Entry to U.K. visa and understanding.

I have  situation, or a Thai friend who is travelling has been made to think its a problem.

Entry visa for U.K. is granted.

Date says valid from July 7th. 

Leaving Bangkok on the night of the sixth July via Dubai. 

Arrives 7am July 7th Heathrow airport..

She has it in her head  that she will not be allowed to board.

She has to leave Bangkok day seven or later. 

I was told that the Emirates flights were ok.

Entry to the U.K. is on day seven. 

The first day of her 6 months visa.

If not. 

Three tickets are wrong.

If you had asked this question a couple of months ago, I would have thought that she’d be 100% okay to leave Thailand on the 6th and arrive in England on the 7th, the start day of her visa.

But on May 4th this year, when leaving Phuket to fly to Spain with an overnight in a hotel in Moscow airport, a senior member of staff at Phuket check in made a huge deal out of the fact that my Thai girlfriend’s Spain visa’s start date was May 5th, the day after she was leaving Thailand. This person initially said my girlfriend would not be allowed to board the plane but then, after some discussion, she relented and said she could - as though she was doing us a big favour.

So there may be some truth in your friend’s fears.

That said, my girlfriend has flown out of Thailand many times to countries requiring her to have a visa and I’m pretty sure that, at least some of those times, she must have left Thailand the day before the start date of her visa.

Can anyone else shed light on this?

Edited by macahoom

She will be fine, she is not entering the UK until the 7th.

I have personal experience of this.

I imagine that the issue with the Phuket/Spain situation was the overnight stay in Moscow.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

Absolutely should not be a problem, if the check in staff question it then she should just point out the flight arrives the next day.

I wish sometimes Thai ladies would not yak about what they don't know.

I have to get proof in writing so she believes me.

And not the gf who works somewhere in the airport. 

I know the U.K. is strictly sticking to the entry start dates now.

If it says valid from July 7 you will not be allowed to enter before that date.

Unlike Aussie Thai  visas..

They are issued and have a 90 day use period. 

And if TR, it starts from the day you enter Thailand..

Oh, another thing came to light. 

The UK will not allow Thais to enter as tourists with a one way ticket.

It's not well published but entry will be denied if you don't have a departing flight.

The airline can sell you a one way ticket. 

Nothing flags them not to do.

But you will not get through UK immigration. 

Source. Emirates airlines. Last night.

5 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I know the U.K. is strictly sticking to the entry start dates now.

If it says valid from July 7 you will not be allowed to enter before that date.

Yes, UK has always been enforcing this since the introduction of start dates on their visas, you must state the date of travel to UK in the application.

32 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Unless the rules have changed then it is not an absolute requirement to hold a return ticket to enter the UK, the Border Control officer may well ask for proof of return or an itinerary and of course a return ticket would assist in this, although in this day and age it doesn't mean a great deal, as it can be cancelled or altered.

Emirates may request a return during check in.

Unless the rules have changed then it is not an absolute requirement to hold a return ticket to enter the UK, the Border Control officer may well ask for proof of return or an itinerary and of course a return ticket would assist in this, although in this day and age it doesn't mean a great deal, as it can be cancelled or altered.
Emirates may request a return during check in.
No the rules haven’t changed and you’re near enough, a Border Force Officer needs to be satisfied that a passenger seeking admission into the UK will leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit and had the means to do so, certainly a return ticket would satisfy the officer that you have the means to leave, not that you would, but also access to funds would serve the same purpose, an itinerary probably wouldn’t suffice.
Emirates would have no reason to deny a visa holder boarding with a one way ticket as you already have entry clearance, that lets them off the hook.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Emirates would have no reason to deny a visa holder boarding with a one way ticket as you already have entry clearance, that lets them off the hook.

Totally agree, if they were to make an issue about no onward ticket, then the supervisor would need to be involved.

The issue there is if the lady is traveling alone, as most do not like to question what they are told.

My wife was never asked if she had a return ticket when she has flown into the UK even when she was on a visit visa. Having said that, in all but one case she did. It does make sense to have one and certainly on a visit visa. 

Your wife may need to demonstrate that she has the means to leave the UK but does not need to have a return ticket. Be prepared to explain why you only have a one way ticket and what plans you have for her to leave the UK.

We did have problems many years ago because my wife arrived on a single ticket but also had the paperwork for her settlement visa application in her bag. We were still working on it!!!

They decided she intended to apply in the UK (amongst other issues) and she was temporarily refused entry. It got sorted out with the intervention of my MP.

Therefore it might cause some issues on arrival so be prepared for questions! It is not a legal requirement though.

entry officers in my experience always have an issue, if they hold a valid visa and they are the named person on the visa then they should be waved through. Conditions of entry should be cleared prior to granting of the visa. The message is that even if you hold a valid visa and adhere to all the rules there is never any guarantee.

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Yes they will.

I have personal evidence of this.

You will need to have a good story though if questioned by Border Force.

The airline's duty is to ensure that a passenger has a valid visa for their destination.  If they let someobe board without the correct visa they can be fined and required to repatriate that passenger free of charge. I really can't see an airline refusing boarding in this case as the passenger is not seeking to enter before their visa start date.  If they do, I think they have their dates mixed up, they certainly have their rules mixed up and will probably back down when challenged.

39 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

entry officers in my experience always have an issue, if they hold a valid visa and they are the named person on the visa then they should be waved through. Conditions of entry should be cleared prior to granting of the visa. The message is that even if you hold a valid visa and adhere to all the rules there is never any guarantee.

After the first visit it is a lot simpler. My wife was asked many questions for 40 minutes on her first visit and none since apart from how long she intended staying and was she aware that she had x days left on her visit visa. That was about it.

UK immigration have access to a visa application for a visit visa so they can double check anything that was used to apply for the visa in the first place. I think it's a good thing. I wonder how many don't adhere to the rules? Quite a few I would think.

Never any questions since she had her settlement visa.

15 hours ago, theoldgit said:

No the rules haven’t changed and you’re near enough, a Border Force Officer needs to be satisfied that a passenger seeking admission into the UK will leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit and had the means to do so, certainly a return ticket would satisfy the officer that you have the means to leave, not that you would, but also access to funds would serve the same purpose, an itinerary probably wouldn’t suffice.

Correct 

Emirates said they do not check visa validity at check in. 

The onus is on the traveler to have the correct paperwork. 

Its advisable to have the returning flight in the system. 

Because return date was uncertain one way was booked. 

Emirates said they can change to return bookings.

Plus the future date revised for 2000 baht if needed. 

UK border agency can refuse entry as said.

Better to be safe than sorry...

Or my name will be mud.

20 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Correct 

The onus is on the traveler to have the correct paperwork. 

Its advisable to have the returning flight in the system. 

Because return date was uncertain one way was booked. 

Emirates said they can change to return bookings.

Plus the future date revised for 2000 baht if needed. 

UK border agency can refuse entry as said.

Better to be safe than sorry...

Or my name will be mud.

You say above, "Emirates said they do not check visa validity at check in."

Really? Hard to believe. 

You can bet your life that they will check that the visa is valid for the date of travel, if the passenger is denied entry because the visa is not valid they are liable for a fine, the cost of a flight out of the UK and any detention costs.

They will certainly check that the visa is valid for the duration of the initial stay, they will of course be aware that having a return ticket for a certain date doesn't guarantee that the passenger will leave on that date.

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Correct 

I don't know who at Emirates told you that but it is incorrect - all airlines check that passenegers have the correct documentation before allowing them to board.  As I said earlier, airlines receive large fines should a passenger arrive at their destination without such documents. They are also required to repatriate travellers found not to have such documents.

• Confused 1

I have wondered from time to time whether the airlines try to recover the costs from the traveller. I assume not.

I would tend to agree that for safety it might be peace of mind to buy a ticket that can be changed for a relatively small fee.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't know who at Emirates told you that but it is incorrect - all airlines check that passenegers have the correct documentation before allowing them to board.  As I said earlier, airlines receive large fines should a passenger arrive at their destination without such documents. They are also required to repatriate travellers found not to have such documents.

This was Emirates response.

I know that thai in Melbourne certainly check out my Visa/ flights.

But last time I departed in March I had a one way to bkk flight and the retirement extension in my passport. 

And nothing was said.

Anyway. This is what Emirates sent me.

Hi David,

Our online reservation system will not identify visa validity upon booking.

Passengers are responsible to ensure that travel documents are valid upon travel, regardless of the booking channel.

Generally, visa must be valid on arrival.

However, some countries or passports may have restrictions that specify validity prior.

Can you please let me know what passport do your travel companions hold?

I'll check with our airport team. 

Regards,
Fae, Emirates Social Media Team

Maybe this is why they were able to book one ways to the UK without problems. 

At a guess.

The problem would have been when they hit UK customs..

Maybe this is why they were able to book one ways to the UK without problems. 

At a guess.
The problem would have been when they hit UK customs.
There’s no problem booking a one way ticket, it’s actually checking in and boarding the aircraft the aircraft when the ground staff check visas.

On an Emirates flight my wife checked in online and whilst the system allowed her to check in it wouldn’t allow her to print a boarding pass, she had to go to the counter for her visa to be checked, they then issued her boarding pass.
Likewise when she used a self check-in terminal, it wouldn’t issue a boarding pass.
He visa was checked again at the gate and once more in Dubai.

Her visa was also checked on arrival at the UK Border by the Border Force Officer, not Customs, who satisfied there was no material change in her circumstances.

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Our online reservation system will not identify visa validity upon booking.

Passengers are responsible to ensure that travel documents are valid upon travel, regardless of the booking channel.

Generally, visa must be valid on arrival.

Correct as others have pointed out.  You can book without a visa but you will not be allowed to board without the correct documentation and/or visa for your destination.

Make a booking by all means but good luck in trying to get a refund if the visa is not granted.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 2:46 PM, rasg said:

After the first visit it is a lot simpler. My wife was asked many questions for 40 minutes on her first visit and none since apart from how long she intended staying and was she aware that she had x days left on her visit visa. That was about it.

UK immigration have access to a visa application for a visit visa so they can double check anything that was used to apply for the visa in the first place. I think it's a good thing. I wonder how many don't adhere to the rules? Quite a few I would think.

Never any questions since she had her settlement visa.

I agree, in my experience first visits are always scrutinised more closely. As for wether it is a good thing or not is a topic of debate, I have yet to see any evidence that it is a problem. If they are coming here and taking all the jobs then we should see unemployment rising in line with net immigration figures and in fact we see the opposite.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, theoldgit said:

There’s no problem booking a one way ticket, it’s actually checking in and boarding the aircraft the aircraft when the ground staff check visas.

On an Emirates flight my wife checked in online and whilst the system allowed her to check in it wouldn’t allow her to print a boarding pass, she had to go to the counter for her visa to be checked, they then issued her boarding pass.
Likewise when she used a self check-in terminal, it wouldn’t issue a boarding pass.
He visa was checked again at the gate and once more in Dubai.

Her visa was also checked on arrival at the UK Border by the Border Force Officer, not Customs, who satisfied there was no material change in her circumstances.

Strange 

Because I have printed the tickets for both of the thai people flying. 

Its printed and never asked anything about the Visa.

The data incomplete came up and I entered their passport numbers. 

Nothing else. 

It's great to see them doing their job and by the rulebook. 

Just wish a little more was published for first time travel to the UK. 

One of the ladies had her application done by her UK partner. 

I hope she remembers what was in it.

If she gets questioned. 

Edited by dallen52

As you'll be aware you can't board an aircraft with just e-tickets or indeed any tickets.

You will not get boarding cards until the staff have seen the visa, it least I'd be surprised if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

As you'll be aware you can't board an aircraft with just e-tickets or indeed any tickets.

You will not get boarding cards until the staff have seen the visa, it least I'd be surprised if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's an interesting one.

I will feed back obviously for member assistance. 

Just very vague on the process because I have UK and Australian passports. 

So no issues.

One of the travelers is my partner. 

Who had no issues in Australia. 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the UK. 

From an airline and customs point of view.

Thanks for the contributions. ?

It's an interesting one. I will feed back obviously for member assistance.  Just very vague on the process because I have UK and Australian passports. 

So no issues.

One of the travelers is my partner. 

Who had no issues in Australia. 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the UK. 

From an airline and customs point of view.

Thanks for the contributions. [emoji846]

It's very straightforward, not vague at all, if the passenger is a visa national they'll have no problem boarding the flight to the UK providing they have Entry Clearance, a visa, if they don't have a visa they won't be allowed to board the flight to the UK.

As I've said earlier, any carrier that conveys an improperly documented passenger to the UK Border is liable for a fine, the cost of repatriation and any detention costs, that's why carriers take no chances.

On arrival in the UK the Border Force Officer will need to be satisfied that there is no material change in circumstances of those with entry clearance, Customs Officers, whilst now part of the UK Border Force, will have little or no interest in a passengers Immigration status.

• Like 1