Are visa agencies worth it/suggestions to do a visa run on my own...

AlphaCanadian

For a visa run there is always the option of going flying to a number of places and getting a tourist visa at the consulate/embassy. However I am fairly busy and if I were to fly to another country I would want to stay for at least 3-4 days to make it worth it.

I was thinking of using an agency (same day departure and arrival) as I have heard that it makes it much easier (although more money).

Is using an agency the best way to go?

If anyone can recommend a public train or bus to take (rather than using an agency) I appreciate it. I am hoping to get it done on the same day.

I have found some suggestions on travel blogs but things can always change. If anyone has recently done an independent run please let me know.

I live near On Nut BTS in Bangkok.

Thanks in advance.

you can do a same day border run and return with a visa exempt entry (30 days plus can extend 30 days at local immigration). but, as noted by another member, you can't get a tourist visa same day.  i think laos is the best for an overland trip to get a tourist visa if you are in bangkok.

3 hours ago, buick said:

you can do a same day border run and return with a visa exempt entry (30 days plus can extend 30 days at local immigration). but, as noted by another member, you can't get a tourist visa same day.  i think laos is the best for an overland trip to get a tourist visa if you are in bangkok.

Are you sure about that? I thought you can only get a 30 day extend on a 60 day tourist visa (60+30=90). I did not think that 30+30=60 was possible. If it is then that is great new for me because it means a daily visa run every 60 days and not every 30 (although waiting at immigration in Bangkok for hours is almost as time consuming as a visa run day trip).

1 hour ago, AlphaCanadian said:

Are you sure about that? I thought you can only get a 30 day extend on a 60 day tourist visa (60+30=90). I did not think that 30+30=60 was possible. If it is then that is great new for me because it means a daily visa run every 60 days and not every 30 (although waiting at immigration in Bangkok for hours is almost as time consuming as a visa run day trip).

Yes, since a couple of years ago this is possible on 30 day visa exempt entries. Note that only two visa exempt entries are possible per year though if using a land border. 

17 hours ago, AlphaCanadian said:

as the other poster mentioned, it has been possible for several years now.  it sounds like you have spent some time at CW in bangkok, as have i.  since you can only do the border run twice per calendar year, you'll still need to get a tourist visa or two if you plan to stay most of the year in thailand.  i used that method to stay here approx 250 days a year for 10 yrs.  i finally turned 50 and got the retirement extension of stay.  good luck with your border run and your next extension (i hope it is quick !!!).