Small commuter bike - no scooter

CLW

I'm thinking about replacing my old Kawasaki GTO with something newer.

Let's say water cooled and disk brakes.

First I had a look at second hand Honda CBR 150. Prices are quite steep even for old models. And I would like to replace the handlebars to Touring style and for a more comfortable riding position.

So I looked at new models on the market :

Honda CB150 R. Quite expensive for what you get. Ugly exhaust.

Yamaha M SLAZ. Looks like the tail has been cut off.

Suzuki GSX-S 150. My favourite so far. Not very popular amongst Thais. Why?

GPX CR 200. Unbeatable price. Engine is okay I think. Little bit concerned about the other parts.

Open to suggestions or owners of the above mentioned bikes that can report how they are.

Do you consider 250 / 300cc bikes?

My GFs brother has a GPX, and his bike likes to have problems, but no idea what model or what exactly the problems are

You forgot to look at Kawasaki:

Kawasaki D-Tracker

Kawasaki Z125 (or Honda MSX)

Kawasaki W175

If you consider the CBR 150 you can also look at the Yamaha R15

And you can have a look at Stallions and Lifan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CLW said:

I'm thinking about replacing my old Kawasaki GTO with something newer.

Let's say water cooled and disk brakes.

First I had a look at second hand Honda CBR 150. Prices are quite steep even for old models. And I would like to replace the handlebars to Touring style and for a more comfortable riding position.

So I looked at new models on the market :

Honda CB150 R. Quite expensive for what you get. Ugly exhaust.

Yamaha M SLAZ. Looks like the tail has been cut off.

Suzuki GSX-S 150. My favourite so far. Not very popular amongst Thais. Why?

GPX CR 200. Unbeatable price. Engine is okay I think. Little bit concerned about the other parts.

Open to suggestions or owners of the above mentioned bikes that can report how they are.

Where will you ride it? What are your priorities? What are you willing to pay?

At least some of the bikes you mention are mini sport bikes. If you have to change the handlebars then the bike was not designed for what you want to use it for.

Maybe you can mention the kinds of streets you will use (highway, village roads). Stop and go traffic in a big city? Do you want power? Do you need storage space?

For me it seems lots of people buy bikes according to how they look (like looks like a fast sports bike) but then people use it for something totally different. Buy a bike which was designed for what you want to use it for.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For me it seems lots of people buy bikes according to how they look

Same for cars. People are people. 98.8% use bikes and cars for transport and are not really interested in how,why,what etc..

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At least some of the bikes you mention are mini sport bikes. If you have to change the handlebars then the bike was not designed for what you want to use it for.

Maybe you can mention the kinds of streets you will use (highway, village roads). Stop and go traffic in a big city? Do you want power? Do you need storage space?

For me it seems lots of people buy bikes according to how they look (like looks like a fast sports bike) but then people use it for something totally different. Buy a bike which was designed for what you want to use it for.

well, if i'm anyway going to be stuck in traffic cue,

might as well be pounded by a wide girth piston

with all the vibrations that entail, to make the waiting worth while.

likewise, i crave for torque in town every bit as much as i do on the high road,

to literally jump over a lane to the lane i want to get at, from standstill,

without getting run over or cause anger

I would go for a 2nd hand farang owned 300cc bike, bit better power for getting ahead of traffic from lights, over taking and hilly country roads. I don't see the sense of buying new, so many low klm 2nd hand ones around to suit your budget. CBR 300, z300 etc. 

• Like 2

Do you consider 250 / 300cc bikes?

My GFs brother has a GPX, and his bike likes to have problems, but no idea what model or what exactly the problems are

You forgot to look at Kawasaki:
Kawasaki D-Tracker
Kawasaki Z125 (or Honda MSX)
Kawasaki W175

If you consider the CBR 150 you can also look at the Yamaha R15

And you can have a look at Stallions and Lifan

Also considering bigger bikes.

Like the Kawasaki Versys 300.

D-Tracker too uncomfortable.
MSX too small.
W175 has drum brake at the back.

Stallions I know but don't like the design.
What has Lifan to offer?
I know Ryuka and Keeway.

What! [emoji50]

GTO is the new cool bike there are two customized ones on my soi.  Fancy aluminium swing arm, you could add new forks and disc brake. etc. 
Put an expansion chamber on it. 

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655755

Up to you but....

Some imagination, a lick of paint, some allow rims,  needs an expansion chamber but...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3281916%26d=1331136849&key=e604750695a3b79c8bacd7fd57cb227a1d349812af58d5b427e7b721379d6716

Much nicer than any modern offering.

Of course keeping the GTO for Sunday rides.
In original condition [emoji4]

Mostly commuting to work in Bangkok.
But also riding up country and tours.
Need small and reliable bike.
GTO had two engine failures during a tour caused by overheating.
Riding alone and not fast.
Therefore small cc bike is enough.
Small budget but willing to finance if necessary.

I would go for a 2nd hand farang owned 300cc bike, bit better power for getting ahead of traffic from lights, over taking and hilly country roads. I don't see the sense of buying new, so many low klm 2nd hand ones around to suit your budget. CBR 300, z300 etc. 
Good point.
Have been riding the Honda CBR 300 F a few times as rental bike up north.
Liked it very much.

OK. Is performance the key? How about a Stallion" or Stallion look alike? 

Me? I' d probably buy the Suzuki. Why? For the reason you gave [emoji846]

Had a quick look at Stallions.

I'm not so much into retro style.

Buccaneer 250 is nice though.

Need to have a look at the Suzuki and do more research.

Only downside of it is the negligible seat for the pillion. Looks already painful and uncomfortable.

With your requirements of small bike, small budget, comfortable and a MSX style bike being to small it's probably down to the bikes you mentioned in your first post already: GSX-S150, CB150, M-Slaz

Just get a used one 1-3 years old with less than 10k km, not much that can go wrong with it. If you want to change the bike to a bigger one in the future it won't cost you much money

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bung said:

I would go for a 2nd hand farang owned 300cc bike, bit better power for getting ahead of traffic from lights

This is one thing you don't want to do. Let other people get run down by a "red light driver".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

KTM Thailand say they sell the 200 Duke here. 

Do they? 

KTM price list TH from last month:

Duke 200: 129,900

Duke 250: 179,900

Duke 390 (old model): 199,900

Duke 390 (new model): 209,900

Finance available from 5% down payment, 4.5% to max 7% per year

https://www.ktm.com/th/naked/

I just bought a 390 (2017), I like it very much!

They all have the same frame so the 390 is not bigger than the 200 but with 44HP lots of fun.

I would think twice about buying a KTM for driving on long trips outside Bangkok because as far as I know they have very few dealers around the country. If you break i.e. a lever you want to be able to go to the next shop and don't wait for delivery from Bangkok...

• Like 1

KTM price list TH from last month:
Duke 200: 129,900
Duke 250: 179,900
Duke 390 (old model): 199,900
Duke 390 (new model): 209,900
Finance available from 5% down payment, 4.5% to max 7% per year
https://www.ktm.com/th/naked/

I just bought a 390 (2017), I like it very much!
They all have the same frame so the 390 is not bigger than the 200 but with 44HP lots of fun.

I would think twice about buying a KTM for driving on long trips outside Bangkok because as far as I know they have very few dealers around the country. If you break i.e. a lever you want to be able to go to the next shop and don't wait for delivery from Bangkok...

Thanks for the quick reply.
Out of my budget range unfortunately.

Also the last paragraph that you mentioned about dealers up country put me off.

34 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

This is one thing you don't want to do. Let other people get run down by a "red light driver".

No, you take off with everyone else when it's green looking out for said red light runners. Power ahead of the masses so you don't have to ride in a pack and have cars push you out of your lane and have to ride inches away from parked cars where someone will open a door on you. Get ahead and have the road to yourself on a bike that has the speed to do this is much better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bung said:

No, you take off with everyone else when it's green looking out for said red light runners. Power ahead of the masses so you don't have to ride in a pack and have cars push you out of your lane and have to ride inches away from parked cars where someone will open a door on you. Get ahead and have the road to yourself on a bike that has the speed to do this is much better. 

Thai drivers usually accelerate very slow, so you can do this on a 125cc scooter 2 up, just full throttle and you are ahead 95% of the other drivers. Did you ever drive a scooter or small bike in Thailand?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Sorry I didn't explain it better...I will attempt to explain it to you slowly using small words. If you manage to get to the front at lights you take off with everyone else, then you power away. Pretty obvious isn't it? You want to cherry pick quotes to make it look like what I said was wrong. Nice try. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thai drivers usually accelerate very slow, so you can do this on a 125cc scooter 2 up, just full throttle and you are ahead 95% of the other drivers. Did you ever drive a scooter or small bike in Thailand?

Yes, I've ridden here for over 20 years with no accidents. Everything from scooters to 100 hp sport bikes

39 minutes ago, Bung said:

If you manage to get to the front at lights you take off with everyone else, then you power away.

No, I'm not trying to "cherry pick quotes". I'm just telling you that almost all victims in traffic-light intersections, are the ones who take off first. At what point is your plan to "power away"?

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, I'm not trying to "cherry pick quotes". I'm just telling you that almost all victims in traffic-light intersections, are the ones who take off first. At what point is your plan to "power away"?

Sigh.... Maybe the vacuum is between your ears...do you think that anyone that takes off first is going to be hit by a red light runner? 99.99% of the time people manage to leave a set of lights without being hit. If you don't get it maybe just take a sorngtaew. Next time I power away I will try and give you exact distances ok? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bung said:

do you think that anyone that takes off first is going to be hit by a red light runner?

Read my post again:

that almost all victims in traffic-light intersections, are the ones who take off first