Spanish Long Term visa for Thai girlfriend

Hi

I am Irish but resident in Gran Canaria, Spain for the last 2 years.  Previously I lived in Thailand for 15 years.

My Thai girlfriend has visited me in Spain already 2 times on a tourist visa but maximum allowed is 90 days in every 180 days.  

I want to apply for a long term visa of 1 year (or more) for her to stay in Spain but I am not sure of the best way to go about this.  BLS Spain Visa only process short term visas and recommended that I contact the Spanish embassy directly 

I looked at their website, however, my Spanish is not good enough to complete forms and documents.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on how to proceed?

Do I need to use an agent and if so any recommendations?

I went into this few years back. You need to find a Spanish lawyer who can deal with immigration. You should have no problem finding one in Tenerife  that speaks good English. I found a couple on the Internet and they claimed no problems with it. I am Uk passport and was considering going back to Spain to live with my Thai wife. I lived in Malloca for 4 years in the mid 70's.

As above. Lawyer versed in immigration is essential and an actual requirement.

There are no guaranteed results as Spain reserves the right to refuse entry without giving a reason.

The successful holiday visas should stand in your favour to some degree.

The most popular method is to get a shengen visa issued in another shengen member country and use that to move to your desired location but if you are from a non shengen state, like the UK, that option is not available to you.

Loads of paperwork and pricey! Spanish law in bureaucracy is very fluid so you need bang up to date information.

We applied twice, family member turned down, total stranger (staff) passed.

Thanks for the replies. 

Interesting and not what I was expecting.

I was thinking that I would have to do everything in Thailand rather than Spain.  I have contacted a few agents (not lawyers) in Bangkok and they all say that it is not possible unless you are married.  I was hoping they would consider something like a "common law marriage" as we have been living together for years.

I will contact lawyers in Gran Canaria now and see what they recommend.  

There is said a lot of nonsense here so far, my country fellow. 

Your partner has to apply for a National Visa, issued by Spanish government only. No visa service can do it. Application personally at Spanish embassy or consulate. If she fulfills the requirements she will get a residence permit in Spain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nss70 said:

As above. Lawyer versed in immigration is essential and an actual requirement.

There are no guaranteed results as Spain reserves the right to refuse entry without giving a reason.

The successful holiday visas should stand in your favour to some degree.

The most popular method is to get a shengen visa issued in another shengen member country and use that to move to your desired location but if you are from a non shengen state, like the UK, that option is not available to you.

Loads of paperwork and pricey! Spanish law in bureaucracy is very fluid so you need bang up to date information.

We applied twice, family member turned down, total stranger (staff) passed.

Totally BS

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

I went into this few years back. You need to find a Spanish lawyer who can deal with immigration. You should have no problem finding one in Tenerife  that speaks good English. I found a couple on the Internet and they claimed no problems with it. I am Uk passport and was considering going back to Spain to live with my Thai wife. I lived in Malloca for 4 years in the mid 70's.

Totally nonsense 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

You don't need to ask any lawyer at all 

Thanks for the reply.

I looked on the Spanish embassy website but it is all in Spanish but with google translate I could work out some details.

There is a link from their website to a Spanish website and an option for Long Term visas.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/BANGKOK/en/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Pages/VisadosDeLargaDuracion.aspx

On that page, there is a link to download application forms (again all in Spanish) but I am not sure which application form to download.  

http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/index.html

It's not family reunification and it is not for work.  Maybe I should just complete one of those to the best of my ability but again, it is all in Spanish so difficult to complete properly.

I have emailed the Spanish embassy to ask for advice but as yet haven't heard anything back yet.

8 minutes ago, appleman_thai said:

Thanks for the reply.

I looked on the Spanish embassy website but it is all in Spanish but with google translate I could work out some details.

There is a link from their website to a Spanish website and an option for Long Term visas.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/BANGKOK/en/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Pages/VisadosDeLargaDuracion.aspx

On that page, there is a link to download application forms (again all in Spanish) but I am not sure which application form to download.  

http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/index.html

It's not family reunification and it is not for work.  Maybe I should just complete one of those to the best of my ability but again, it is all in Spanish so difficult to complete properly.

I have emailed the Spanish embassy to ask for advice but as yet haven't heard anything back yet.

Again: you are an EU National and entitled to live anywhere in EU.!! I your partner has to apply for a National Visa for Spain in Bangkok, if she lives there. 

15 minutes ago, appleman_thai said:

Thanks for the reply.

https://www.expatica.com/new/es/moving/visas/visas-and-immigration-102354/#long

17 minutes ago, appleman_thai said:

Thanks for the reply.

You have to tick the box on top of that page where you have the choice between Spanish or English. Wish you Good luck. Where are you from. I'm a Limerick man 

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Fantastic.  Thanks for that link.

Having read it, it seems as though they will accept "common law partner".

As I am Irish I have no problems and have my NIE and Residency already sorted.  This is just for my Thai partner to join me there.

I think it is clear now.  I should complete Application Form EX02 for family reunification and go to the Spanish Embassy in Bangkok to submit it.   And see what happens from there.

Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated.

PS born in Dublin but family from Limerick and Kerry.

43 minutes ago, appleman_thai said:

As I am Irish I have no problems and have my NIE and Residency already sorted.  This is just for my Thai partner to join me there.

I think it is clear now.  I should complete Application Form EX02 for family reunification and go to the Spanish Embassy in Bangkok to submit it.   And see what happens from there.

Have a great time on the Canaries. 

BTW, the visa will take appr 8 weeks.

When your partner will be with you look for a Spanish local citizen to register your partner. It's definitely impossible without speaking Spanish. It will cost you appr 100 Euro. If you're lucky she will get the Residence permit for longer than 1 year only.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

There is said a lot of nonsense here so far, my country fellow. 

Your partner has to apply for a National Visa, issued by Spanish government only. No visa service can do it. Application personally at Spanish embassy or consulate. If she fulfills the requirements she will get a residence permit in Spain. 

Agree with this.. 

As an EU citizen in a 3rd member state its actually easier than with a domestic national asking to bring a partner.. Of course if you have any issues its not hard to target an easier schengen country.. Portugal practically hands them out. 

Looks like things have changed for the better! I must admit I assumed you were trying to achieve this from within Spanish borders. I imagine dealing with the Spanish consulate in Thailand would be beneficial.

I bow to more recent knowledge and hope it's correct.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, shaurene said:

maybe I am over simplyfing this but surely there’s a huge difference in th status of a wife as agaianst a girlfriend, which is what the OP’s lady is ? 

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Have a great time on the Canaries. 

BTW, the visa will take appr 8 weeks.

When your partner will be with you look for a Spanish local citizen to register your partner. It's definitely impossible without speaking Spanish. It will cost you appr 100 Euro. If you're lucky she will get the Residence permit for longer than 1 year only.

Thanks mate.  Appreciate the help and the advice.

I was very reluctant to leave Thailand after 15 years and that I was a definite "lifer" but I rustled up the courage and made the move 2 years ago.  Gran Canaria is amazing - such a better lifestyle than Thailand and much easier to work and make a decent living.  What's even better is my Thai partner also loves it there.... but if it was Ireland I think the weather would get to here LOL

38 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

maybe I am over simplyfing this but surely there’s a huge difference in th status of a wife as agaianst a girlfriend, which is what the OP’s lady is ? 

It is a very valid observation.  Normally it would be much easier if we are married but there is such a thing as a common law partner which Spain accepts.  It's basically that we are living together and partners but just havent got married.  I am hoping to apply on this basis

13 hours ago, appleman_thai said:

Thanks mate.  Appreciate the help and the advice.

I was very reluctant to leave Thailand after 15 years and that I was a definite "lifer" but I rustled up the courage and made the move 2 years ago.  Gran Canaria is amazing - such a better lifestyle than Thailand and much easier to work and make a decent living.  What's even better is my Thai partner also loves it there.... but if it was Ireland I think the weather would get to here LOL

I'm going home next week. Need the spirit. My Thai wife loves the cold weather, the rain and the "special green" and Ballybunion 

20 hours ago, appleman_thai said:

I am reading this thread with interest and I, for one, would be very, very interested to see how this turns out for you.

I'd really appreciate it if you would please keep us updated on how it goes. 

Thank you!

15 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Not sure that there's that huge a difference, this is 2018 not 1918.

Many countries recognise that some couples choose not to get a bit of paper confirming that they're actually a couple, when my wife was my girlfriend she applied for visas for the UK and the Netherlands based on the fact we were in a subsisting relationship akin to marriage, she was issued with longer term visas from both countries, of course whilst she wasn't able to produce a marriage certificate she did have to provide evidence that we were actually living together and had been doing so for in excess of two years.

You may be aware that an unmarried partner of a British Citizen can apply for a Settlement Visa providing they can demonstrate they are in a subsisting relationship and have been in that relationship for more than two years. 

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I'm going home next week. Need the spirit. My Thai wife loves the cold weather, the rain and the "special green" and Ballybunion 

Wow - not many Thais would be able to survive the Irish weather....... you're lucky.

Ballybunion is great - the whole of Kerry is great.  But the weather just screws it all up.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Not sure that there's that huge a difference, this is 2018 not 1918.

Many countries recognise that some couples choose not to get a bit of paper confirming that they're actually a couple, when my wife was my girlfriend she applied for visas for the UK and the Netherlands based on the fact we were in a subsisting relationship akin to marriage, she was issued with longer term visas from both countries, of course whilst she wasn't able to produce a marriage certificate she did have to provide evidence that we were actually living together and had been doing so for in excess of two years.

You may be aware that an unmarried partner of a British Citizen can apply for a Settlement Visa providing they can demonstrate they are in a subsisting relationship and have been in that relationship for more than two years. 

Yeah - that's what I am hoping.  I will have plenty of proof including rental contracts, utility bills in our names.  And SO many photos LOL.  All they will need to do is check her Facebook feed LOL.  

• 1 month later...

Update on my visa request.

Following contact directly with the embassy they recommended applying for a non-lucrative visa.  Required a lot of other documents including police clearance, medical etc but we were able to provide all.  However, they required the equivalent of 2,100 euros for every month of her intended stay to be deposited and lodged in her own account.  It was not enough to have in my account and act as guarantor and sponsor.  This meant she would have to show a monthly income of 2100 euros and also over 20k on deposit.  Not possible or realistic.   Their recommendation was marriage.  It seems to be the only solution to get a long term visa unless I can get her a job offer.  

Thanks to all for their input and support.

We have proceeded with another tourist visa in the meantime.

• Like 1