emphasize portions) granted amnesty for all acts of the NCPO, whether all the described acts have been done so as to produce constitutional, legislative, executive, or judicial effects. If those acts are in breach of law, the actors shall be released from guilt and liabilities absolutely.

To maintain its credibility I have several times suggested that the entire judicial system should have resigned in protest to such apparent abuse and violation of the 2007 Constitution and Penal Code without approval by the Thai electorate. All Thai Constitutions apparently falsely state that sovereignty of the nation belongs to the Thai people.

But the challenge now for the Thai people becomes 'what exactly is their right of sovereignty over the nation'; and how will such right ever have any real meaning? Those political parties that do not or refuse to address that basic challenge will in essence concede to the status quo of repressive and unelected regimes in perpetuity. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Let's see after the next inevitable countercoup. Prayuth might consider buying a house next to Thaksin while in London, Thais like to flock together.

Need you to start predicting sporting matches....it sounds like you have an uncanny ability to foresee the future! I would make a fortune! 

Seriously, what would make this group insulated from a countercoup? As they become more and more political the military support will shift and the next ambitious military member will say to themselves I could be PM....lets have a go at it!

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

See my post #20.

It was linked to the Interim Charter.

I get that, but I would argue that at the point (at the army club meeting with Yingluck) when Prayuth committed treason, the NCPO did not yet exist and and so at that time he was breaking the law. I know, of course, that none of this matters - just shows the supreme court to be as unethical as all the courts below it. Mock surprise to follow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

That would likely p__s off MI5, given it's their terrain. I'm impressed they bothered to spare two; one should have sufficed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

That would likely p__s off MI5, given it's their terrain. I'm impressed they bothered to spare two; one should have sufficed. 

5 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

my auntie was a member of mi5 a long time ago she was the bodyguard for krushchevs wife when he visited the uk,she was also in the met.her husband my uncle had no clue what she done for a living except being a public servant he was the local milk man. she was also spanish born.