US Passport Renewal by Mail?

Hi TV-ers, 

My US passport needs to be renewed and I'm planning to use the US "passport by mail service." I've never renewed my passport before. So, I'm being cautious. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/passport-by-mail-service-adult-renew/

They require that I mail them my current, valid passport. So, I will be without a passport (and visa page) for 4-6 weeks. Should I scan all pages before sending? Take a picture with my phone? What's considered "best practices" for being without a passport for 4-6 weeks?

What do I do if stopped by police and my passport is requested? I stay out of trouble here, but you never know. What if I got into an auto accident, for example? 

I want to be sure the process is secure, so I plan to get a Thai PO box before proceeding. Good idea? I don't think a signature is required. Any general advice on doing this right would be appreciated. And, if I'm overthinking it, fine. ?

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

according to the website, you need to make an appointment at the embassy to submit the package.  they send the info electronically to the us for processing.

"If you are residing in Thailand, you may be eligible to renew your passport and/or change your surname on your passport by MAIL."

It then lists criteria. 

"You are eligible to renew your U.S. passport by mail if all of the following statements are TRUE"

I can answer TRUE to all criteria, so I can use mail. It gives choice of couriers. 

"Ensure you select a courier service that will provide you with a tracking number. You may send your completed application package through the following couriers ..."

Edited by Ebumbu

It's true that I'd still wait for the returned passport, even if I flew to Bangkok. So, my question is: what should I do to avoid "TIT" problems while I'm waiting for my passport to be mailed back? Should I just scan each page and keep an image in my phone? What do I do if a BIB asked for my passport? Looking for recommendations from members who have experience and can suggest how to avoid problems.  

copy, scan or take pictures of the pages just in case you need to show them. Don't worry too much. Been here many years only carry a copy of my passport in my car. I only needed my passport for hotel check ins and when I went to immigration office.

Bangkok is not too far from Pattaya, I opted to apply in person and i am glad I did. My photo had blue back ground and was rejected. I was able to use the photo booth and avoided delay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

They require that I mail them my current, valid passport. So, I will be without a passport (and visa page) for 4-6 weeks

Not sure where you are getting the 4 to 6 weeks number from. The website says about 3 weeks. In reality it will be about 2 weeks.

I suggest you print out the scans of your passport photo page and any other page relevant to your permit to stay. If asked for your passport by an authority explain to them you have sent it the US embassy. Keep the emergency phone number for the embassy handy incase you were to have a problem.

Be sure you take care of anything that you might need your passport for before mailing it.

Be sure and keep the receipt for sending your passport.

You could use a PO box number since your new passport will be sent to you by Thai post but I see no reason to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I renewed my US passport about two years ago at the embassy in Bangkok. Unless things have changed, if you choose to receive your new passport by mail, you must surrender your current passport when you apply. If you choose to pick-up your passport when it arrives at the embassy, you can keep your current passport until then. When you arrive to pick up your new passport, they will invalidate your old passport it, punch a hole through it and return it to you. 

If you're anywhere near Bangkok, you do have a choice to keep your passport until the new one arrives. Also, in my case at least, the time it took to get my new passport was about 8 days. 

Edited by gjoo888
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

?I was staying in Saigon when mine was expiring, went to the embassy did the paperwork and had a new passport in 10 days. Take a little holiday trip and get it done..

Edited by JRUSA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where you are getting the 4 to 6 weeks number from. The website says about 3 weeks. In reality it will be about 2 weeks.

I suggest you print out the scans of your passport photo page and any other page relevant to your permit to stay. If asked for your passport by an authority explain to them you have sent it the US embassy. Keep the emergency phone number for the embassy handy incase you were to have a problem.

Be sure you take care of anything that you might need your passport for before mailing it.

Be sure and keep the receipt for sending your passport.

You could use a PO box number since your new passport will be sent to you by Thai post but I see no reason to do it.

Excellent. I was padding 3 weeks, based on typical mail-delays, TIT, and just Murphy's Law. Glad to here it should be faster. I appreciate what you do here. 

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the reassuring answers. I just don't want to make a dumb move, so I thought I'd check in with the experts here first. Will sort a couple passport things before sending it in. And, will get a waterproof mailbox. ?

Edited by Ebumbu
  • Like 1

I just sent mine off today to do it by mail. A few things. Make sure the bank issues Drafts. Not checks, not cashiers checks. Double check the spelling for "American Embassy Bangkok".

There are the forms from the DS 82, as well as the need for the check list. I found the need for the checklist to be included while sitting at the post office.

Good luck!

• Like 1