Entry to U.K. visa and understanding.

As theoldgit states, the check in staff will ask for the passport and then look to see that there is a valid visa for the final destination, in this case UK, if there is a valid visa in the passport, then they will issue the boarding pass with no issues, if there isn't a valid visa, then they will question the passenger to determine why and if the passenger cannot provide the evidence of being able to enter the destination country, boarding would be denied. 

Good examples of this would be a Thai holding dual British & Thai nationality departing Bangkok for London, if they presented only the Thai passport at check in, then the staff would need to see the British passport, another would be a Thai holding say a 10 year British visit visa in another expired Thai passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

As theoldgit states, the check in staff will ask for the passport and then look to see that there is a valid visa for the final destination, in this case UK, if there is a valid visa in the passport, then they will issue the boarding pass with no issues, if there isn't a valid visa, then they will question the passenger to determine why and if the passenger cannot provide the evidence of being able to enter the destination country, boarding would be denied. 

Good examples of this would be a Thai holding dual British & Thai nationality departing Bangkok for London, if they presented only the Thai passport at check in, then the staff would need to see the British passport, another would be a Thai holding say a 10 year British visit visa in another expired Thai passport.

Appreciate your help and everyone else who contributed. 

The scary part was obviously my friends partner being told that boarding would be denied. 

Because we fly out on the night of the 6th.

But the UK visa is dated, from July 7th. 

(I don't know why they listen, but they do)

And I've virtually had to get a stat dec  to say the information is not correct.

Boarding is not a problem because it's the 7th when they arrive in the uk.

God forbid if I tried to say her friend is wrong... which they would never admit to.

Next time she and my "ex friend" can do it themselves. 

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

Getting confused now.

Dallen52. As I and others have told you, traveller's documentation is only checked at the check in counter.  I cannot see any reason why the airline would deny boarding in the circumstances you describe. The fact that the travel begins on the 6th should not affect you.  The entry where the visa is required is not until the 7th which the airline is fully aware of as they issued the ticket.  If you are still unsure, I suggest you visit Emirates office at Suvarnabhumi in person, well before the flight and check.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I cannot see any reason why the airline would deny boarding in the circumstances you describe. The fact that the travel begins on the 6th should not affect you.

Absolutely, all that Emirates will be concerned about is the fact that the visa is valid upon arrival UK, which it is, there will be no issues I'm sure.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, theoldgit said:

There’s no problem booking a one way ticket, it’s actually checking in and boarding the aircraft the aircraft when the ground staff check visas.

On an Emirates flight my wife checked in online and whilst the system allowed her to check in it wouldn’t allow her to print a boarding pass, she had to go to the counter for her visa to be checked, they then issued her boarding pass.
Likewise when she used a self check-in terminal, it wouldn’t issue a boarding pass.
He visa was checked again at the gate and once more in Dubai.

Her visa was also checked on arrival at the UK Border by the Border Force Officer, not Customs, who satisfied there was no material change in her circumstances.

Interesting footnote to this one. 

Did the online check in tonight and its asked three questions. 

Do you have the required documentation. 

Have you read the dangerous goods section. 

Do you have any electronic devices with batteries in your carry on. 

And then its allowed me to print the physical boarding passes.

All three of them.

Emirates...

I hope there's further checking at the airport. 

Seems to be a bit lax.

20180705_230425.jpg

In cases like this there is usually an area on the boarding pass that needs stamping at check in prior to going to immigration, this is for them to carry out a document check.

I am not convinced that immigration enforce this though.

Personally I hate printed boarding passes like this, too big and flimsy, rather get the proper one anyway, especially if on two flights back to back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to add a close to this topic. 

Bangkok was a breeze.

Too easy. 

Usual Chinese and others not completely filling TM6 cards in.

Flight via Dubai went well.

Interesting to see the check in terminal staff had a visual of the passport and Visa on their screens. 

London was a nightmare. 

Huge delays for incoming none UK people. 

I was through the e gate in 4 minutes. 

My Thai partner was 1 hour 45 minutes. 

Terminal 3.

Her friend. 

The one we were concerned about. 

Got pulled up. 

On the verge of entry refusal. 

My partner spoke much for her.

Needed to show ticket for departure. 

She had no one meeting her. 

Could not contact the man friend in Wales. 

He was working. 

I was requested to go back into immigration to assist and basically vouch for him and her. 

Eventually, all cleared and thumb printed. 

2 hours 15 minutes. 

The official said that next time take them through the UK gate with me.

Very nice after the event. 

We missed our ongoing connections. 

Cost me £120 for new travel. 

We went out ways.

Have since not heard anything from him or her.

4 weeks now.

Not answering my calls. 

And has not sent the 20,000 baht for her airline ticket out of the UK. 

I'm just in the process of canceling her ticket to Thailand. 

I will lose 5000 baht.

The rest goes on the card. Refunded.

A friend in need..

Is a pain in the arse.

And can cost you money too.

Hope there's some useful information in this.?

I doubt the delay was related to the date of the visa.

This sort of delay is seen when there is doubt about the traveller and the reasons for the visit. 

It is very unfortunate for the bone fide  visitor but really the result of misuse of the system by others.

It is the immigration officer that ultimately makes the decision to admit someone not the person issuing the visa.

Only once did we feel the heavy handedness of an immigration officer who had completely made up his mind that my wife's circumstances had changed. I had to be bloody minded with them to allow entry then my MP to clear up the mess.

One way tickets are not a good idea (even if legal).

It is the immigration officer that ultimately makes the decision to admit someone not the person issuing the visa.
As a matter of interest, and apologies for being pedantic, it’s the Border Force Officers superior who actually makes the decision to cancel a visa and deny landing, the person at the Border can only recommend, though I’m sure their recommendations goes a long way.

We’ve only encountered an IO like that once and that was when we were returning to London from a side to Paris and he clearly wanted to deny landing, he was being rude and patronising, maybe I shouldn’t have pulled him up about his tone or mentioned that his interpretation of Immigration Rules was incorrect, but I’m afraid the red mist came down.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 8:01 PM, dallen52 said:

I was through the e gate in 4 minutes. 

My Thai partner was 1 hour 45 minutes. 

Terminal 3.

Very nice after the event. 

We all learn from experience and only know what we know.

It has been discussed many times that immigration do not want to split up 'families'....  I always take my partner with me through the UK line.

I do feel sorry for single Thai travelers, they often seem to be singled out for a greater degree of integration - this can be very intimidating especially on a first visit.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 8:01 PM, dallen52 said:

Yes, if you are traveling to the UK with your Thai partner, then it is no issue to go through the UK / EEC immigration area.

In fact many years ago, in the days when the passports only had a brief look at, I had the opposite, I was in the flight connection area of LHR with my ex. wife and children and in order to ensure the wife had no issues we all went through the non UK / EEC area, despite myself and the boys having UK passports, the immigration officer told me that myself and the boys could not go through there, you can guess my reply!