Reliable Dash Cams

i Phad

I'm looking for a dash cam. Price is not a major concern. I'm looking for quality image, collision detection/auto save, good heat resistance, and low profile. 

I spent an afternoon on the web reading articles such as "The 5 Best Dash Cams in 2018!," and "The Highest Rated Dash Cams!," etc., etc., blah, blah.

Then I went to Amazon and Ebay and learned they all had a number of 1-star reviews. Most sounded like quite valid complaints.

So I'm hoping you guys might have some good input.

If you have a dash cam, how about letting me know your experience with it, good or bad. Brand and model numbers, please.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The technology is evolving so quickly that anyone with a cam more than 6 months old is disqualified from making a recommendation. 

I bought a Drive Pro two years ago, never had any trouble with it and it gives good quality videos, including night vision, you can read number plates. ฿3500.- at the time.

I initially bought a cheap one on the advice of a taxi driver ("they all break after a year anyway") and it became unusable after a few months.

If I bought a new one I would buy one that enabled me to watch the videos on a smart phone without having to disconnect the cam and bring it into the house (viewing screen is to small to properly see what happened). Having GPS enabled would be nice as well, so I'm [probably looking at spending ฿5 - 6000.- 

Peace of mind.

A rear view cam would be nice as well.

You might want to have a look at 'Aston' as the manufacturer. We got one fitted (properly) just last week and the little lady is extremely happy with it. Their models have the monitors (front & rear) built into the mirror. This image can be selected or shut of during normal driving so as not to cause distraction.

Got ours through Lazada, two days for delivery and they have quite a few models.

• Like 1

I don't have one but I've watched footage from those who do and read a few reviews. Things I've picked up:

A screen is not needed.

Ensure its HD

Have it hardwired or the day it was needed will be the day you forgot to plug it in.

Blackview are supposed to be very good.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:48 AM, Lancashirelad said:

I don't have one but I've watched footage from those who do and read a few reviews. Things I've picked up:

A screen is not needed.

Ensure its HD

Have it hardwired or the day it was needed will be the day you forgot to plug it in.

Blackview are supposed to be very good.

On this subject, I have bought a mirror mounted cam (great idea) made by Anytek and I need some user instructions as it didn't come with any.

Tried websites etc but no luck yet, so is there anyone out there with some instructions for this type of cam...….Anytek t1 mirror mounted cam.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

On this subject, I have bought a mirror mounted cam (great idea) made by Anytek and I need some user instructions as it didn't come with any.

Tried websites etc but no luck yet, so is there anyone out there with some instructions for this type of cam...….Anytek t1 mirror mounted cam.

Thanks.

Might be something useful here: Youtube Anytek t1

Seems to be quite detailed, but in Thai with no subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnvSG1K50Y

31 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Might be something useful here: Youtube Anytek t1

Seems to be quite detailed, but in Thai with no subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnvSG1K50Y

Thanks for that info and I did see that on YouTube but my Thai is nit noi!

However you have just given me another idea...……..this did show the cam with some English features on it, but how to find them, so thought about my Thai lady appt owner, and I will get her in to translate!!

Great and thanks for helping me fire a neuron!!!

• Like 1

Thanks everybody.

Ended up buying an Aukey on e-bay. $60 and so far works exceptionally well. I also bought an extra bracket to install in our Thai vehicle, so we can pop it on while we're there.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

it seems that blackvue and thinkware are still the best available since many years ?

But is there any dashcam that can upload files to cloud (maybe if a mobile with DATA stays in the car ?)

Thanks.