Chinese tourist, 23, drowns at Phuket beach

snoop1130

Chinese tourist, 23, drowns at Phuket beach

image.jpg

Lifeguards perform CPR on the victim at Karon Beach. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- A 23-year-old Chinese tourist drowned at Karon Beach this afternoon after going into the sea despite red flags being placed along the beach.

At 2pm today (June 28), a group of Chinese tourists were playing in the sea in front of the Karon stadium.

There were already rip currents in the area so lifeguards had placed red warning flags along the beach.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-23-drowns-at-phuket-beach-67674.php#Yfg0XZ0IrT5sxtyU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-6-28

Very sad. I know he should have heeded the red flags but to be frank he may come from the interior of the mainland and not have been to many beaches or understood the dangers from strong currents. A good friend of mine got caught out on a Bali beach and almost lost his life. Luckily the life guards were on their game and fished him out before it got serious.

I thought I’d get a sympathetic response in before the unsympathetic one’s pour in. ?

• Haha 1

Two lifeguards for the entire beach? And a "tourist" surfer performed the rescue! Ridiculous! Good job Phuket Government! I'm sure there will be more with the monsoon season just really starting here.

"Two lifeguards stationed at the beach warned the tourists against swimming in the area three or four times but the tourists ignored the warnings.

At the same time, another group of tourists also entered the water and one of the group got caught in the rip currents and the rest of the group were calling for help.

Due to the low number of lifeguards stationed at the beach they were unable to deal with the two groups at the same time.

However, a tourist who was surfing at the beach managed to reach the tourist caught in the rip and brought him back to shore where CPR was performed."

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-23-drowns-at-phuket-beach-67674.php#hsdxE861e4uZY3fk.99