Trump: Harley-Davidsons being made in Thailand is "the beginning of the end"

webfact

3 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

Tariffs need to be increased first of all. (I am from the US). If the tariffs were higher then the money it costs to outsource products might make companies start to use Americans to produce goods. I believe it is always better to have any country use their own people to do the jobs to get things made, instead of getting poor little Chinese people to make our shoes and toys, and yes I do realize that China is not the only country that companies use to make cheaper products, but its a big one. If tariffs were higher then the companies would not make as much money from foreign people and more local citizens would have jobs, and more businesses would buy materials from inside their own countries...MAGA

Why don't we take it a step further. Let's only make purchases in stores owned by our own countrymen. Walmart has 410 stores in my country. The boycott starts July 1. McDonalds has 1,400. Let's see how many American retail and hospitality stocks tank this summer. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-12/the-1-4-trillion-u-s-surplus-that-trump-s-not-talking-about

Edited by pegman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Honda, Yamaha and co. seem to have coped with building motorcycles here, quite well really. 

Mind you, I don't know how well the Thais are geared up to supply greasy grey pigtails, grubby jeans or garishly painted leather waistcoats, although my local "Tessaban market" does have a stall selling the obligatory red and white spotted hankies...

You may have gathered, I'm not really a motorcyclist!

You should go and have a chat with those nice big bike riders, the farang ones with the tatoos and those nice waist coats with interesting colored thingys on the back.

A spot of tea and cucumber sandwiches and they'd be fascinated by your insight into their culture.

Let us know how you get on. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, lockyv7 said:

if harley go down the tube they only have thenselves to blame, this is $66,700AUD sticker price in thailand. I sometimes think the upper class in Thailand like that the big Harleys are so pricy because they know only people with real money are buying them and the price weeds out the pretenders.  

softail-heritage-gallery-2.thumb.jpg.b972b756a00d75602766db3f4c276e13.jpg.b37462bdab0ef73ab50d1061acda9065.jpg  
The Harley shop in Pattaya had one of those on display last Fall I think it was. Told me it was going for something like 1.2 mil Thai baht.

I love my '03 Heritage Softail Classic but I could see myself being really comfortable on one of the new models as well.

1729742066_2016Buriram.jpg.45482ac44dda87fe09a4cf81da0df462.jpg

• Like 2

The new factory in Rayong was talked about over a year ago and was always intended for the Asian market. I believe that extra manufacturing facilities are now being planned which will affect a factory in Kansas. It was probably on the cards anyway. His self inflicted tax war simply accelerated the decision. 

• Like 2

if the soon to be great again country would learn to work more efficiently, they could in future maybe compete on production cost.
Since that will not be in the near future, the shoot in the foot Donald D ck, imposed tariffs on imports. 
And the "Made in America" iconic brands choose with their feet.

it's a free market, and it worked well.
Having said that, soon we will be back in 1970, back on starting to rebuild a world economy after this uninformed digital, meaning black / white, disruptive choice of a minority of the American people.
Minorities dictating their will in a democratic country is not good for business !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Honda, Yamaha and co. seem to have coped with building motorcycles here, quite well really. 

Mind you, I don't know how well the Thais are geared up to supply greasy grey pigtails, grubby jeans or garishly painted leather waistcoats, although my local "Tessaban market" does have a stall selling the obligatory red and white spotted hankies...

You may have gathered, I'm not really a motorcyclist!

Maybe some of the American Hells Angels will come over and start teaching, eh? Ha!

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

But HD have been producing in Brazil, India and Australia for years. Did that cheapen their value? Why are Harleys produced in India an "American Icon" but Harleys produced in Thailand "cheap copies"? Or is it only when Trump tells you to think in a certain way?

Harleys sold in the USA are made in the USA, the bikes sold outside of the USA are made outside. 

Brigante7.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

For all Americans who now realise they should not have voted Trump in - be careful what you wish for. This is not the end,, the end is discovering what people think of you and how influential you really are in the world.

Donald will be happy to show you.

And what about all the poor misguided souls that voted for the former one and who are now finding out that he was everything but good for the US, divided the people and most of all showed he was a a controlled robot.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This is not outsourcing, HD is going to build units in the market where it sells them, a logical and sensible business decision.

Actually, Thailand will be picking up the production of parts that were built in the closed KC plant. HD wants to use lower non-union labor and they only way to do this is to go offshore.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article197340544.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/387120-harley-davidson-to-open-plant-in-thailand-after-closing-one-in-kansas-city

3 minutes ago, MunkyBoogar said:

Actually, Thailand will be picking up the production of parts that were built in the closed KC plant. HD wants to use lower non-union labor and they only way to do this is to go offshore.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article197340544.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/387120-harley-davidson-to-open-plant-in-thailand-after-closing-one-in-kansas-city

Your link says, "The plant under construction in Thailand is a separate and unrelated issue. Part of our long-term strategy is to grow our international business to 50 percent of our annual volume by 2027. The Thailand facility will allow us to be competitive and provide riders greater access to our brand and our products in an expanding global marketplace,” the company said in a statement obtained by the Journal Sentinel".

Your other link says, "The company has said it is not shipping jobs overseas. Rather, the plant in Thailand as well as plants in Brazil and India serve those markets and were built because tariff barriers make it cost-prohibitive to ship American-made bikes to those markets."

Did you read the links before you posted them!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Your link says, "The plant under construction in Thailand is a separate and unrelated issue. Part of our long-term strategy is to grow our international business to 50 percent of our annual volume by 2027. The Thailand facility will allow us to be competitive and provide riders greater access to our brand and our products in an expanding global marketplace,” the company said in a statement obtained by the Journal Sentinel".

There are many articles pertaining to the closing of the KC plant and the shift to more production in Thailand. HD chose to move offshore because they can make more profit with non-union labor and at offshore sites with a exponentially lower minimum wage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2