What is your experience with Airbnb in Thailand (and elsewhere)?

JimmyJ

I've never used them.

I was planning to start using them sometimes on this trip to SE Asia.

I know some have had excellent experiences, but I also see a large number of complaints of people who were deceived by the rentees, horrible cs if there's a problem, etc., which has discouraged me.

There was one news article in TVF fairly recently where someone was renting a house in Thailand with a pool, and it was a total wreck, non functioning pool. Looked like it was hit by a hurricane the day before. A total ripoff with deceptive pix on the airbnb site.

Curious what you travelers have experienced using them.

Edited by JimmyJ

11 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Strange...I would have thought that accomodation like hotels, condos, rooms, etc., are so cheap here that Airbnb wouldn't be necessary?

I have used AIrBnb several times and I got a better deal than I would have gotten at a hotel.

My last trip to western France, last week, I reserved a Cottage. It was a very large 5 bedroom Cottage (Really big cottage) on the ocean for $200 a night. The host was great and the Cottage was breathtaking. The nearest hotel was $180 a night for a small room.

My last trip to Thailand, last May, I rented a Villa on the ocean in Phuket. The Villa was part of a Hotel, but its own separate building. When I booked it though AirBnb it was 1/3 the cost of what it would have been if I book the same Villa directly through the Hotel (I looked it up on the hotel website), and I got to use all the hotel facilities. The Villa was over the top, and the host went out of his way to make sure everything was great.

• Like 2

I made a reservation for 2 weeks at The Base in Pattaya a while back. After hearing about the kerfuffle over condo units there, I expressed my concern to the person handling the unit. I said:

:I have been reading that some big condos in Pattaya , like The Base, are having problems with the police because it is illegal to rent condos for less than 1 month. How will this affect me?"

Her response was:

"Nothing affects to you ?
Don’t worry about that .we responsibility everything sir.. If we cannot do that we don’t do na kha . The Base condo have totally 500 rooms short term rental . We just inform information our customer to immigration. Don’t worry about that . Pattaya is ok . Thank you for worry about that. ? "

I responded:

"Despite your words, I do not want to be in violation of Thai law or condo rules. I have advised AirBnB to cancel this reservation. I expect a 100% refund, as I feel the unit was offerred under fraudulent circumstances (it was not legally available to be rented for 13 days only).

Please advise if there is some way around this."

I have yet to hear back from her. I am currently out 6,000 THB

I have now contacted AirBnB & am waiting on their response. If nothing, maybe the next step is to involve the condo board or the police.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Strange...I would have thought that accomodation like hotels, condos, rooms, etc., are so cheap here that Airbnb wouldn't be necessary?

For small rooms usually hotels are cheaper.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grkt said:

You have style to look for problems.

Why do you have to care a law that is not yours ? RIDICULOUS.

Well its an interesting case what he created there him self.

But yes in case of a problem it would be rhe owner her problem now he creates his own problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grkt said:

You book and pay 1 night online and then discuss for more nights with the owner when you meet him: cheaper and safer.

You've never had the problem that a night you wanted was already booked?

58 minutes ago, elgenon said:

You've never had the problem that a night you wanted was already booked?

next property then. no drama, i travel alone.

what is great is that after booking 1 night online and the owner met me, I am able to get a discount for the next nights...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenscot said:

This is great news condominiums are being overrun making life hell for owners. It is not only Airbnb, but agoda, booking.com, hotels.com etc. are also facilitating the running of illegal hotels out of residential condominiums. No checks are done by these companies which think they are above the law. What should be quality homes for owners and long term resident become low class 1star hotels. 4-5 adults in a studio soon places amenities under extreme pressure. Some show no respect, No taxes are paid with money pocketed in the lobbies. This is big money lost to support healthcare etc. not to mention the loss of business to hotels, how many locals are loosing their jobs. Holiday maker are not welcome, a party holiday attitude is not compatible with a private residence. how would anyone want to stay next door to an Airbnb, not knowing who will be staying a few days later. Residents security is at risk by some!!!

Mate most condos here are 80% empty most days of the year so how can a few airbnb units harm that?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, grkt said:

next property then. no drama, i travel alone.

what is great is that after booking 1 night online and the owner met me, I am able to get a discount for the next nights...

Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Mate most condos here are 80% empty most days of the year so how can a few airbnb units harm that?

Apart from the fact that it is illegal. I does not take long when studio are filled with 4 or more adults which will use facilities on a daily basis, booking their sunbed with towels early morning, the pool area, gyms etc are overrun even in low season. In high season it really is hell, as an owner I will need to decide if I really want to stay in my own condo. Do you suggest I should book a hotel for some peace and quiet!!! Why would anyone would want to travel to a country and act against that countries law. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its very popular in my home country..

There are also many asian countries where airbnb is high in demand Thailand should simply follow the trend.

Airbnb now illegal in the Philippines too!

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never used them, am entirely happy with Booking.com and Traveloka (when I travel with an airline that gives a discount voucher)

Sure I agree when booking a real hotel but realise not all hotels are what they seem many are just apartments in a residential condo. No checks are done, I could at this minute put any location up and call it a hotel. Many comments on sites complain that there was no breakfast provided....people are being cheated on these sites. What looks to be a hotels are not

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kenscot said:

Airbnb now illegal in the Philippines too!

U lying Airbnb super popular in Phillipines especially under the locals.

if u read in the Nation it says airbnb so popular in Chiang Mai seems it is fully accepted already 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

U lying Airbnb super popular in Phillipines especially under the locals.

if u read in the Nation it says airbnb so popular in Chiang Mai seems it is fully accepted already 

you should do more investigation.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=airbnb+philippines+

In reference to private residential condominiums. It has been part of the condominiums and hotels act it is illegal to short term rent in Thailand. As far as I am aware Chang Mai is in Thailand. Airband host have now been prosecuted under this law as police an immigration crackdown. Also a Airbnb host  will likely not report their quest to immigration as a hotel does automatically. Within a condo you could be deemed a trespasser.

Edited by Kenscot
Information added
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kenscot said:

you should do more investigation.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=airbnb+philippines+

In reference to private residential condominiums. It has been part of the condominiums and hotels act it is illegal to short term rent in Thailand. As far as I am aware Chang Mai is in Thailand. Airband host have now been prosecuted under this law as police an immigration crackdown. Also a Airbnb host  will likely not report their quest to immigration as a hotel does automatically. Within a condo you could be deemed a trespasser.

Seems only a couple of  condominium buildings  in Manila nolonger Airbnb allowed who are owned partially by government.

Besides that airbnb booming in Phillipines.

u say Airbnb forbidden in chiang mai?

Read article and click the link.

Airbnb welcomed more than 160,000 guests from 135 countries to Chiang Mai in 2017, with an average growth of 71 per cent year-over-year. 

Airbnb Experiences give travellers unprecedented insider access through selected activities arranged by local experts. 

From being immersed in the Hmong community to learning about the traditional yantra tattoo, Airbnb uses technology as a platform to connect people and create cross-cultural interaction.

“Travellers are increasingly interested in exploring authentic experiences through the eyes of locals,” said Parin Mehta, director of Experiences Asia Pacific. 

“This is not just about foreign travellers, either. Domestic travel is also on the rise, with 60 per cent growth in domestic guest arrivals from the past year. Locals are finding new ways to rediscover and enjoy the magic and hospitality of what their country has to offer.”

Globally, Airbnb offers 13,000 Experiences in 180 cities. In Thailand, Chiang Mai is the second-largest market for Experiences after Bangkok. 

Airbnb has expanded its platform across the country, where individuals or professional tour guides can now request to list on the platform and connect with the global network of more than 300 million Airbnb travellers.

“As tourism in Thailand continues to grow rapidly, it is increasingly important to promote sustainable travel,” said Worapong Phukpoo, head of research at Thailand’s Community Based Tourism Institute (CBT-I). 

“We are heartened that Airbnb is empowering entrepreneurs and strengthening communities by providing a global platform for them to share their passions and businesses.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348731

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-27

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Seems only a couple of  condominium buildings  in Manila nolonger Airbnb allowed who are owned partially by government.

Airbnb welcomed more than 160,000 guests from 135 countries to Chiang Mai in 2017, with an average growth of 71 per cent year-over-year. 

Airbnb Experiences give travellers unprecedented insider access through selected activities arranged by local experts. 

From being immersed in the Hmong community to learning about the traditional yantra tattoo, Airbnb uses technology as a platform to connect people and create cross-cultural interaction.

“Travellers are increasingly interested in exploring authentic experiences through the eyes of locals,” said Parin Mehta, director of Experiences Asia Pacific. 

“This is not just about foreign travellers, either. Domestic travel is also on the rise, with 60 per cent growth in domestic guest arrivals from the past year. Locals are finding new ways to rediscover and enjoy the magic and hospitality of what their country has to offer.”

Globally, Airbnb offers 13,000 Experiences in 180 cities. In Thailand, Chiang Mai is the second-largest market for Experiences after Bangkok. 

Airbnb has expanded its platform across the country, where individuals or professional tour guides can now request to list on the platform and connect with the global network of more than 300 million Airbnb travellers.

“As tourism in Thailand continues to grow rapidly, it is increasingly important to promote sustainable travel,” said Worapong Phukpoo, head of research at Thailand’s Community Based Tourism Institute (CBT-I). 

“We are heartened that Airbnb is empowering entrepreneurs and strengthening communities by providing a global platform for them to share their passions and businesses.”

thenation_logo.jpg

Read the hotels and condominiums act of Thailand. Short term rentals of private residential condominiums is  illegal. End of!. In Chonburi a Airbnb host are being convicted with penalties of  1000 baht per day per rental. The same has happened in the south with Phuket being more the first are enforce this law. This has been driven by ingrate neighbours the hotels industry, immigration and no doubt the inland revenue as no tax is paid. Not everything that is popular is good. A cheap holiday for one can be at the detriment of a communities. There are many empty hotels use them 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peabody said:

I made a reservation for 2 weeks at The Base in Pattaya a while back. After hearing about the kerfuffle over condo units there, I expressed my concern to the person handling the unit. I said:

:I have been reading that some big condos in Pattaya , like The Base, are having problems with the police because it is illegal to rent condos for less than 1 month. How will this affect me?"

Her response was:

"Nothing affects to you ?
Don’t worry about that .we responsibility everything sir.. If we cannot do that we don’t do na kha . The Base condo have totally 500 rooms short term rental . We just inform information our customer to immigration. Don’t worry about that . Pattaya is ok . Thank you for worry about that. ? "

I responded:

"Despite your words, I do not want to be in violation of Thai law or condo rules. I have advised AirBnB to cancel this reservation. I expect a 100% refund, as I feel the unit was offerred under fraudulent circumstances (it was not legally available to be rented for 13 days only).

Please advise if there is some way around this."

I have yet to hear back from her. I am currently out 6,000 THB

I have now contacted AirBnB & am waiting on their response. If nothing, maybe the next step is to involve the condo board or the police.

7 minutes ago, Kenscot said:

You were correct to cancel. Who would want to travel to a country and be on the wrong side of the law. There has now been a few court conviction of Airbnb hosts in Chonburi and more in other tourist areas. There will definitely be more. These condo are in direct competition with local hotels with employ staff and pay taxes. In a condo it is all owner that pay for a limited level of staffing and security to support a residential community.  Police and immigration are doing routine searches.

Good luck with the refund.. 

Edited by Kenscot
info update
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, grkt said:

You have style to look for problems.

Why do you have to care a law that is not yours ? RIDICULOUS.

Where is your country we will all come and break your laws....Ridiculas!!!  When visiting a country you follow their rules, try disrespecting the king and see what happen!! 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

thenation_logo.jpg

This article is not about their core business, it is to do with the experience service which matches a customer with a service like skydiving to a walk round a paddy field. I do not see anything wrong with that, but may well at some point effect another business. Local agent may loose out with their fees going abroad instead of the community in which they live. 

I repeat I refer to The Hotel and CONDOMIIUMS act of Thailand. See something ? Condominiums!!

Edited by Kenscot
spelling